A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 05:29:11 am
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: QuikTrip 15th & Denver  (Read 25727 times)
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #15 on: October 28, 2009, 03:00:30 pm »

Ahhh...there's the rub.  Is QT a "Gasoline Service Station," a "retail trade establishment" or a "convenience goods and services?"  (It matters from a zoning perspective.)

But you're right.  QT's business plan is based on getting cars in and out.  The fact that, in some neighborhoods, a lot of people walk to QT to purchase items (I used to walk to this store on a regular basis to buy milk), is irrelevant to them.  They, like all national chains, have developed a "one-size-fits-all" mentality.  Great for them.  Bad for historic neighborhoods, where Tulsa's zoning code encourages suburban models of development.  (Remember, shops on Cherry Street and Brookside would be illegal under current zoning.)

In keeping with my quixotic attempts to encourage appropriate urban design in urban areas, I spoke with one of the QT reps about offering an "urban QT" in downtown Tulsa. (No gas.  Walkable design.)  To her credit, she didn't laugh in my face.  (I'm sure she held it in, and then laughed so hard she snorted her QT fountain drink all over the inside of her car upon leaving City Hall...)

Back when you and I were growing up, QT, Git-N-Go, U-Totem, Circle K, etc. ad nauseum were places we'd ride our bikes to or walk, they were what neighborhood grocers more or less evolved into.  After getting off the school bus every afternoon, me and my "bicycle gang" buddies would ride about a mile to the nearest QT at 81st & Harvard in Walnut Creek (the one on the west side of Harvard).  That's when QT would still build in a strip center.  At that time I think that store had two pumps or it might have been one double-sider.  I seem to remember there actually being QT's without gas pumps in the late 1970's.

I don't remember at what point it was they decided gasoline retail was their bright future and that's why they went to these stand-alone stores exclusively with pump islands, but I do recall they made a big deal of it somewhere around 20 years ago or so, I'd guess.  It's become the reason for their big box mentality (or is it small box in their case?).  I don't know that their classification is even relevant anymore (convenience, gas retailer, etc.) Doesn't the city just say: "Oh it's another QT set of permits, send them through the express lane!"?

Mike Thornbrugh seems to be the go-to guy on QT real estate, maybe you could sniff out his email address and suggest an urban QT concept. 

I wasn't lampooning anyone in particular in my prior comments, BTW.  In case you hadn't noticed, I usually do like to dig out the irony in things.  Wink

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
TheArtist
T-Town Elder

« Reply #16 on: October 28, 2009, 03:15:06 pm »

What I think is sad is how lame the QT stores look here compared to the ones I saw in the Dallas area while visiting a couple months ago.  I mentioned this to a friend who lives there and he says its because they are required to look nicer.  I saw several that were very nice, light stone on the exteriors and stone covering the columns that hold up the nicer canopies over the pumps, soft soothing lighting, etc.  They were actually classy looking lol. Its frustrating that the ones in QTs own home town look like crap in comparison.

"When you only have two pennies left in the world, buy a loaf of bread with one, and a lily with the other."-Chinese proverb. "Arts a staple. Like bread or wine or a warm coat in winter. Those who think it is a luxury have only a fragment of a mind. Mans spirit grows hungry for art in the same way h
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #17 on: October 28, 2009, 03:43:21 pm »

What I think is sad is how lame the QT stores look here compared to the ones I saw in the Dallas area while visiting a couple months ago.  I mentioned this to a friend who lives there and he says its because they are required to look nicer.  I saw several that were very nice, light stone on the exteriors and stone covering the columns that hold up the nicer canopies over the pumps, soft soothing lighting, etc.  They were actually classy looking lol. Its frustrating that the ones in QTs own home town look like crap in comparison.

Take a look at all the craptastic Tuscan dryvit nightmares in Tulsa and that might provide a clue as to why our commercial buildings don't look vastly better.  Amazing what passes for "aesthetically pleasing" around here.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
TUalum0982
Philanthropist

« Reply #18 on: October 28, 2009, 09:51:55 pm »

Back when you and I were growing up, QT, Git-N-Go, U-Totem, Circle K, etc. ad nauseum were places we'd ride our bikes to or walk, they were what neighborhood grocers more or less evolved into.  After getting off the school bus every afternoon, me and my "bicycle gang" buddies would ride about a mile to the nearest QT at 81st & Harvard in Walnut Creek (the one on the west side of Harvard).  That's when QT would still build in a strip center.  At that time I think that store had two pumps or it might have been one double-sider.  I seem to remember there actually being QT's without gas pumps in the late 1970's.

I don't remember at what point it was they decided gasoline retail was their bright future and that's why they went to these stand-alone stores exclusively with pump islands, but I do recall they made a big deal of it somewhere around 20 years ago or so, I'd guess.  It's become the reason for their big box mentality (or is it small box in their case?).  I don't know that their classification is even relevant anymore (convenience, gas retailer, etc.) Doesn't the city just say: "Oh it's another QT set of permits, send them through the express lane!"?

Mike Thornbrugh seems to be the go-to guy on QT real estate, maybe you could sniff out his email address and suggest an urban QT concept. 

