A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 12:39:08 am
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Drillers' Stadium Survey results are out... now whut?  (Read 3419 times)
USRufnex
« on: December 13, 2009, 02:37:30 pm »

http://www.tulsacounty.org/Tulsacounty/dynamic.aspx?id=3608

Breadburner
City Father

« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2009, 06:27:35 pm »

Just dont tear the mother tucker down.......

USRufnex
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2010, 10:02:34 pm »

Wellman: NASL will be sanctioned
http://www.indyweekblogs.com/sports/2010/01/08/wellman-nasl-will-be-sanctioned-new-franchise-to-be-announced-soon-discusses-fifa-calendar-prorel/

Among the highlights:

* Wellman said at least 11 teams will play in NASL in 2011, including a franchise to be announced within a couple of weeks.
    * He said there are representatives of four prospective franchises also present in Fort Lauderdale.
    * He acknowledged being the last holdout from the provisional agreement that was announced yesterday.
    * NASL is filling league office positions, interviewing candidates in Fort Lauderdale this week.

Can you give us an idea what kinds of issues are in those proposed revisions to standards?

No, because that work has not begun yet. But I would expect to see stadium standards. For example, one of the major problems we had in the past with USL was stadiums: playing high school football stadiums on not-properly sized soccer fields with football lines. That’s not proper. We need to make that a standard: You’ve got to be on a soccer field in a soccer stadium. That’s one example. And then ‘How big is the stadium,’ and ‘How many does it seat.’ And maybe things like the owners’ net worth, equity, etc.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

One reason I've been so passionate about keeping the old ballpark available for pro soccer, is that it would be about the only Tulsa outdoor venue that's close to the right size and scope for a league that is one level below Major League Soccer.  Three to five years from now, who knows?  If a Tulsa team fails, the county can still bulldoze it for a sporting goods store, parking lot, etc.... However, if it succeeds then you may have a situation in 5 or 10 or 15 years time in which a new Tulsa Landing or next phase Jenks Riverwalk project could come along and show interest in building a new venue.

If somebody from Rossetti Architects asked me what modifications would be needed for the old ballpark, I'd be tempted to advise they try designing a concert stage with a few rows of modular/retractable east side stands and leave it at that.  No big or costly renovations would be necessary....
« Last Edit: January 09, 2010, 11:10:53 pm by USRufnex » Logged
USRufnex
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2010, 05:19:43 pm »

Lord knows if a WNBA team, funded by OKCers and aided by Kathy Taylor, can bring Nolan Richardson back to Tulsa, surely someone can bring back the Roughnecks!.... Tulsa County?... Karen Keith?.... Winnercomm?... make it so...

http://nasl.com/

« Last Edit: January 16, 2010, 05:42:19 pm by USRufnex » Logged
sgrizzle
Kung Fu Treachery
T-Town Elder

Inconceivable!

« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2010, 07:08:01 am »

Lord knows if a WNBA team, funded by OKCers and aided by Kathy Taylor, can bring Nolan Richardson back to Tulsa, surely someone can bring back the Roughnecks!.... Tulsa County?... Karen Keith?.... Winnercomm?... make it so...

http://nasl.com/

Winnercomm was bought by the Outdoor Channel, who laid people off and moved management out of state.
USRufnex
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2010, 09:22:57 am »

Yeah.  Somehow, I thought Wilburn still had control of Skycam...

I'll make my point that it was local production work for the old Roughnecks in the late 70s/early 80s that laid the groundwork for the original Winnercomm in the first place....

The old Roughnecks' team colors also happen to closely match those of QuikTrip.... just sayin'   Grin

NASL Tulsa Roughnecks 1978 Road Jersey

http://www.airhogsbaseball.com/
« Last Edit: January 15, 2010, 11:05:57 am by USRufnex » Logged
sgrizzle
Kung Fu Treachery
T-Town Elder

Inconceivable!

« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2010, 09:53:57 am »

Yeah.  Somehow, I thought Wilburn still had control of Skycam...

I believe they shipped him up to Outdoor Channel HQ.
FOTD
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2010, 11:36:15 am »

That's correct....not certain if ESPN owns a chunk of Outdoor Channel....

Ruf, will it be the Trippers or the Rufnecks?
USRufnex
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2010, 05:47:52 pm »

"Tulsa Tweekers" has a certain ring to it.....   Grin
« Last Edit: January 18, 2010, 08:27:02 am by USRufnex » Logged
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org