A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 01, 2024, 08:27:26 am
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What is there to do around Tulsa?  (Read 12560 times)
brianh
« Reply #15 on: October 21, 2009, 11:26:20 am »

Parking is a real problem downtown if you have to be at a certain place at a certain time. Last Thursday around 8:30am there was some sort of activity at the BOK center and traffic around the area was locked up for over 6 blocks.  They had even taken the cheap meter parking for the municipal court and turned it into an 8$ parking lot, all the meters within at least a 5 block radius were taken. So there is truly no reasonable parking downtown sometimes.
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #16 on: October 21, 2009, 12:38:57 pm »

"I lived in Tulsa all my life..."

Wait, what?  Have you moved?
Are you posting from beyond the grave?
Oh, I see.  You're referring to yourself in past tense.
It's okay though,  I can't be too hard on you, I'd refer to myself in the past tense too, if I were living in a constant state of fear.

How's that treating you at the ripe old age of 21?   
No wonder you can't find anything to do.

I know, I know, I know, It's a big scary world out there, but sometimes you gotta bite the bullet and risk your car. 

Go easy on Maddie at least she/he hasn't assumed the identity of the Devil and started speaking in the third person.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
cannon_fodder
All around good guy.
T-Town Elder

« Reply #17 on: October 21, 2009, 12:46:59 pm »

all the meters within at least a 5 block radius were taken. So there is truly no reasonable parking downtown sometimes.

5 blocks to a major venue (#5 in the nation) isn't reasonable?

If you truly feel there isn't enough parking near the BOk center than buy up some space and build a new parking garage.  You should get rich.

Honestly, I'm not saying you can park in front of your destination at all times.  But I don't think you should expect that in an urban area.  Certainly it isn't necessary.  If you want all around walk-up parking you end up with strip malls and Wal-mart.   The antithesis of an urban area.

- - - - - - - - -
I crush grooves.
brianh
« Reply #18 on: October 21, 2009, 03:03:10 pm »

5 blocks to a major venue (#5 in the nation) isn't reasonable?

If you truly feel there isn't enough parking near the BOk center than buy up some space and build a new parking garage.  You should get rich.

Honestly, I'm not saying you can park in front of your destination at all times.  But I don't think you should expect that in an urban area.  Certainly it isn't necessary.  If you want all around walk-up parking you end up with strip malls and Wal-mart.   The antithesis of an urban area.
I expect 5 blocks or more when I am going to the arena. In this case it was to spend 15 minutes paying a traffic ticket. That is a little too much for me when I have to be there at a certain time.
Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

I might be moving to Anguilla soon...

« Reply #19 on: October 21, 2009, 03:43:41 pm »

I expect 5 blocks or more when I am going to the arena. In this case it was to spend 15 minutes paying a traffic ticket. That is a little too much for me when I have to be there at a certain time.

Get there earlier.  Simple as that.  Works for me every time.

Libertarianism is a system of beliefs for people who think adolescence is the epitome of human achievement.

Global warming isn't real because it was cold today.  Also great news: world famine is over because I just ate - Stephen Colbert.

Somebody find Guido an ambulance to chase...
Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #20 on: October 22, 2009, 07:05:38 am »

Get there earlier.  Simple as that.  Works for me every time.

What a cruel and insensitive thing to say to someone who is time challenged.  Not everyone has your skill level of time management.

brianh
« Reply #21 on: October 22, 2009, 07:24:47 am »

Get there earlier.  Simple as that.  Works for me every time.
That runs afoul of the fallacy of accident.  If you didn't have exact knowledge of unpredictable events ahead of time you could easily spend all your "get there earlier" time trying to work your way out of traffic jams. No matter what kind of planning goes in to downtown parking and traffic, I don't think that statement can ever hold up to an absolute.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2009, 07:27:11 am by brianh » Logged
Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #22 on: October 22, 2009, 07:54:09 am »

Well anyway, I believe the original poster took her ball and went home.

I don't believe she heard what she wanted to hear and will hole up for another 21 years or until teleportation makes its way to Tulsa.
Maddie72188
« Reply #23 on: October 22, 2009, 10:07:11 am »

Well anyway, I believe the original poster took her ball and went home.

I don't believe she heard what she wanted to hear and will hole up for another 21 years or until teleportation makes its way to Tulsa.

You wish, I've been quietly watching the cattiness unfold, from people who should be adults, but do want to thank those (like brianh, THEArtist, and most of the time Conan71) who were helpful, or at least more helpful then hateful. As for hearing what i wanted to hear, I did hear some helpful things, despite snide remarks, and to answer another question, no I do not have special needs but I do help someone who does and they deserve to get out more.
Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #24 on: October 22, 2009, 10:33:42 am »

I do not have special needs but I do help someone who does and they deserve to get out more.

There you go.

Omitting reasons for needing close parking makes it more difficult to get a straight answer.  So does being unfriendly and annoying to people you don't know.

This site can be very accommodating and helpful when you're reasonable and say why you need special treatment such as close parking.

Think about how you'd like to be treated and try again.  Don't treat people with malice unless you want to be treated poorly yourself. 
TURobY
Social Butterfly
City Father

« Reply #25 on: October 22, 2009, 11:14:53 am »

I do not have special needs but I do help someone who does and they deserve to get out more.
There are a couple of people on this board in the same situation. With this piece of helpful information, maybe they can chime in.

---Robert
Renaissance
City Father

« Reply #26 on: October 22, 2009, 12:18:21 pm »

I lived in Tulsa all my life but we (my fiance and I) want to get out more, both 21, we aren't into the drinking scence that much but have no objection to bars/clubs, we would love to go dancing or something like that (preferably no or low cost). It seems everything in Tulsa is either child (no objection to kids, we just don't have any) or church/religion centered (no objection to this either, we just aren't religious) anyone have any ideas? Also (if at all possible) i'd like to stay away from downtown or brookside (no parking)

I'd start here: http://www.tulsaworld.com/scene/ to get an idea of everything that's going on in town at a given time.  If you're ruling out downtown and Brookside, you're ruling out a good majority of the "bars/clubs" around town, but you should consider taking a second look.  Another good resource for ideas on how to fill your evenings is UTW's 7+1: http://www.urbantulsa.com/gyrobase/Content?oid=oid%3A28303

Otherwise, I recommend asking around among your peers, work friends and other acquaintances to see what they're up to.  If you build a core of folks to socialize with, you'll never be at a loss for something to do in a town the size of Tulsa.  Good luck.

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org