A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 09:32:16 am
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Will we have our first 'stormgasm' of the season tomorrow?  (Read 5939 times)
Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

I might be moving to Anguilla soon...

« on: April 01, 2010, 10:10:56 pm »

I ask as a former trained spotter (didn't get out to get re-certified by NWS).

Some of the readings out in Western OK are pretty ripe for storms, but only if the rains are small enough tomorrow morning that the atmosphere has time to rebound.  The computer models can't seem to agree.

Anyway, prepare.  Tomorrow night if you have shows you watch you may get pre-empted some.

Libertarianism is a system of beliefs for people who think adolescence is the epitome of human achievement.

Global warming isn't real because it was cold today.  Also great news: world famine is over because I just ate - Stephen Colbert.

Somebody find Guido an ambulance to chase...
godboko71
Philanthropist

« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2010, 10:17:31 pm »

I ask as a former trained spotter (didn't get out to get re-certified by NWS).

Some of the readings out in Western OK are pretty ripe for storms, but only if the rains are small enough tomorrow morning that the atmosphere has time to rebound.  The computer models can't seem to agree.

Anyway, prepare.  Tomorrow night if you have shows you watch you may get pre-empted some.

Oh tomorrow is Friday, almost had me worried I might miss T.V.

I think the winter storms had pretty bad stormgasm's considering how wild they where. So won't really be the first of the year, though the first Thunderstorm stormgasms.

Either way I would enjoy some "weather."

Thank you,
Robert Town
Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2010, 10:18:03 pm »

As long as I only get interrupted by weather reports I'll be OK.

patric
T-Town Elder

These Aren't the Droids You're Looking For

« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2010, 10:41:47 pm »

"Fringe" was already on tonight, so Im good  Grin

...but my favorite storm-chaser moments are when these highly trained people get close to a funnel and freak out so bad that broadcasters have to beep-out their expletives, or they forget how to use their camera (or that they are even holding a camera), etc.

"Tulsa will lay off police and firemen before we will cut back on unnecessarily wasteful streetlights."  -- March 18, 2009 TulsaNow Forum
Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2010, 11:26:36 pm »

"Fringe" was already on tonight, so Im good  Grin

...but my favorite storm-chaser moments are when these highly trained people get close to a funnel and freak out so bad that broadcasters have to beep-out their expletives, or they forget how to use their camera (or that they are even holding a camera), etc.

You might be surprised that the chasers on the local stations aren't necessarily NWS trained.  Their respective meteos may have given them what to look for in a storm to pick a tornado, but I knew several that never certified with the NWS.

Libertarianism is a system of beliefs for people who think adolescence is the epitome of human achievement.

Global warming isn't real because it was cold today.  Also great news: world famine is over because I just ate - Stephen Colbert.

Breadburner
City Father

« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2010, 05:43:19 am »

I wish Wilbur would get his website back up........

sauerkraut
City Father

I Conquered The 2013 -2015 Polar Bear Plunge!!

« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2010, 08:17:17 am »

More of that "Crying Wolf" season. It's only a matter of time before that results in deaths- One day a real twister will be barreling down on some city and the residents will tune it out as just being more silly hype and weathermen playing around with all those new radar toys. Undecided

Proud Global  Warming Deiner! Earth Is Getting Colder NOT Warmer!
BKDotCom
City Father

« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2010, 08:28:43 am »

More of that "Crying Wolf" season. It's only a matter of time before that results in deaths- One day a real twister will be barreling down on some city and the residents will tune it out as just being more silly hype and weathermen playing around with all those new radar toys. Undecided
I think everyone trusts the "there's a tornado" 5 min away from your house forecasting...
It's the "there's going to be major whatever weather tomorrow, next-Tuesday, etc that has a poor track record.
Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2010, 08:31:40 am »

So what would you rather them do, Omaha?  Not report at all?  Being a trained spotter, I'd err on the side of caution.

I lived in the Texas Gulf Coast region for three years during the time when Andrew was barreling through.  The City Manager of Galveston didn't know whether to call for the evacuation or not.  She eventually erred on the side of caution and did.  She got raked through the coals when the storm hit further east.  She also said that if she was going to take a beating, it was going to be because she called for an unneccesary evacuation, not because she got people killed.

Amen.