I wasn't lampooning anyone in particular in my prior comments, BTW.  In case you hadn't noticed, I usually do like to dig out the irony in things.  Wink

here is a customer feedback page on QT's website. I know for a fact they get read daily.  You can ask to be notified if you like and they will call you back.  It goes to the division office first, then corp.  I know Thornbrughs email address but couldnt find it anywhere on the net, so they might not want it to be public.  None the less, the customer comments form should get the message across.

http://www.quiktrip.com/QTCustomerFeedback/QTCustomerFeedbackForm.aspx

"You cant solve Stupid." 
"I don't do sorry, sorry is for criminals and screw ups."
sgrizzle
Kung Fu Treachery
T-Town Elder

Inconceivable!

« Reply #19 on: October 29, 2009, 08:21:29 am »

They use firstinitial+lastname@quiktrip.com for their email addresses.
Ibanez
City Father

« Reply #20 on: October 29, 2009, 08:43:56 am »

Looking forward to seeing the new store design. Hopefully the vehicle traffic will flow more easily to and from it.

My wife and I live in Bixby and frequent the QT at 151st & Memorial, walk to it on a regular basis since it is only about 4 blocks from our house, and I wish they would do something to help the traffic flow around that location. It is a nightmare for both vehicles and pedestrians due to the smallish parking lot and the resulting congestion.
SXSW
City Father

« Reply #21 on: October 29, 2009, 10:36:09 am »

I would say this store probably has more pedestrian traffic than any QT in Tulsa, which it would seem would then make sense for them to make the pedestrian experience better.  Isn't this also QT's busiest store anywhere?

Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #22 on: October 29, 2009, 10:47:38 am »

I would say this store probably has more pedestrian traffic than any QT in Tulsa, which it would seem would then make sense for them to make the pedestrian experience better.  Isn't this also QT's busiest store anywhere?

No, I think that honor goes to the one at 161st & I-44.

carltonplace
Historic Artifact
City Father

« Reply #23 on: November 06, 2009, 12:25:08 pm »

My neighbor (who lives on Carson) was on the design team for this new store GEN III prototype.

If it sucks for the neighbors we will be in his front yard with torches and pitchforks and give the word "mob" a bad name.
bokworker
Civic Leader

« Reply #24 on: November 06, 2009, 03:27:37 pm »

My neighbor (who lives on Carson) was on the design team for this new store GEN III prototype.

If it sucks for the neighbors we will be in his front yard with torches and pitchforks and give the word "mob" a bad name.

Being a fellow neighbor I want an invite to the party...

carltonplace
Historic Artifact
City Father

« Reply #25 on: November 09, 2009, 03:19:42 pm »

Consider it done, if you look off of your balcony and see the torches moving north on Carson grab an effigy and join in.
Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

I might be moving to Anguilla soon...

« Reply #26 on: November 09, 2009, 03:37:50 pm »

Looks like another new QT is going up (not a new gen) at a very interesting parcel of land.

http://maps.google.com/maps?q=36.089226,-95.834245&num=1&t=h&sll=36.089186,-95.834057&sspn=0.003091,0.004726&ie=UTF8&ll=36.089303,-95.834239&spn=0.003091,0.004726&z=18&iwloc=near

The shape is what makes it interesting.  I work just a half mile north of this.

Libertarianism is a system of beliefs for people who think adolescence is the epitome of human achievement.

Global warming isn't real because it was cold today.  Also great news: world famine is over because I just ate - Stephen Colbert.

Somebody find Guido an ambulance to chase...
TheArtist
T-Town Elder

« Reply #27 on: November 09, 2009, 05:41:50 pm »

Smart location actually. Lots and lots of new homes going in just east of there in BA. Many of those folks may shoot down 51st into town. And of course being visible near the highway wont hurt.

"When you only have two pennies left in the world, buy a loaf of bread with one, and a lily with the other."-Chinese proverb. "Arts a staple. Like bread or wine or a warm coat in winter. Those who think it is a luxury have only a fragment of a mind. Mans spirit grows hungry for art in the same way h
Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

« Reply #28 on: November 09, 2009, 06:36:25 pm »

Smart location actually. Lots and lots of new homes going in just east of there in BA. Many of those folks may shoot down 51st into town. And of course being visible near the highway wont hurt.

That's gonna be a traffic nightmare though.  Frontage to two roads, one a small frontage on S 129th/Olive and will likely be right turn only unless they do what they did at 11th and 169.  I work in the old Oxy Center which is the Merit Park, and having QT Corporate, State Farm, TCHD and HSBC right there will make for a traffic nightmare during rush hours.

Libertarianism is a system of beliefs for people who think adolescence is the epitome of human achievement.

Global warming isn't real because it was cold today.  Also great news: world famine is over because I just ate - Stephen Colbert.

Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

« Reply #29 on: May 24, 2010, 01:16:34 pm »

That's gonna be a traffic nightmare though.  Frontage to two roads, one a small frontage on S 129th/Olive and will likely be right turn only unless they do what they did at 11th and 169.  I work in the old Oxy Center which is the Merit Park, and having QT Corporate, State Farm, TCHD and HSBC right there will make for a traffic nightmare during rush hours.

hate to bump this old topic, but this new QT opened over the weekend and, my mistake, it IS the new design.  First one completed in town.  It was a 'soft open' (the grand opening is Thursday).

I like it.  I was mistaken in thinking it was smaller than the other QT's as well.  The new set of Google images shows its differences from it and the older design.  I was pleasantly surprised at how thoughtfully laid out the whole store is.

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org