A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 01, 2024, 11:23:22 am
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Wild Brew Beer  (Read 12440 times)
Gaspar
T-Town Elder

Connoisseur of fine bacon.

« on: March 09, 2010, 12:20:30 pm »

Marshall Brewing Company and Choc Beer Company are pleased to announce Wild Brew, a limited release collaborative beer that will be brewed in recognition of the annual beer festival in Tulsa, Okla. The Wild Brew beer will be available in 22 oz. bottles beginning May 3 throughout Oklahoma and Western Arkansas.

“Immediately following the successful 2009 Wild Brew, members of the Wild Brew planning committee contacted Marshall Brewing Company and Choc Beer Company about the possibility of brewing a collaborative beer for the 2010 event,” said Eric Marshall, brewmaster of the Marshall Brewing Company. “We are excited about the opportunity to work with our good friends at Choc for a cause we both support. The collaboration began in November 2009,” Marshall continued, “and we determined the beer should reflect the style of both breweries.”

With the flip of a coin, Choc Beer Company of Krebs, Okla. was chosen to host the brewing and bottling of this year’s Wild Brew beer. “It is exciting and refreshing to have other brewers and their ideas in our brewery,” said Michael Lalli, Choc Beer Company brewmaster.

Wild Brew beer is a Belgian-style IPA, reflecting the strengths of Choc Beer Company and Marshall Brewing Company. Choc is known for its award-winning Belgian-style Signature ales and Marshall Brewing Company for their flagship Atlas India Pale Ale.

“We are honored that two great Oklahoma breweries collaborated on this project to raise awareness for such a wonderful cause,” Kari Culp, co-chair of the Wild Brew planning committee said.

The 12th Annual Wild Brew will be held on Saturday, July 31st. This year’s event will be held at the Exchange Center at Expo Square in Tulsa.

Tickets are $50 and must be purchased in advance, and attendees must be 21 or older. To purchase tickets or to become a sponsor, please visit www.wildbrew.org or call (918) 633-1308. Sponsorship opportunities are still available.

Wow!  What a great idea.  Pure marketing genius!  Wink
Making room in the garage fridge. . .

When attacked by a mob of clowns, always go for the juggler.
RecycleMichael
truth teller
T-Town Elder

« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2010, 12:24:26 pm »

I am going. It is my birthday...get me a beer.

Power is nothing till you use it.
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2010, 12:27:28 pm »

I'm hoping it's got more the yeast character of Marshall's and not Choc.  Just not a huge fan of Choc, every variety I've tried tastes a little soapy to me with the exception of either their wheat or a white ale (I think) they did last year

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
Gaspar
T-Town Elder

« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2010, 01:39:28 pm »

I'm hoping it's got more the yeast character of Marshall's and not Choc.  Just not a huge fan of Choc, every variety I've tried tastes a little soapy to me with the exception of either their wheat or a white ale (I think) they did last year

I agree, but in the last year their flavor has changed for the better.  The 1919s I've had in the last 3 months have been excellent.  From a homebrewer's perspective it seems like they didn't allow them to age long enough.  I get the same syrupy results when I rush it to the table.

I think Marshall's is superior for my taste, but I am far from turning down a Choc.

cynical
Civic Leader

« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2010, 10:31:37 am »

I attended Elliot Nelson's most recent Beer University.  Elliot explained the sour flavor of some of the Belgian beers, particularly some of the Trappist Ales, as being a feature of the yeast they use.  It will be interesting to see if this beer has that flavor. 

I am an IPA fanatic myself.  The thing I like best about beer is hops. This being an IPA, I expect it to be very hoppy.  How it is balanced by the Belgian yeast will be the question.

I agree, but in the last year their flavor has changed for the better.  The 1919s I've had in the last 3 months have been excellent.  From a homebrewer's perspective it seems like they didn't allow them to age long enough.  I get the same syrupy results when I rush it to the table.

I think Marshall's is superior for my taste, but I am far from turning down a Choc.

Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2010, 11:08:30 am »

They served several trappist style beers at the brewery in Pagosa Springs that might have been some of the most interesting beer experiences I've ever had.  The one that really stood out was the "Alpine Abbey Grand Cru".  They serve it in a brandy snifter and it's got a more complex flavor than many wines I've had.  It was excellent to say the least.  I'd have had more than one but it was 8.2% ABV, and there were too many other flavors to try.  Thankfully, they were within walking distance of where we were staying.

http://www.pagosabrewing.com/brews.htm

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
Gaspar
T-Town Elder

« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2010, 01:36:14 pm »

They served several trappist style beers at the brewery in Pagosa Springs that might have been some of the most interesting beer experiences I've ever had.  The one that really stood out was the "Alpine Abbey Grand Cru".  They serve it in a brandy snifter and it's got a more complex flavor than many wines I've had.  It was excellent to say the least.  I'd have had more than one but it was 8.2% ABV, and there were too many other flavors to try.  Thankfully, they were within walking distance of where we were staying.

http://www.pagosabrewing.com/brews.htm

I've had some pretty "Wild Brews" too. The wild-yeast beers are by far the strangest.  Many of your Belgian beers incorporate lambic style brewing techniques, or techniques that aren't as controlled.  The result is the cider-like aftertaste.  Very similar to the taste produced by yeasts used for Sour-dough breads. 

Because these are conglomeration of yeast strains rather than a single controlled strain, they produce very high alcohol levels (more like a wine).  This is probably much closer to the flavor of beer our ancestors enjoyed.  I for one like it.  When hopped properly it can be crisp with a bit of a "wang" at the end, and one hell of a mule-kick-beer-buzz.

I've had some that have so much hopps that they literally smell like pot. . .I've been told.

Gaspar
T-Town Elder

« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2010, 03:48:12 pm »

Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2010, 04:02:19 pm »

Where the heck is all the pomp and circumstance?

There should be some music playing when you present that picture to us.  I mean serious music...maybe Kirk fighting a Klingon kind of music.
custosnox
Fly in the Ointment
City Father

« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2010, 04:41:47 pm »

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XyhhFzE5O5U[/youtube]
Gaspar
T-Town Elder

« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2010, 06:29:19 am »

The new brew is very good.  Very Belgian.  It is available in very limited quantities NOW wherever fine beers are sold.  Pick some up today and please plan to attend the Wild Brew event Saturday July 31st.

Gaspar
T-Town Elder

« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2010, 11:57:22 am »

Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #12 on: May 04, 2010, 12:27:29 pm »

Damn it! Just in time for another one of my carbohydrate clamp-downs.  I guess I need to start riding an additional 150 miles a week so I can continue to enjoy more Marshalls.

DolfanBob
City Father

« Reply #13 on: May 14, 2010, 09:55:59 am »

Finally found a store in B.A. That got some of it in. They only have 25 ounce bottles though. I am going to try it tonight. So have any of you had it and how do you like it ?
I sure miss my Big Jamoke.

Changing opinions one mistake at a time.
Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #14 on: May 14, 2010, 10:09:02 am »

Finally found a store in B.A. That got some of it in. They only have 25 ounce bottles though. I am going to try it tonight. So have any of you had it and how do you like it ?
I sure miss my Big Jamoke.

I enjoyed it but it's a little sweet for me.  That's just me though, I'm a Guinness drinker.

I do wish Eric would rename McNellie's Pub Ale so other bars besides those owned by Elliot would carry it.
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org