If people tune out the weathermen, and I say this in all honesty, then they do so at their own peril.  It may be an annoyance, but I'll take that annoyance, thank you very much.

And if you don't buy a WeatherAlert radio living in this part of the country if you have the resources to do so, you're nuts.  That's JMO though.  Because the NWS isn't looking for 'face time' on the TV.

sauerkraut
City Father

« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2010, 09:16:40 am »

I think everyone trusts the "there's a tornado" 5 min away from your house forecasting...
It's the "there's going to be major whatever weather tomorrow, next-Tuesday, etc that has a poor track record.
The problem is every time there is dark cloud over head the TV and radio stations go nuts, Sunday nite KRMG ran that silly severe weather warning alarm. I think the stations should only act when there is indeed a tornado threat or one on the ground. As it is now many people I know just tune out the severe weather warnings and I do too. They should act ONLY if severe weather is coming NOT a rain storm or a thunderstorm, it's all way overblown and  People start to ignore them thinking it's just hype and one day it won't be it will be a real tornado and no one will pay attention. The weathermen are also getting in the act with winterstorms too, they hype up a few snow flakes.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2010, 09:19:28 am by sauerkraut » Logged

Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2010, 01:50:03 pm »

The problem is every time there is dark cloud over head the TV and radio stations go nuts, Sunday nite KRMG ran that silly severe weather warning alarm. I think the stations should only act when there is indeed a tornado threat or one on the ground. As it is now many people I know just tune out the severe weather warnings and I do too. They should act ONLY if severe weather is coming NOT a rain storm or a thunderstorm, it's all way overblown and  People start to ignore them thinking it's just hype and one day it won't be it will be a real tornado and no one will pay attention. The weathermen are also getting in the act with winterstorms too, they hype up a few snow flakes.

Guess why they did it, non-res?

Because not only Tulsa County can pick up KRMG.

There were 33 total warnings/statements for just those counties that border Tulsa.

Like I've said before, tune out those warnings at your own peril.

RecycleMichael
truth teller
T-Town Elder

« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2010, 07:27:34 pm »

KRMG stands for Kerr-McGee.

When Robert S. Kerr became Governor of Oklahoma in the 1940s, he wanted a radio station that he could hear in both of Tulsa and Oklahoma City.

He built six towers and a 50,000 watt station.   

Power is nothing till you use it.
patric
T-Town Elder

These Aren't the Droids You're Looking For

« Reply #12 on: May 09, 2010, 03:23:26 pm »

Any electronics you really want to keep, unplug them tonight.

For computers, that also means disconnecting the phone line or network, and any peripherals that connect to more than just the computer.

"Tulsa will lay off police and firemen before we will cut back on unnecessarily wasteful streetlights."  -- March 18, 2009 TulsaNow Forum
sauerkraut
City Father

« Reply #13 on: May 13, 2010, 02:13:49 pm »

Guess why they did it, non-res?

Because not only Tulsa County can pick up KRMG.

There were 33 total warnings/statements for just those counties that border Tulsa.

Like I've said before, tune out those warnings at your own peril.

Guess what- people start to tune that out, too much crying wolf. We can't run to the storm celler every time a rain cloud passes overhead. After a while that gets ignored and then when a real tornado is barreling down people will just tune out the weather report- Even Worse I heard that Tulsa tornado horns blast off with a different pattern for different storms, who came remember the sound pattern for flooding or strong straight line winds and for a tornado anyhow? The horns should go off for a torndao only nothing else. At least That's how we do it in Omaha! Cool

Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

« Reply #14 on: May 13, 2010, 03:32:10 pm »

Guess what- people start to tune that out, too much crying wolf. We can't run to the storm celler every time a rain cloud passes overhead. After a while that gets ignored and then when a real tornado is barreling down people will just tune out the weather report- Even Worse I heard that Tulsa tornado horns blast off with a different pattern for different storms, who came remember the sound pattern for flooding or strong straight line winds and for a tornado anyhow? The horns should go off for a torndao only nothing else. At least That's how we do it in Omaha! Cool

Then stay in Omaha...

And I for one am glad they do it this way.  I was part of the Memorial Day flood in 1984.

When Omaha has the same flooding problems that Tulsa had pre storm-water mitigation, they would likely do the same.

If you don't like it, ignore it.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org