A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 02:14:47 pm
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Tulsa needs to think big and look ahead...  (Read 6441 times)
Laramie
City Father

« on: October 06, 2009, 01:25:40 pm »

Thinking big?   Smiley  I was impressed with the fact that some Tulsans are thinking about the 2020 Olympics.  Can't hurt to think big regardless of how far-fetched it appears.

What about the National Hockey League?  You would have the NBA in Oklahoma City and the NHL in Tulsa.

Both cities could complement each other supporting two major league teams.  It appears to be working in North Carolina with the Carolina Hurricanes (Raleigh) and the Charlotte Bobcats (Charlotte).

Time for Oklahoma City and Tulsa to serge ahead, both cities are emerging it the national spotlight and it's time to grow together!

“Think for yourself and let others enjoy the privilege of doing so too.” ― Voltaire
FOTD
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2009, 01:33:39 pm »

Larry,

Get a grip on reality.

Take a look at income, population and education demographics.

Then get back to us.

FOTD

high school football rules!

stageidea
Civic Leader

« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2009, 01:36:23 pm »

Where does education demographics come into play for a national hockey team. 

FOTD
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2009, 01:40:11 pm »

Where does education demographics come into play for a national hockey team. 

There's a direct correlation between education and disposable income....

Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2009, 01:40:11 pm »

I agree Laramie, why not push for bigger and better?

We may not get it but at least others will know we're interested in trying. 

If we can yell over the uber-negative debbies we might have a chance developing more things here.
FOTD
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2009, 01:45:01 pm »

I agree Laramie, why not push for bigger and better?

We may not get it but at least others will know we're interested in trying. 

If we can yell over the uber-negative debbies we might have a chance developing more irrational costly socialized things here.

fixed that
Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2009, 01:47:13 pm »

fixed that

What is a "irrational costly socialized" thing?

Your grasp of the the language is slipping.
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2009, 02:02:25 pm »

What is a "irrational costly socialized" thing?

Your grasp of the the language is slipping.

He's channeling shadows today.  Don't disturb him, he's on a roll.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
waterboy
« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2009, 07:18:02 pm »

Irrational costly socialized aside, its a useless proposal. Just another snickering opportunity for our extended families living in the real world (outside of Oklahoma) Wink
Laramie
City Father

« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2009, 11:19:25 am »

Irrational costly socialized aside, its a useless proposal. Just another snickering opportunity for our extended families living in the real world (outside of Oklahoma) Wink

Why worry or concern ourselves about the snickering--those that snicker at Oklahoma are going to continue to do that anyway?

I remember in 1997 when Oklahoma City was attempting to get an NHL franchise, people were snickering then, and many of the people in Raleigh were bragging that they got it done by relocation of the Hartford Whalers.

I underestimated out city's potential to support an NBA franchise until the Hornets gave us that trial run in 2005-06.  I thought we would be doing great if we could average 12,000-14,000 for a team that wasn't ours, our initial year in the NBA the New Orleans-Oklahoma City Hornets drew 18,168; we had totally underestimated our city's potential.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/attendance?year=2006

I thought that the NHL was much more realistic that the NBA for OKC; boy was I way off base.

I've lived in Tulsa (17th & Peoria) and I have always believed that Tulsa had much more potential than Oklahoma City and that if anyone got a Fab Four Major League franchise--that Tulsa would get there first.

Tulsa is much more cosmopolitan than Oklahoma City (more beautiful & cleaner); however, Tulsa has been less agressive than OKC when it comes to business & major and minor league sports.

Why isn't Tulsa a AAA affiliate in baseball?  I remember when OKC had the 89ers (pre-Bricktown Ballpark) in the old PCL & American Association, you guys were outdrawing us every year and yet you were in AA level. The agressiveness and vision just hasn't been there.

http://images.search.yahoo.com/search/images?_adv_prop=image&fr=yfp-t-156&va=okc+bricktown+ballpark&sz=all

There is a great potential to bring Tulsa and Oklahoma City a lot closer with high speed rail.  Maybe ten years from now people will be thinking about building a major sports retractable roof stadium between both cities (Stroud?).

OKC is get gearing up for MAPS III a $770 million penny sales tax extension which will produce these major projects:  A 70 acre Central Park & new Convention Center downtown along with a new rail-based streetcar system, plus potential funding for other rail transit initiatives, such as commuter lines and a transit hub.

http://www.okc.gov/maps3/

As I said, I've lived in Tulsa, and there is much more potential there than here.  Don't sell yourselves short!

“Think for yourself and let others enjoy the privilege of doing so too.” ― Voltaire
cannon_fodder
All around good guy.
T-Town Elder

« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2009, 03:31:21 pm »

I appreciate the comments Laramie.  While I don't share your enthusiasm for pro sports, it bothers me that people from out of town see Tulsa's potential while "locals" are all too happy to shout "NAY!"   I agree that Tulsa has more potential than OKC and some inherent advantages:  better landscape (hills & trees!), architecture, interesting streetscapes, several neat districts, and a nice skyline.    But Tulsa hasn't done anything to leverage those assets into much in the last 25 years that I can tell.  A lack of ambition or leadership, I don't know. . . but I look down the turnpike with some jealousy at your projects.

- - - - - - - - -
I crush grooves.
Breadburner
City Father

« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2009, 08:38:51 pm »

He's channeling shadows today.  Don't disturb him, he's on a roll.

Hawkins
« Reply #12 on: October 09, 2009, 01:39:31 pm »

Thinking big?   Smiley  I was impressed with the fact that some Tulsans are thinking about the 2020 Olympics.  Can't hurt to think big regardless of how far-fetched it appears.

Fell out of my chair on this one!!

Funnier than Colbert on Glenn Beck last night!!

Great laugh, you've made my day!

okcpulse
Civic Leader

« Reply #13 on: October 19, 2009, 09:36:41 pm »

I underestimated out city's potential to support an NBA franchise until the Hornets gave us that trial run in 2005-06.  I thought we would be doing great if we could average 12,000-14,000 for a team that wasn't ours, our initial year in the NBA the New Orleans-Oklahoma City Hornets drew 18,168; we had totally underestimated our city's potential.

Tulsa is much more cosmopolitan than Oklahoma City (more beautiful & cleaner); however, Tulsa has been less agressive than OKC when it comes to business & major and minor league sports.

There is a great potential to bring Tulsa and Oklahoma City a lot closer with high speed rail.  Maybe ten years from now people will be thinking about building a major sports retractable roof stadium between both cities (Stroud?).

OKC is get gearing up for MAPS III a $770 million penny sales tax extension which will produce these major projects:  A 70 acre Central Park & new Convention Center downtown along with a new rail-based streetcar system, plus potential funding for other rail transit initiatives, such as commuter lines and a transit hub.

As I said, I've lived in Tulsa, and there is much more potential there than here.  Don't sell yourselves short!

I feel both cities have equal potential.  And I disagree that Oklahoma City is less cosmopolitan than Tulsa.  It is more diverse and quickly coming to its own.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org