A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 01, 2024, 10:30:41 am
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Wild Brew Beer  (Read 12439 times)
DolfanBob
City Father

« Reply #15 on: May 14, 2010, 10:35:52 am »

Townsend. Help me out here. I like beer but just cant seem to get the acquired taste for Guinness. Do you drink it ice cold or room temp like the Brits ?
My buddy that worked at my local liquor store had me try their can that had a little activated nitrogen widget that dropped in the beer when opened and was supposed to make it taste like it was from a draft keg. He loves it and thought I would too.
To me it tastes like a$$. Whats wrong with my taste buds that everyone else gets it but I dont. My friends talk like its a passage of manhood to be a Guinness drinker.
It truly is the one beer I just cant seem to get to like. And at that price, I want to enjoy it.

Changing opinions one mistake at a time.
Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #16 on: May 14, 2010, 10:44:15 am »

A lot of English Ales are good when they are about 50°F, cellar temperature.

Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #17 on: May 14, 2010, 11:05:53 am »

Townsend. Help me out here. I like beer but just cant seem to get the acquired taste for Guinness. Do you drink it ice cold or room temp like the Brits ?
My buddy that worked at my local liquor store had me try their can that had a little activated nitrogen widget that dropped in the beer when opened and was supposed to make it taste like it was from a draft keg. He loves it and thought I would too.
To me it tastes like a$$. Whats wrong with my taste buds that everyone else gets it but I dont. My friends talk like its a passage of manhood to be a Guinness drinker.
It truly is the one beer I just cant seem to get to like. And at that price, I want to enjoy it.

Holy crap, someone asked me a question about which I have some knowledge...

I have a wide range of acceptance when it comes to serving temperature of Guinness.  Only time I'm not a fan is ice cold.  I let it sit for a while.  The can with widget is excellent for a canned beer, the draught bottle is a good way to go too.

Many bars will have a backstock room temp and in that case I like that with a cold glass, it cools it just enough for me.

Fat Guys has it's own Guinness box kept at 40F, delicious.

As far as developing a taste for it, I was a bartender for years and needed to be able to appreciate many types of beverage.  I didn't like Guinness at first but I learned to love it.  The way I learned to enjoy it was a little unorthodox but a friend of mine who drank it all the time told me to:

1. choke down the first one
2. slowly drink the 2nd one and try to taste everything it offered (coffee, sugars, fruit, etc)
3. third one will taste good to you
4. fourth one, you'll love everybody

It worked like a charm for me.  If you can't do a solid guinness at first, split down the middle with Harps, Smithwicks, Bass, a scoop of vanilla (it's good, I promise).  There's many ways to do it.

You'll be challenging people to speed contests with Irish Car Bombs in no time.

If you like bloody maries ask for a shot of guinness in your next one (irish mary).  It really makes a difference in texture and is a win.

edited to add:  I've loved Guinness since that day btw...I don't promise you will but that worked for me.  Now if anyone can teach me how to enjoy Campari, I'd appreciate it.  This may need to be another thread however.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2010, 11:13:18 am by Townsend » Logged
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #18 on: May 14, 2010, 11:07:59 am »

I enjoyed it but it's a little sweet for me.  That's just me though, I'm a Guinness drinker.

I do wish Eric would rename McNellie's Pub Ale so other bars besides those owned by Elliot would carry it.

Other bar owners need to get beyond being pig-headed and see it for being a revenue-building opportunity not cross-marketing for a competitor.  People might avoid the crush of people at McNellie's and go elsewhere to get their pub ale.  I don't think Elliot actually has an exclusive on it.  Eric posted earlier today on another topic, perhaps he will chime in.

Dolfanbob- There are some beers which are an aquired taste.  I'm really amazed you like the Big Jamoke that much if you aren't a Guiness fan as I think it's a lot bolder than Guiness.  I was not an IPA fan before last summer.  Carlton Place was kind enough to bring a couple of bottles of Marshall's IPA as a house-warming gift.  One hot afternoon after mowing I decided to see how one would hit me when I was dying for a strong beer.  That did the trick and I've loved it ever since.  I'd tried the Marshall's IPA before and, at the time, it seemed too hoppy for me.

I've found also that the speed over my palate is different with certain brews.  Some I will let wash over slowly to savor it, others more quickly which is more of a shock to it.  Sort of hard to explain...
« Last Edit: May 14, 2010, 11:10:35 am by Conan71 » Logged

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
Cats Cats Cats
City Father

« Reply #19 on: May 14, 2010, 11:56:49 am »

I really want some of this but just had my tonsils out.. Need to find some to save.

