A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 01:51:02 pm
Pages: 1 ... 38 39 [40] 41 42 43   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Brady District  (Read 290449 times)
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #585 on: August 19, 2018, 11:19:37 am »

There is a sign up at Main & Brady (old gas station) for a special exception to permit low impact manufacturing.  The rumor is that Baird is expanding and will tear down the station but I’m not sure I believe it since Baird is over on Boston.  Apparently Lilly Architects are involved in designing a new building here.  Anyone have the scoop?

What is Baird?

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #586 on: August 19, 2018, 11:38:16 am »

What is Baird?

Maybe this:
https://bairdmfr.com/index.php

dbacksfan 2.0
City Father

« Reply #587 on: August 19, 2018, 12:01:21 pm »

Weren't they located on Charles Page across from the old Knotty Pine?

https://goo.gl/maps/iFCHfYfJFAH2

My mistake, that was Wheatley Brothers.

https://goo.gl/maps/d9C4tFsiqfx

« Last Edit: August 19, 2018, 03:42:54 pm by dbacksfan 2.0 » Logged
SXSW
City Father

« Reply #588 on: August 19, 2018, 03:41:46 pm »

Weren't they located on Charles Page across from the old Knotty Pine?

https://goo.gl/maps/iFCHfYfJFAH2

Maybe.  I know they have a facility at Boston & Cameron across the street from Guthrie Green.  I don't know if they are involved or not, just that is what someone told me when I asked about the special exemption sign currently up. 

dbacksfan 2.0
City Father

« Reply #589 on: August 19, 2018, 03:47:48 pm »

Maybe.  I know they have a facility at Boston & Cameron across the street from Guthrie Green.  I don't know if they are involved or not, just that is what someone told me when I asked about the special exemption sign currently up. 

I corrected myself. There were so many pump and valve manufacturing companies back in the 60's and 70's, and Charles Page all the way to HWY 97 was filled with them and the associated steel and oil field equipment companies, and the residential areas are where they all lived.
DowntownDan
City Father

« Reply #590 on: August 22, 2018, 03:56:59 pm »

It's not a rumor.  They want to tear out the old gas station and expand the current operation. 

https://l.facebook.com/l.php?u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.cityoftulsa-boa.org%2Fboacases%2FBOA-22500.pdf&h=AT3UDE-VMfxTn0mmdLO8y9JzZBJu5Px2ZZgM4RbIcAl22Pmjx449NHMwJsfrCv_jrSm5oRNOxCWI0b9GKkfvSI1d1RjlZY8qk7rX-vpm5a1fveH1ilFZHOA94Me0GTRn
SXSW
City Father

« Reply #591 on: August 22, 2018, 06:06:34 pm »

Interesting thanks.  I didn’t realize Baird had an existing facility right there.  I’m all for light manufacturing to continue and expand in Brady but hate to see that old gas station torn down. 

TheArtist
T-Town Elder

« Reply #592 on: August 23, 2018, 07:48:30 am »

I of course don't like that we will be losing a piece of history there. Especially since it is the last intact block of historic main street in the city.

But another thing that bothers me is in the Board of Adjustment link above they state "Completely closed off from sight...".  Does that mean the frontage will not have any windows and it will be a blank wall?

That would be hurtful to the area.  I do not mind mixed use areas with light manufacturing of this sort. That can work in a pedestrian friendly area. Not good for one you want to be pedestrian lively however.  You can do light manufacturing and it still be pedestrian friendly.

Now for my lecture.

Even a small building like this one from that era is important.  The early years of Tulsa, during the first Oil Boom days were kind of like our "age of myth", our Golden Age. You go to England and they have their Kings and Queens and the history around that, the different historical sights, tourist attractions, an intact section of medieval streets (the Shambles) here, a castle there, etc.  They give so much identity to those places.  Here the Oil Barons were our Kings who built castles (Skyscrapers and mansions) and grand churches.  We hear the stories of bootleggers and wildcatters, the incredible things that were done during this time, etc. So many great stories that are told over and over, that are so important to us and our own "Golden age of stories and myths" history. Perhaps there are still stories that are yet to be told!

Right now I am actually doing some research to see if I can find the places where Clark Gable worked when he lived here in Tulsa. (Its for a little something I am doing for Decopolis as I have an item Clark Gable owned, some Egyptian Earrings that were Elizabeth Taylors "Cleopatra", a signature on a check by Mae West that has a neat story with it, etc. and all have a Tulsa connection.) But anyway, once I started looking to see if I could find the location and pictures, it really sunk home about how much we have lost.  Clark had worked for a time at a "Tin Lizzie" repair shop, and then next door to that at a mens store/haberdashery called Curtis Brown Co in 1921.  So even a small gas station or shop could have an interesting historic tie in, or can be important to help tell the story about an amazing, and yes sometimes terrible, time in our history. To start ripping into the last surviving block of historic main street seems to be a shame.

"When you only have two pennies left in the world, buy a loaf of bread with one, and a lily with the other."-Chinese proverb. "Arts a staple. Like bread or wine or a warm coat in winter. Those who think it is a luxury have only a fragment of a mind. Mans spirit grows hungry for art in the same way h
rebound
City Father

« Reply #593 on: August 23, 2018, 09:10:54 am »

To me, this goes contrary to what the city is trying to do with the district.   Particularly on that corner.   The old gas station itself is very cool, and original, and should be preserved if at all possible.  (once its gone, its gone...)  But even more generally, why on earth would the city think this is a good idea to put mfg (even light mfg) on on of the most popular and used corners in the Brady?  It makes no sense. 

AdamsHall
Civic Leader

« Reply #594 on: August 23, 2018, 09:31:36 am »

I would hate to see that building/corner not be used for a bar and/or restaurant.  Some of my favorite outdoor seating establishments have been built in places just like that one.
hello
Civic Leader

« Reply #595 on: August 23, 2018, 10:37:13 am »

I would hate to see that building/corner not be used for a bar and/or restaurant.  Some of my favorite outdoor seating establishments have been built in places just like that one.

Nothings Left is opening in a former gas station or body shop, correct? And OKC has the Pump bar.

Silly to let that corner go to waste.

AdamsHall
Civic Leader

« Reply #596 on: August 23, 2018, 10:42:04 am »

Nothings Left is opening in a former gas station or body shop, correct? And OKC has the Pump bar.

Silly to let that corner go to waste.

Original Albert G's is in a former gas station too.  That place could have an amazing patio.
hello
Civic Leader

« Reply #597 on: August 23, 2018, 10:52:33 am »

Original Albert G's is in a former gas station too.  That place could have an amazing patio.

Can you imagine that patio during the First Friday art crawl? It would be hoppin! And for Tulsa Tough...

I mean, even the most mediocre place in Tulsa will get business if they have a good patio.  

SXSW
City Father

« Reply #598 on: August 23, 2018, 11:06:12 am »

Can you imagine that patio during the First Friday art crawl? It would be hoppin! And for Tulsa Tough...

I mean, even the most mediocre place in Tulsa will get business if they have a good patio.  

I've walked by there many times and envisioned something like The Mont in Norman.  Same for the Blue Dome.  Add some planter walls and landscaping and these could be really cool spots for a bar/restaurant. 

DTowner
City Father

« Reply #599 on: August 23, 2018, 02:15:07 pm »

This has to be the most expensive real estate in town for light manufacturing.  I assume it already owns the property, but how does it make economic sense to expand manufacturing in this area?
Pages: 1 ... 38 39 [40] 41 42 43   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org