A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 20, 2024, 02:09:33 am
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 9   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: TMAPC Commissioner, Elizabeth Wright: Public Hearing  (Read 94869 times)
waterboy
« Reply #75 on: November 26, 2009, 08:45:11 pm »

I am amazed at the hypocrisy so many people display when it comes to private property rights. They will fight vigorously that a property owner should be able to do with his land what he pleases, yet are incensed when commercial property owners do that very thing!

It is obvious to anyone outside of the battle to see that commercial property at a busy corner, surrounded with good housing and a supportive local leadership, has a good chance of becoming a Target, WalMart, etc. Even if their original plans were to make it a Utica Square. When those original plans fail, they have every right to find another compatible use for that land.

It is also fair to say that both parties are joined at the hip. If the neighborhood values diminish, so do the commercial values/rents. If you severely restrain developers and tip the balance of power towards the homeowners, then less development or less quality development can be expected to occur.

I don't see much respect by either group towards each other. I feel bad for anyone who has to regulate (referee) these parties.
inteller
« Reply #76 on: November 26, 2009, 09:57:47 pm »

another compatible use for that land.

you are right they do, but the problem is they aren't.  Apparently "compatible" to certain unscrupulous developers equals "whatever will make me a short term gain"  ...surrounding incumbants be damned.

...and this commission plays right along.
inteller
« Reply #77 on: November 26, 2009, 09:59:26 pm »

In response to Inteller.. It is the start of the Holiday Season and I was being nice.

i wouldn't extend your courtesy because of the holiday season, there is no rest for the wicked.
Liz Wright
« Reply #78 on: November 26, 2009, 10:38:12 pm »

Good evening - Hope everyone had a pleasant Thanksgiving Day.

Regarding the QT deal - My associational relationship to QT is akin to if I belonged to the YWCA and they wanted to expand; or the Target mess - would I have to recuse myself because I shop at Target?

Just because someone says there is a conflict over and over and over again doesn't mean there is one. Frankly it is smoke and mirrors, red herrings, etc. If there truly were concerns over conflicts then everyone on the TMAPC who have associational relationships to the real estate and development communities would need heavy scrutiny. That is what should be looked at but won't be.

No where has this been so blantently exhibited as when conservation districts were quickly discussed and dismissed. We were suppose to hold hearings - anyone remember that? Well - Josh Walker was very nervous because he'd gotten calls from his RE buddies. At the last meeting, during our worksession Phil Marshall was very adament that there would be no conservation districts in the PlaniTulsa comp plan because we cannot hinder developers.

Keith has decided that everyone who comes before the TMAPC has the right to be treated with respect. Well I  happen to agree with that statement. The funny thing - I've seen citizen after citizen disregarded. Whole neighborhoods watched as "magic" was performed. Every concern - every legitimate concern that would be brought before the commission was summarily dismissed. Don't believe me - I can give you multiple examples.

Read Micheal Bates posts concerning Joe Westervelt for a display of respect towards citizens.

We

Tony C
« Reply #79 on: November 26, 2009, 10:41:38 pm »

What offends me the most about the targeting of Ms Wright is the blatent disrespect of a citizen volunteer by an overpaid elected official such as, let's say, for example, Karen Keith. Ms Wright is more qualified to be commissioner than Ms Keith yet she was working for free for us taxpayers. For a self employed person to give up the amount of time it takes to sit on the TMAPC is beyond generous. Ms Wright wasn't even reimbersed for her vehicle expense.Yet Ms Keith receives per diem. Ms Keith can say whatever she wants about Ms Wrights' integrity, yet she doesn't have to produce any evidence? Talk about being a disruption to the workings of the commitee. Why subject yourself to this treatment at your own expense? Any future appointee would have to be either insane or have a hidden agenda to accept this appointment. Don't expect a thank you, after all these people are just volunteer slave labor.

Liz Wright
« Reply #80 on: November 26, 2009, 10:50:40 pm »

Sorry - glitch in computer.

The hearing.

The hearing opened with Keith removing the third allegation. Terry Simonson spoke for a few moments and stated it was for fact finding. Operative word - facts. Bill Leighty, a TMAPC commissioner, a Real Estate agent, and apparently a Bartlett go to guy for development, read a three page statement that well ... had no pertinent facts. His original three minutes were extended to seven minutes because Keith wanted to hear his statement. In fact he was so popular he got to speak several times. What I find quite humorous is that Leighty is new to the TMAPC and was not around during the QT deal. But .. golly he reported quotes, and comments from this forum as facts and proof. I have that statement and will post it.

He is the fellow that caused the stink at one of the work sessions regarding Holland Lakes. My speaking to their Homeowners Meeting on how to present to the City Council (all stuff you can read in the pamphlet) was "counseling" - Don't get that - I view it as public information and helping citizens. In fact under Chip Ard we had discussed visiting HOA's and NA's to improve our image. We came up with some good ideas - leaving comment slips on the chairs so folks could give us feed back etc. Developing some dog and pony shows etc. All good PR stuff. Well - Leighty who wasn't around during any of those conversations has joined a developer - Joe Westervelt in that assault. Conflict of interest?

Liz Wright
« Reply #81 on: November 26, 2009, 10:56:49 pm »

Mr. Perry apparently believes this should not be done. Which means that the TMAPC is closed to citizen questions. TMAPC commissioners can't talk to citizens. Or at least the county appointed ones can't.

Oh and Mr. Smaligo said we can't talk about the make up of the TMAPC. Even though the representation issue is what Keith claims this is about - We can't talk about Dix and Carnes. Pot calling the kettle black?

So while the county spends money on having staffers go through former minutes to find out what I asked questions about so that the charge of "causing meetings not to run efficiently" can be meted out - I wonder if they are looking at all 9 of the commissioners to find out if there is an average number of questions - type of questions etc.

