A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 18, 2024, 08:24:00 pm
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 11   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: North Tulsa to Get Grocery Store  (Read 69288 times)
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #30 on: February 08, 2010, 09:24:26 pm »

What are you talking about? Those apartments are... well they are a place you don't want to be, to put it lightly.

No, don't transit 61st & Peoria after dark.  You are grossly incorrect though as characterizing the area from 41st to 61st as dangerous, it's simply not true, especially north of I-44 to 41st. 

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
rwarn17588
« Reply #31 on: February 08, 2010, 09:34:37 pm »

Peoria from 61st to 41st is the straight up hood.

If you are reading this from outside Tulsa, and planning a trip here, AVOID PEORIA FROM 61st to 41st AT ALL COST.

We don't want you to get shot while you are visiting.  Smiley
--
As for this grocery store... armed security guards? An airport-like metal detector? Snipers on the roof? Charles Bronson hiding out in the back room?

This won't be the last time it happens.
--

What a load of crap.

I bet you hide under the bed when the UPS guy delivers a package to your front door.

I lived near East St. Louis for eight years and drove through it regularly without anything happening. Trust me, Peoria Avenue from 41st to 61st doesn't remotely resemble that town -- nor does anyplace else in Tulsa.
Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

I might be moving to Anguilla soon...

« Reply #32 on: February 09, 2010, 06:58:26 am »

No, don't transit 61st & Peoria after dark.  You are grossly incorrect though as characterizing the area from 41st to 61st as dangerous, it's simply not true, especially north of I-44 to 41st. 

Agreed.  My cousin whom I also work with and used to hang out with a lot lives at 41st and Trenton.  It really starts getting dicey at about 55th St.  I have a former coworker who lives on 55th Street east of Peoria.  While I've seen better neighborhoods, he hasn't had any problems in the 8 or so years he's lived there.

Libertarianism is a system of beliefs for people who think adolescence is the epitome of human achievement.

Global warming isn't real because it was cold today.  Also great news: world famine is over because I just ate - Stephen Colbert.

Somebody find Guido an ambulance to chase...
godboko71
Philanthropist

« Reply #33 on: February 09, 2010, 12:49:23 pm »

Could a moderator split the Robbery & Peoria related topics into there own threads?

Thank you,
Robert Town
Gaspar
T-Town Elder

Connoisseur of fine bacon.

« Reply #34 on: February 09, 2010, 01:43:13 pm »

Peoria from 61st to 41st is the straight up hood.

If you are reading this from outside Tulsa, and planning a trip here, AVOID PEORIA FROM 61st to 41st AT ALL COST.

We don't want you to get shot while you are visiting.  Smiley

--

As for this grocery store... armed security guards? An airport-like metal detector? Snipers on the roof? Charles Bronson hiding out in the back room?

This won't be the last time it happens.

--

It seeps out of that area too.  Apparently the residents take “field trips” when their aren’t enough nice things to steal from each other.

My wife's car was stolen from our drive way last year in August.  It was just recovered last week.  They found it, and caught the suspect at an apartment complex between 41st and 51st off of Peoria.  Not sure which one, that was all the info the woman at TPD would give us since the car belongs to the insurance company now. 

I was impressed that they had been driving it without changing the plates or anything for 5 months.

When attacked by a mob of clowns, always go for the juggler.
USRufnex
« Reply #35 on: February 09, 2010, 01:54:54 pm »

The Walgreens at 15th and Lewis just got robbed, so I guess they should close down too.... boy, who knew that thieves could own cars.....

Let's all move to Broken Arrow.

/snark
Gaspar
T-Town Elder

Connoisseur of fine bacon.

« Reply #36 on: February 09, 2010, 02:15:44 pm »

Wow!  I had no idea.  This is just the crime map for the last two months between Admeral and 36th N. 

Perhaps Ruf is right, we should move to Broken Arrow.

When attacked by a mob of clowns, always go for the juggler.
Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #37 on: February 09, 2010, 03:26:57 pm »

The Walgreens at 15th and Lewis just got robbed, so I guess they should close down too.... boy, who knew that thieves could own cars.....

Let's all move to Broken Arrow.

/snark

Probably stole the car too....

BA doesn't want a bunch of people that attract criminals.   Grin
« Last Edit: February 09, 2010, 03:29:27 pm by Red Arrow » Logged

SXSW
City Father

« Reply #38 on: February 09, 2010, 03:57:11 pm »

BA's property crime is slowly increasing.  You really can't escape it anywhere in the metro whether you are in far south Tulsa or near 36th and N. Peoria.  That being said when I lived in Tulsa for 15 years I never once experienced a burglary or any other type of crime.  When I lived in Denver I was only there three weeks and both my apartment and car were burglarized and later there was a homicide just a few blocks away.  So all in all I feel pretty safe in Tulsa...

But yeah the inner north side is still notorious for not only high rates of property crime but also violent crime including a good majority of the 70 homicides committed in Tulsa in 2009.  Revitalization of the "border" neighborhoods like Brady Heights, Pearl, and Kendall-Whittier will go a long way to improving the neighborhoods further to the north like University Park, Crutchfield, and Sequoyah.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2010, 04:02:27 pm by SXSW » Logged

patric
T-Town Elder

These Aren't the Droids You're Looking For

« Reply #39 on: March 16, 2010, 10:34:17 pm »

Sadly, there is already talk of them possibly closing.
I dont have any details.

"Tulsa will lay off police and firemen before we will cut back on unnecessarily wasteful streetlights."  -- March 18, 2009 TulsaNow Forum
godboko71
Philanthropist

« Reply #40 on: March 16, 2010, 11:23:50 pm »

Sadly, there is already talk of them possibly closing.
I dont have any details.

That is sad, I kind of like Gateway, that said I can get the meat I have been getting there at any of the other Las American's Grocery Stores.

I would be interested in knowing why they are closing. They are at least as busy as any given Warehouse Market, the Pharmacy department has signs up and looks like it is about to open. Seems odd that they would close when they just put signs up for the Pharmacy on the out side of the building.

Thank you,
Robert Town
sgrizzle
Kung Fu Treachery
T-Town Elder

Inconceivable!

« Reply #41 on: March 17, 2010, 05:30:23 am »

They say despite changes, business is week and progressively dropping. They will reevaluate and decide in 4-6 months whether they will close or not.

For that size of store, and the added costs on things like security, they can't make it by being "kinda busy" they need to be very busy all day long.
Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #42 on: March 17, 2010, 07:31:38 am »

Just WIC approved which may help them.

This could be  an example of what happens when a government finances a business just to have business in a given area whether the market will support it or not.

I hope it lasts.
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #43 on: March 17, 2010, 08:16:21 am »

I can't believe they would have been that poorly capitalized going in if they are already talking about closing.  Has this been in the media or is this rumor?

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
swake
T-Town Elder

« Reply #44 on: March 17, 2010, 08:20:20 am »

I can't believe they would have been that poorly capitalized going in if they are already talking about closing.  Has this been in the media or is this rumor?

http://www.tulsaworld.com/news/article.aspx?subjectid=11&articleid=20100317_11_A9_Gatewa320612
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 11   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org