A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 02:10:35 pm
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Just what does a County Commissioner do anyway  (Read 7604 times)
Tony C
« on: December 06, 2009, 12:18:13 am »

After all the hoopla raised by Karen Keith in the past few months, I am curious if anyone knows what the County Commissioners do for Tulsa County taxpayers? The fairgrounds have been taken over by the City. The Drillers are gone. I personally think we're not getting much bang for our bucks.
swake
T-Town Elder

« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2009, 09:40:04 am »

After all the hoopla raised by Karen Keith in the past few months, I am curious if anyone knows what the County Commissioners do for Tulsa County taxpayers? The fairgrounds have been taken over by the City. The Drillers are gone. I personally think we're not getting much bang for our bucks.

For the umpteenth time, the city did not "take over" the fairgrounds, the county still owns and runs it.
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2009, 12:02:56 pm »

The county maintains the road and infrastructure in un-incorporated parts of the county or 'tween areas which do not belong to municipalities, they provide law enforcement for those areas, they are the collection and disbursement point for Vision 2025 funds and projects, they provide the manpower to run the D.L. Moss Correctional Center and security for the Courthouse, LaFortune Park is a county park, can't remember what other parks fall into their pervue, I think Turkey Mountain might.

And, Swake is correct, the city only collects sales tax at the Fairgrounds.  The commissioners also make up the fair board.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
RecycleMichael
truth teller
T-Town Elder

« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2009, 12:52:02 pm »

Today's Board of County Commissioners meeting agenda included:

Bid openings for highway projects and hygiene supplies...bid awards for emergency sirens...purchasing of tires and software packages...change orders on vision 2025 projects...quotes on fuel...sale of properties...requests for bids for body armor and plumbing supplies...travel requests...personnel actions...and claims.

Power is nothing till you use it.
Liz Wright
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2009, 10:44:07 pm »

I have over 3000 books in my office and from time to time one seems to fall open to just the right page. In Oklahoma Politics, 1992, by the Oklahoma Political Science Association, The Oklahoma County Commissioner Scandal: Review, Reform, and County Lobby, H. Holloway & F. Meyers page 19:

The greatest deficiency in the administration of county government in Oklahoma is the segmentation of authority which results from the unchecked autonomy of the commissioner. Though required by state law to functin as a three member board, county commissioners have historically operated individually, with only the most superficial compliance with statutes requiring collective action. As a consequence, accountability is virtually totally absent in our counties' governement. (From the Task Force, 1981, to investigate the County Commissioner Scandal)

Good article overall and very informative.
Vision 2025
Philanthropist

« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2009, 09:36:17 am »

I have over 3000 books in my office and from time to time one seems to fall open to just the right page. In Oklahoma Politics, 1992, by the Oklahoma Political Science Association, The Oklahoma County Commissioner Scandal: Review, Reform, and County Lobby, H. Holloway & F. Meyers page 19:

The greatest deficiency in the administration of county government in Oklahoma is the segmentation of authority which results from the unchecked autonomy of the commissioner. Though required by state law to functin as a three member board, county commissioners have historically operated individually, with only the most superficial compliance with statutes requiring collective action. As a consequence, accountability is virtually totally absent in our counties' governement. (From the Task Force, 1981, to investigate the County Commissioner Scandal)

Good article overall and very informative.

At the time very valid point except for the fact that Tulsa County was not implicated in any way in the '81 scandal.  The WHY is simple and effective? Tulsa County utilizes a Budget Board, made up of all the County elected officials to set and oversee all general government accounts which are managed by a professional Fiscal Officer and very importantly the budget Board provides a single source for purchasing activities with a central Purchasing Director.  Having worked in many Counties and municipalities in Oklahoma in my carrier, in my opinion Tulsa County is a model for how to do many tasks properly and efficiently...

Vision 2025 Program Director - know the facts, www.Vision2025.info
Tony C
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2009, 11:34:10 pm »

At the time very valid point except for the fact that Tulsa County was not implicated in any way in the '81 scandal.  The WHY is simple and effective? Tulsa County utilizes a Budget Board, made up of all the County elected officials to set and oversee all general government accounts which are managed by a professional Fiscal Officer and very importantly the budget Board provides a single source for purchasing activities with a central Purchasing Director.  Having worked in many Counties and municipalities in Oklahoma in my carrier, in my opinion Tulsa County is a model for how to do many tasks properly and efficiently...

Not to change the subject but since you so proudly use the 2025 name I have a question for you. What happened to the Route 66 portion of that deal?I own a business on 11th Street and we had numerous meetings about all the dressing up that was going to take place if only we would back the vote for 2025. Yahoo, a monument to Meadow Gold and a couple more signs at the bridge. Thanks alot Dude.
Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

I might be moving to Anguilla soon...

« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2009, 12:54:09 am »

Not to change the subject but since you so proudly use the 2025 name I have a question for you. What happened to the Route 66 portion of that deal?I own a business on 11th Street and we had numerous meetings about all the dressing up that was going to take place if only we would back the vote for 2025. Yahoo, a monument to Meadow Gold and a couple more signs at the bridge. Thanks alot Dude.

Dude, have you even bothered reading or visiting this web site...wow

http://www.vision2025.info/page.php?page=route66masterplan

Hell, I'll even help you.

The October projects report (which is available to those who wish to read it) says the following:

39 Route 66:  The next funding agreement has been issued to the City ($2.5 million) with
comments returned and is in the approval process.
Historic Markers: This project was completed in September 2006.
Cyrus Avery Memorial Bridge:  Renovations were completed in January 2008.
Cyrus Avery Centennial Plaza:  This project is complete (plaza completed in July
2008) except for the “East Meets West” bronze statue.  The development of the statue by
the Artist is delayed and is now expected to be complete in 2010.   
Meadow Gold Sign:  This project was completed in May 2009.
Frisco Train Site:  The Vision 2025 portion of this project was completed in July 2009.
11th and Yale Intersection:  Streetscaping design is in progress.  Due to conflicts with
underground utilities and an existing storm sewer at the northwest corner, the
Centennial Clock will not be installed until the Route 66 intersection improvements
are installed.  Consultant contract for design of the intersection improvements is
being processed.
Redfork Streetscaping:  Contract for design is being processed.
Interpretive Center:  The preliminary design contract negotiations are underway.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2009, 12:56:34 am by Hoss » Logged

Libertarianism is a system of beliefs for people who think adolescence is the epitome of human achievement.

Global warming isn't real because it was cold today.  Also great news: world famine is over because I just ate - Stephen Colbert.

Somebody find Guido an ambulance to chase...
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2009, 10:13:02 am »

Sounds like Route 66 is getting and has gotten what was promised.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
Tony C
« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2009, 12:17:59 am »

Don't get your panties in a wad, I'll save my complaining until 2026. And no I won't be going to the web to find out whats' done. I'll just look out the front door of my business.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2009, 12:49:26 am by Tony C » Logged
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2009, 09:22:49 am »

Don't get your panties in a wad, I'll save my complaining until 2026. And no I won't be going to the web to find out whats' done. I'll just look out the front door of my business.

Please let us know what your business is and I'm sure most of us will support it, we are a pretty loyal group on here.

Nothing would please me more than to see Rte. 66 spruced up between downtown and Catoosa, but it's going to take far more private investment along the sides of the street than anyone is interested in right now.  It would appear that they've kept the promises made along Rte. 66 in V-2025 and I'd encourage you to follow the progress rather than keeping up with mental notes from meetings that happened 6 or 7 years ago.  There may also be opportunities in the streets package we passed last year for improvements along 11th St.

Tony C
« Reply #11 on: December 11, 2009, 11:58:12 pm »

Please let us know what your business is and I'm sure most of us will support it, we are a pretty loyal group on here.

Nothing would please me more than to see Rte. 66 spruced up between downtown and Catoosa, but it's going to take far more private investment along the sides of the street than anyone is interested in right now.  It would appear that they've kept the promises made along Rte. 66 in V-2025 and I'd encourage you to follow the progress rather than keeping up with mental notes from meetings that happened 6 or 7 years ago.  There may also be opportunities in the streets package we passed last year for improvements along 11th St.
My point is this. Yes parts of 11th St. or Rte. 66 projects are done but the parts that directly affect my part of 11th St. have not, and time is money. The budget for my part of 11th St. is now being eaten by inflation. So the dollars spent previously had more bang for the buck. Thus as you say, it will take more private investment at my end. I am not quite iliterate  or senile but you may call me selfish.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2009, 11:59:50 pm by Tony C » Logged
Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

I might be moving to Anguilla soon...

« Reply #12 on: December 12, 2009, 05:48:31 am »

My point is this. Yes parts of 11th St. or Rte. 66 projects are done but the parts that directly affect my part of 11th St. have not, and time is money. The budget for my part of 11th St. is now being eaten by inflation. So the dollars spent previously had more bang for the buck. Thus as you say, it will take more private investment at my end. I am not quite iliterate  or senile but you may call me selfish.

You still didn't answer the question.  You sound like my grandfather; only happy unless he has something to b!tch publicly about.   Huh

Libertarianism is a system of beliefs for people who think adolescence is the epitome of human achievement.

Global warming isn't real because it was cold today.  Also great news: world famine is over because I just ate - Stephen Colbert.

Somebody find Guido an ambulance to chase...
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org