A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 10:40:36 am
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 34 MPG in a Ford Super Duty pickup  (Read 12950 times)
Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

I might be moving to Anguilla soon...

« Reply #15 on: March 18, 2010, 12:51:48 pm »

I seem to get stuck behind hyper-milers on the on ramp to the highway. They want to get up to speed a little slower than the rest of us and often create dangerous driving conditions.

I usually don't tag them as hyper-milers.

Usually dumbass drivers.  You'd be surprised how many Tulsa has.

Libertarianism is a system of beliefs for people who think adolescence is the epitome of human achievement.

Global warming isn't real because it was cold today.  Also great news: world famine is over because I just ate - Stephen Colbert.

Somebody find Guido an ambulance to chase...
nathanm
T-Town Elder

« Reply #16 on: March 18, 2010, 04:49:34 pm »

OK, someone trying to get as much out of the high cost of fuel needs to die in a fire?
 Huh

They do when they're making the roads dangerous to everybody else. It's one thing to drive incredibly slow when they're out on a rural highway, but in town people will be weaving around them and they'll be making it harder to merge safely.

"Labor is prior to and independent of capital. Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if labor had not first existed. Labor is the superior of capital, and deserves much the higher consideration" --Abraham Lincoln
Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

« Reply #17 on: March 18, 2010, 06:07:04 pm »

They do when they're making the roads dangerous to everybody else. It's one thing to drive incredibly slow when they're out on a rural highway, but in town people will be weaving around them and they'll be making it harder to merge safely.

See my response above.  Hypermilers are those people who try and do this without creating a road-hazard.  Otherwise, they're essentially dumbasses.

Libertarianism is a system of beliefs for people who think adolescence is the epitome of human achievement.

Global warming isn't real because it was cold today.  Also great news: world famine is over because I just ate - Stephen Colbert.

heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #18 on: March 18, 2010, 07:53:11 pm »

So people weaving in and out of traffic, going much faster than the average around them are the dumbasses??

Interesting definition.  Read 1984 lately...as in doublespeak?

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
nathanm
T-Town Elder

« Reply #19 on: March 18, 2010, 10:22:58 pm »

So people weaving in and out of traffic, going much faster than the average around them are the dumbasses??

No, the larger contingent of the traffic flow wants to drive faster than the hypothetical hypermiler. That requires they change lanes to get around said hypermiler. The safety problem is not with those who are driving with the normal flow of traffic for that road, but with those who choose to depart from that speed, whether up or down.

Most people choose a speed within 5-10 mph that most other drivers do when faced with particular road conditions. There are outliers, but they are just that, outliers.

"Labor is prior to and independent of capital. Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if labor had not first existed. Labor is the superior of capital, and deserves much the higher consideration" --Abraham Lincoln
Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

« Reply #20 on: March 18, 2010, 10:42:49 pm »

In a word?

YES.  Dumbasses.

Next.

Mike 01Hawk
Civic Leader

Peace be with you

« Reply #21 on: March 18, 2010, 10:44:59 pm »

OK, someone trying to get as much out of the high cost of fuel needs to die in a fire?
 Huh

Yes, because they create a hazard to me.

That and they're the biggest smug mofos on the planet.

A) Wanna save a buck? Telecommute, pack your lunch, eat in, don't have that last smoke, don't order that last drink, etc etc etc.  Tons faster ways of saving a a few bucks w/o endangering your life and those around you.

B) Wanna save the environment? Carpool, mass transit, telecommute, switch to a solar heater, buy some solar panels, buy more efficient windows, insulation, smaller house, compost, blah blah blah.
Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

« Reply #22 on: March 18, 2010, 10:46:18 pm »

Yes, because they create a hazard to me.

That and they're the biggest smug mofos on the planet.

A) Wanna save a buck? Telecommute, pack your lunch, eat in, don't have that last smoke, don't have order that last drink, etc etc etc.  Tons faster ways of saving a a few bucks w/o endangering your life and those around you.

B) Wanna save the environment? Carpool, mass transit, telecommute, switch to a solar heater, buy some solar panels, buy more efficient windows, insulation, smaller house, compost, blah blah blah.

Like I said earlier, I don't consider those hypermilers who create hazards hypermilers.  There are those that actually know how and when to do it.

The whole 'die in a fire' mantra is a bit much.

And I can't believe you referenced 'mass transit' on a Tulsa forum.  Maybe SF or PDX, but not here.  Mass transit is a big oxymoron here.

Mike 01Hawk
Civic Leader

Peace be with you

« Reply #23 on: March 18, 2010, 10:48:47 pm »

I just hate Tulsa drivers Smiley

A-hole truckers that tail you
Idiots that don't use turn signals
Idiots that run up on you and wait till the last millisecond to switch lanes to pass you like they're trying to catch that extra draft in NASCAR
Idiots that hang in the pass lane
Idiots who don't know how to merge on/off a highway

Ya know, the usual Smiley

We do NOT need hyper-milers thrown in that mix.
sauerkraut
City Father

I Conquered The 2013 -2015 Polar Bear Plunge!!

« Reply #24 on: March 19, 2010, 09:23:17 am »

As fuel pushs up toward $4.00 a gallon and Obama shuts down domestic oil drilling we can expect alot of high fuel prices- My old 1990 F-150 is very poor on fuel mileaga (302 V-8), as for bumpers I put a steel bumper on the front of my F-150 heap and it is very strong I made it out of thick channel steel.

Proud Global  Warming Deiner! Earth Is Getting Colder NOT Warmer!
Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #25 on: March 19, 2010, 09:36:44 am »

As fuel pushs up toward $4.00 a gallon and Obama shuts down domestic oil drilling we can expect alot of high fuel prices- My old 1990 F-150 is very poor on fuel mileaga (302 V-8), as for bumpers I put a steel bumper on the front of my F-150 heap and it is very strong I made it out of thick channel steel.

So now when you hit something you will damage the whole frame rather than dent a bumper.  Sounds great!

Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

« Reply #26 on: March 19, 2010, 02:49:43 pm »

Maybe 4.00 a gallon in Omaha, won't be here, so don't worry about us.
 Grin

Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #27 on: March 19, 2010, 03:19:46 pm »

It would be a riot to find out Sauerkraut has been George Kaiser playing us all along.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #28 on: March 19, 2010, 03:22:33 pm »

It's Jim Fowler
nathanm
T-Town Elder

« Reply #29 on: March 19, 2010, 03:58:55 pm »

It would be a riot to find out Sauerkraut has been George Kaiser playing us all along.
That would be one of the more epic trolls in Internet history.

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org