In the mean time.. if you want a REAL bear.  You guys should buy a Tactical Nuclear Penguin.

http://real-ale-reviews.com/tactical-north-bar-penguin-tasting/2009/12
DolfanBob
City Father

« Reply #20 on: May 17, 2010, 07:52:27 am »

I had the Wild Brew and I enjoyed the taste. It is a little on the sweet side, but after you down 22 ounces of 7.5% alcohol per volume. You kind of forget the sweetness.
Good brew. I recommend trying it.

Gaspar
T-Town Elder

Connoisseur of fine bacon.

« Reply #21 on: May 17, 2010, 07:56:56 am »

Holy crap, someone asked me a question about which I have some knowledge...

I have a wide range of acceptance when it comes to serving temperature of Guinness.  Only time I'm not a fan is ice cold.  I let it sit for a while.  The can with widget is excellent for a canned beer, the draught bottle is a good way to go too.

Many bars will have a backstock room temp and in that case I like that with a cold glass, it cools it just enough for me.

Fat Guys has it's own Guinness box kept at 40F, delicious.

As far as developing a taste for it, I was a bartender for years and needed to be able to appreciate many types of beverage.  I didn't like Guinness at first but I learned to love it.  The way I learned to enjoy it was a little unorthodox but a friend of mine who drank it all the time told me to:

1. choke down the first one
2. slowly drink the 2nd one and try to taste everything it offered (coffee, sugars, fruit, etc)
3. third one will taste good to you
4. fourth one, you'll love everybody

It worked like a charm for me.  If you can't do a solid guinness at first, split down the middle with Harps, Smithwicks, Bass, a scoop of vanilla (it's good, I promise).  There's many ways to do it.

You'll be challenging people to speed contests with Irish Car Bombs in no time.

If you like bloody maries ask for a shot of guinness in your next one (irish mary).  It really makes a difference in texture and is a win.

edited to add:  I've loved Guinness since that day btw...I don't promise you will but that worked for me.  Now if anyone can teach me how to enjoy Campari, I'd appreciate it.  This may need to be another thread however.

I LOVE Guinness!  Try it with vanilla ice cream.  Yes. . .the best float in the world!

When attacked by a mob of clowns, always go for the juggler.
Gaspar
T-Town Elder

« Reply #22 on: July 30, 2010, 12:35:26 pm »

If you intend to go to the WildBrew event tomorrow, you must buy tickets by 4:00 today!

Go to Wildbrew.org if you haven't bought yours yet! None can be sold at the door.

DolfanBob
City Father

« Reply #23 on: July 30, 2010, 01:34:14 pm »

If you intend to go to the WildBrew event tomorrow, you must buy tickets by 4:00 today!

Go to Wildbrew.org if you haven't bought yours yet! None can be sold at the door.

Let's see. How much beer does it take to get back your 55 Dollars ?
And should you get a designated driver ?
Kinda pricey to me.

Gaspar
T-Town Elder

« Reply #24 on: July 30, 2010, 01:39:29 pm »

Let's see. How much beer does it take to get back your 55 Dollars ?
And should you get a designated driver ?
Kinda pricey to me.

It's for a good cause. . . Avian Research.
I have a designated driver, and the capacity to drink far more than $55 in beer.  Plus the entertainment and food is great!  I also like to meet and talk with all of the brewers and restaurant owners.

Remember without avian research we wouldn't have the nugget.

custosnox
Fly in the Ointment
City Father

« Reply #25 on: July 30, 2010, 01:46:49 pm »

I heard something about the last keg of marshalls choc being tapped for this event
Gaspar
T-Town Elder

« Reply #26 on: July 30, 2010, 02:12:37 pm »

I heard something about the last keg of marshalls choc being tapped for this event

Shhhhhh!

RecycleMichael
truth teller
T-Town Elder

« Reply #27 on: July 30, 2010, 02:14:19 pm »

This is one of the great parties of the year.

I am going and it is my birthday.

Power is nothing till you use it.
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #28 on: July 30, 2010, 02:21:51 pm »

If I didn't have a 56 mile road race in Duncan tomorrow (appropriately called "The Dehydrator") I'd be there, but instead, I will be re-hydrating in OKC after the race.

Happy birthday RM!

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
Gaspar
T-Town Elder

« Reply #29 on: July 30, 2010, 02:22:44 pm »

This is one of the great parties of the year.

I am going and it is my birthday.

Happy birthday!  I'll buy you a beer.
We always use this event as my birthday party too because it used to be on my birthday, and it's an opportunity to support a cause of great importance see how much beer we can drink.

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org