A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 12:07:57 am
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Which City(s) Should Tulsa Emulate?  (Read 12896 times)
patric
T-Town Elder

These Aren't the Droids You're Looking For

« on: February 16, 2010, 11:47:50 am »

Several cities found massive savings by first examining what each city service really costs. Now Tulsa is about to start that same kind of search.
Indianapolis is where the mayor is looking as the example of what change can mean. The city revamped how it evaluates what it does and how much it costs. The city hired accounting firm KPMG. Their recommendations saved the city $550 million over 13 years.

"That savings alone has allowed Indianapolis to embark on a renaissance of growth and development guided by a better operated city government. This is exactly what we want for the City of Tulsa," said Mayor Bartlett.

So is there one ideal city for all city services?
For years, other cities have been coming to Tulsa to see how one of our success models, EMSA, has worked, so were not completely behind the curve.

If you want Tulsa-sized cities as a model to save money on city services, you may have to look at more than one city.

Tucson would be considered the model for saving millions on street lighting, for example, but I dont know where they stand on bus service, trash, water or funding community centers.

"Tulsa will lay off police and firemen before we will cut back on unnecessarily wasteful streetlights."  -- March 18, 2009 TulsaNow Forum
Vision 2025
Philanthropist

« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2010, 02:40:40 pm »

One of the more interesting I have been to in the last few years is Fargo...

Vision 2025 Program Director - know the facts, www.Vision2025.info
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2010, 02:46:55 pm »

Did someone say "Fargo"?

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
Vision 2025
Philanthropist

« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2010, 02:55:37 pm »

Was my impression too before I went...

Vision 2025 Program Director - know the facts, www.Vision2025.info
PepePeru
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2010, 02:56:54 pm »

Did someone say "Fargo"?

She was from up Brainerd, not Fargo.
patric
T-Town Elder

« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2010, 12:54:15 pm »

In all seriousness, can anyone cite examples of cities who's services would be considered a real model we could learn from?
In the EMSA example, Tulsa used to be the worst (think "Mother Jugs and Speed") before we became the model ambulance service.   What city has the most successful public transportation, for instance?
Ive always been told we cant have subways because of the pipelines, but surely there is a map of pipelines somewhere...

There have to be better models we can adopt, rather than throw more money at models that have failed us.

"Tulsa will lay off police and firemen before we will cut back on unnecessarily wasteful streetlights."  -- March 18, 2009 TulsaNow Forum
custosnox
Fly in the Ointment
City Father

« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2010, 01:10:40 pm »

In all seriousness, can anyone cite examples of cities who's services would be considered a real model we could learn from?
In the EMSA example, Tulsa used to be the worst (think "Mother Jugs and Speed") before we became the model ambulance service.   What city has the most successful public transportation, for instance?
Ive always been told we cant have subways because of the pipelines, but surely there is a map of pipelines somewhere...

There have to be better models we can adopt, rather than throw more money at models that have failed us.

Everyone immediately jumps to subway when it comes to light rail, but I think sydney has the idea with above ground mono rail, which could allow rail in places here where underground lines could not go.

http://www.metrotransport.com.au/index.php/monorail/monorail-home.html
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2010, 01:31:51 pm »

In this day and age, subway would be way too expensive, it'll never happen in Tulsa.  We can't even properly fund streets here.  I did a quick Google and you can figure $100mm to $2 + billion per mile (that was an example in NYC).

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
SXSW
City Father

« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2010, 03:07:17 pm »

In the EMSA example, Tulsa used to be the worst (think "Mother Jugs and Speed") before we became the model ambulance service.   What city has the most successful public transportation, for instance?

You have to look at Portland as having one of the most successful public transit systems that combines streetcars connecting inner neighborhoods through downtown, light rail connecting outlying parts of the city and suburbs to downtown, and buses connecting everywhere in between all with high levels of ridership.  In Portland development follows transit and thus is not centered around the car like in Tulsa and most comparable U.S. cities.  

patric
T-Town Elder

« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2010, 03:17:32 pm »

You have to look at Portland as having one of the most successful public transit systems that combines streetcars connecting inner neighborhoods through downtown, light rail connecting outlying parts of the city and suburbs to downtown, and buses connecting everywhere in between all with high levels of ridership.  In Portland development follows transit and thus is not centered around the car like in Tulsa and most comparable U.S. cities. 

...which makes me wonder if there is room in the Comprehensive Plan for the day when people decide that their car is just too expensive to use in the city.
Hey, did you ever think we would see the day when people gave up their "house phone"?

BKDotCom
City Father

« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2010, 03:51:23 pm »

Hey, did you ever think we would see the day when people gave up their "house phone"?

Now they never leave home without it!
Gaspar
T-Town Elder

Connoisseur of fine bacon.

« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2010, 05:00:33 pm »

I love Tulsa. 

We have our share of problems, but they are small compared to most places I've lived.  Our people are friendly and our businesses are strong (relative to the rest of the country).

Our landscape is beautiful, our architecture and development is diverse, we are blessed with resources and a relatively low cost of living.

Fix our streets, sell the city owned eyesores, and lower taxes.  Then we can have other cities attempting to emulate us.  We don't need to emulate anyone. 

When attacked by a mob of clowns, always go for the juggler.
Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2010, 06:08:42 pm »

Now they never leave home without it!

Now, if we could only figure out how to get rid of the cord.   Grin

Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #13 on: February 17, 2010, 06:15:02 pm »

...which makes me wonder if there is room in the Comprehensive Plan for the day when people decide that their car is just too expensive to use in the city.

Public transit convenience over a personal vehicle would be another good reason to give up the car.

For those wanting to know which cities have functioning light rail, visit:  www.lightrailnow.org  Scroll down a bit on the left side in the yellow.  There you will find links to success stories, heritage operations and pretty much anything you would want to know.

heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #14 on: February 17, 2010, 09:14:52 pm »

Gaspar
You already enjoy low taxes.  The big problem is the graft and corruption that sucks up too much of it.

Everything else is right on.  This is a great place to live.  Well, except for the Crashship, maybe...  And it beats OKC handily.  Toronto might be close, except for winter.

Now, let's make it even better.  Oh, yeah, I guess we have to wait for a new mayor, huh?

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org