Liz Wright
« Reply #82 on: November 26, 2009, 11:03:34 pm »

I am looking to everyone who reads this board to think long and hard about what is going on.

I am basically a very boring gal - obviously not photogenic in the least - science nerd type who asks questions. I ask why a lot - In fact us science types know that if a system cannot withstand scrutiny it might fail at the wrong time and cause a life or two. Over questioning makes a design better. If the why can't be answered then get back to the drawing board.

So obviously I ask the questions that made somebody irritated, very irritated. I apparently could throw a wrench into the monkey works so to speak. But how, when and where.

In January the PlaniTulsa public hearings begin. 
Liz Wright
« Reply #83 on: November 26, 2009, 11:08:37 pm »

That is what needs to be examined. What is so important in the next few months that it is necessary to boot me off the TMAPC?

Where is the Land Use Task Force?

And does anyone really think that Bartlett will continue on with PlaniTulsa?

I really feel for the Pearl District Plans - here was a community driven effort from the ground up that will probably not get the support from the city it needs to go further.

Liz Wright
« Reply #84 on: November 26, 2009, 11:25:40 pm »

As I understand it - Public hearings will be held January - March. Then the recommended comp plan will go before the City Council. PlaniTulsa is the vision; the zoning ordinance is what would allow it to happen. So even if we have the best comp plan unless the TMAPC passes ordinance which allow it to happen, it is all for naught.
Let's think about this - Mayor Taylor, with Kaisers help, gets the revision of the comp plan going. So its a good PR move for the city - but - instead of appointed a TMAPC commissioner with any gut feel for planning and all that it entails (and there is so much) - she appoints Leighty - and she puts him on the Land Use Task Force as well. Instead of hanging around to see that PlaniTulsa gets implemented, or to sever the TMAPC ties with the city and using our stellar city planning team, she bails. All along Bartlett has been hanging around City Hall - a chap who views PlaniTulsa as big brother.
I am obviously being word restricted  -
Liz Wright
« Reply #85 on: November 26, 2009, 11:32:24 pm »

So.. Bartlett isn't going to do anything about the TMAPC contract. In fact we are between a rock and a hard spot now. We want the TMAPC interaction now (in an ideal world - with TMAPC made of folks that care about Tulsa).
Months and months ago Pat Boulden (yes the same fellow I reported John Shivels comments to - I also told Cantrell and McArtor - their reactions were priceless - I also told everyone I know - good cocktail story and yes I think Shivels wife need to know her husband makes such comments) brought the issue before us concerning the TMAPC contract. Afterall a new comp plan is the perfect time to discuss such matters. When Fregonese suggested consolidation the RE/Developer bunch on the TMAPC, along with the chaps at INCOG went slightly ballistic - the comments were removed from the PlaniTulsa booklet.

I asked Fregonese to provide us with a list of best practices from other cities. Anyone want to wager that won't happen?
Liz Wright
« Reply #86 on: November 26, 2009, 11:41:26 pm »

We have an outdated and outmoded method of city planning. Most folks don't pay attention to what happens - they have jobs and lives. The only folks that really do - for whatever their reason - are the ones paid to do so.

So - why does the county have 4 seats on the TMAPC? Why?  If we were a metro form of government I could see it - in the 19 months or so that I've been on the TMAPC we have only dealt with a few county cases. The county pays a lot of money to TMAPC - how does the county benefit? Zoning - upgrade the zoning you upgrade the property taxes. In fact the county has some very steady streams of income - on the backs of Tulsa's residents.

There is your homework - add to this --
Liz Wright
« Reply #87 on: November 26, 2009, 11:49:19 pm »

Oh - back to the hearing - yes it was grueling - more so because I was operating on 3 hours sleep because of a clients project that was due on Monday. It was laughable. No evidence. That is correct. No evidence. Keith actually suggested that I made the May 21st meeting (the longest in TMAPC history) so long because I asked questions. Not that there was a room full of people on several contentious developments - So, as I mentioned before they are looking for highly contraversial issues like .. my asking about stormwater, wastewater, environmental or other concerns. Bottom line anything that indicates my lack of rubber stamping.

I thoroughly enjoyed the implication that before my being appointed to the TMAPC that its image was peachy.

I am looking forward to the list of things a TMAPC commissioner shouldn't ask.
Liz Wright
« Reply #88 on: November 26, 2009, 11:55:09 pm »

I am sure there is more to comment on if I thought about it. I won't find out what their allegations are til Monday. I do know that they should all be reading this forum.

There are bigger more important issues. Look around the red herrings and see what you can see. Think folks --

Oh by the way - Smaligo stated that they (the County Commissioners) will determine what makes up "just cause". Meaning you don't even get to read the fine print - shifting sands.

Does anyone know why their meetings aren't televised?

Comments and questions are always welcomed.

Cheers - Liz Wright
Liz Wright
« Reply #89 on: November 27, 2009, 12:24:45 am »

http://docs.google.com/fileview?id=0BzE1VdqROfFTOTJiMjUwMzAtMWJiZi00ZTg1LWFlZjgtNWQ0OTU5ZGUzNzMy&hl=en

is the link to Leighty's "facts".

Interesting that Leighty is reporting on situations he has no first hand knowledge of; and he continues to miss the fact that the TMAPC had already voted on the Holland Lakes issue. And he rather neglects to state that the Holland Lakes HOA invited all of the commissioners to view the location. Even Karen Keith went out. I went out on a Saturday morning - met several of the neighbors, Bill Christensen was there and some folks were tramping about in the woods. So.. gosh everyone else can speak to the neighbors but I can't. Hmm..

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 9   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org