A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 12:44:13 am
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Google 1Gb/s Fiber Looking for Test Cities  (Read 6054 times)
brianh
« on: February 10, 2010, 04:12:19 pm »

from ars technica

"Google has just announced  a trial run of its new scheme, and it's asking city, county, or state officials to let it know if they're interested in a pilot project. In its initial phase, the fiber optic network will serve anywhere from 50,000 to 500,000 people."

There is a citizen and government official sign up page here: http://www.google.com/appserve/fiberrfi/public/options

They said it might end up just being used for research or for full on future development across the country, but I think it would be nice to pressure Cox a bit.
TURobY
Social Butterfly
City Father

« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2010, 04:24:20 pm »

from ars technica

"Google has just announced  a trial run of its new scheme, and it's asking city, county, or state officials to let it know if they're interested in a pilot project. In its initial phase, the fiber optic network will serve anywhere from 50,000 to 500,000 people."

There is a citizen and government official sign up page here: http://www.google.com/appserve/fiberrfi/public/options

They said it might end up just being used for research or for full on future development across the country, but I think it would be nice to pressure Cox a bit.

If nothing else, it would provide further competition. I submitted a request for Tulsa. I suggest that you submit one as well.

---Robert
stageidea
Civic Leader

« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2010, 11:00:18 am »

This would be awesome if we could get it.  We could certainly use the competition.  

godboko71
Philanthropist

« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2010, 12:05:00 pm »

This would be awesome if we could get it.  We could certainly use the competition. 

Don't forget to fill out the form.

Thank you,
Robert Town
dsjeffries
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2010, 01:41:58 pm »

My nomination was turned in last night.
stageidea
Civic Leader

« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2010, 02:30:39 pm »

Thanks submitted mine as well, yesterday..

Don't forget to fill out the form.

TheArtist
T-Town Elder

« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2010, 04:42:44 pm »

What is Coxs advertised "speed"?

I used this....

http://bandwidthplace.com/

to test my upload/download speed
« Last Edit: February 12, 2010, 04:53:21 pm by TheArtist » Logged

"When you only have two pennies left in the world, buy a loaf of bread with one, and a lily with the other."-Chinese proverb. "Arts a staple. Like bread or wine or a warm coat in winter. Those who think it is a luxury have only a fragment of a mind. Mans spirit grows hungry for art in the same way h
nathanm
T-Town Elder

« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2010, 04:47:45 pm »

What is Coxs advertised "speed"?
Premier is 25Mbps (with Powerboost). The real speed is 20Mbps at the moment.

"Labor is prior to and independent of capital. Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if labor had not first existed. Labor is the superior of capital, and deserves much the higher consideration" --Abraham Lincoln
patric
T-Town Elder

These Aren't the Droids You're Looking For

« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2010, 07:03:45 pm »

Premier is 25Mbps (with Powerboost). The real speed is 20Mbps at the moment.

"PowerBoost" is a compression technology that gives the illusion of a temporary increase in download speeds above and beyond the tier of service. It's good for the first 10 MB or 10 secs of a download, but it's a little white lie that lets providers misrepresent their true sustained speeds.

The second fastest advertised speed is up to 24 Mbps for at&t Max Turbo U-verse.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AT&T_U-verse#U-verse_Internet
I dont know it that includes any compression though.

In any case, more choices are better, and competition keeps prices under control.
Bring it on!

"Tulsa will lay off police and firemen before we will cut back on unnecessarily wasteful streetlights."  -- March 18, 2009 TulsaNow Forum
nathanm
T-Town Elder

« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2010, 09:19:43 pm »

"PowerBoost" is a compression technology that gives the illusion of a temporary increase in download speeds above and beyond the tier of service. It's good for the first 10 MB or 10 secs of a download, but it's a little white lie that lets providers misrepresent their true sustained speeds.
It's not compression, they just don't enforce the cap on the first few seconds of any given connection. That means you can get up to 38Mbps (the total amount of bandwidth available on a single DOCSIS 2.0 carrier) for the first bit of the download if your node is otherwise completely unused.

at&t similarly misrepresents U-Verse speeds, in that if you are watching HD channels, it cuts into your Internet bandwidth unless you have the 10Mbps tier or lower. However, if you manage to get Internet without TV or just never watch HD channels, you won't run into that particular issue. The problem is that the total bandwidth between your house and the VRAD is currently capped at 32Mbps.

Max 18 and Max 24 are also distance limited. Some users are too far from the VRAD and only have 25Mbps between the VRAD and their house. Those folks only get one HD channel at a time and 10 Mbps Internet.

Moreover, Max 24 is significantly more expensive than Premier. Otherwise I'd probably can the Cox Internet and get U-Verse for Internet again. (I can get Internet only since I used to be a U-Verse customer, thus already hooked up to the VRAD, which happens to be next door)

And if we're talking real world speed, I usually get more than the cap speed (about 22Mbps, lately) when I'm downloading in the wee hours of the morning. I think something is broken with their Powerboost stuff.  Grin

Don't get me wrong, I'd rather have FTTH like Verizon has. I'd probably be on a nice 50/5 tier if it were available here.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2010, 09:21:52 pm by nathanm » Logged

"Labor is prior to and independent of capital. Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if labor had not first existed. Labor is the superior of capital, and deserves much the higher consideration" --Abraham Lincoln
Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

I might be moving to Anguilla soon...

« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2010, 10:53:45 pm »

It's not compression, they just don't enforce the cap on the first few seconds of any given connection. That means you can get up to 38Mbps (the total amount of bandwidth available on a single DOCSIS 2.0 carrier) for the first bit of the download if your node is otherwise completely unused.

at&t similarly misrepresents U-Verse speeds, in that if you are watching HD channels, it cuts into your Internet bandwidth unless you have the 10Mbps tier or lower. However, if you manage to get Internet without TV or just never watch HD channels, you won't run into that particular issue. The problem is that the total bandwidth between your house and the VRAD is currently capped at 32Mbps.

Max 18 and Max 24 are also distance limited. Some users are too far from the VRAD and only have 25Mbps between the VRAD and their house. Those folks only get one HD channel at a time and 10 Mbps Internet.

Moreover, Max 24 is significantly more expensive than Premier. Otherwise I'd probably can the Cox Internet and get U-Verse for Internet again. (I can get Internet only since I used to be a U-Verse customer, thus already hooked up to the VRAD, which happens to be next door)

And if we're talking real world speed, I usually get more than the cap speed (about 22Mbps, lately) when I'm downloading in the wee hours of the morning. I think something is broken with their Powerboost stuff.  Grin

Don't get me wrong, I'd rather have FTTH like Verizon has. I'd probably be on a nice 50/5 tier if it were available here.

Patric, please, PLEASE don't turn into Tim H!

Wink

Libertarianism is a system of beliefs for people who think adolescence is the epitome of human achievement.

Global warming isn't real because it was cold today.  Also great news: world famine is over because I just ate - Stephen Colbert.

Somebody find Guido an ambulance to chase...
stageidea
Civic Leader

« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2010, 11:50:44 am »

They created a map with all of the requests they have received.  We might need to get some more submissions in..

http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/news/2010/03/can-larry-and-sergey-gaylord-lure-google-fiber-to-raleigh.ars?utm_source=rss&utm_medium=rss&utm_campaign=rss

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org