A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 07:21:33 pm
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Michael Bates is an embarrassment to the Republican party  (Read 42036 times)
cannon_fodder
All around good guy.
T-Town Elder

« Reply #30 on: September 09, 2009, 02:58:32 pm »

RM:  his article makes it clear why he posted things about the finances.  Bartlet is/was running as a business man.  He can successfully run a business he can successfully run Tulsa.  It's a large part of his platform.

Bates research casts a doubt on that angle.

If we didn't have people like Bates willing to stick their neck out and invest time doing research, everyone would be perfect as far as the public is concerned.  Did he find a smoking gun?  Nope.  Many people probably didn't see the relevance in the financial information or really care . . . but that doesn't mean his past shouldn't be brought up.  Let the voters decide if it is relevant or not.  So long as it is accurate, bring it out in the open.

Additionally, those documents are all a matter of public record.  You can go down and get a copy for $.25 a page (or whatever it is now).  All he did was make it easier for the public to access those documents.  So yeah, you can accuse of him of digging deep into people he doesn't like - but so what?  I'd be happy if every candidate had a person that doesn't like them digging for dirt.   

Sorry, but I don't trust candidates to come clean on their own.  Getting elected is the name of the game.  Half truths, forgetting some things in the past, and pandering to certain groups is the way that gets done. The more truth that gets thrown in every now and then, the better.  I'm sure it keeps some good people from running and getting elected, but it also keeps a bunch of creeps away.

- - - - - - - - -
I crush grooves.
swake
T-Town Elder

« Reply #31 on: September 09, 2009, 03:04:43 pm »

And to those that dont think Medlock put up a good fight...remember, he won about 1/3 of his party's votes, behind Bartlett's 1/2 with Falling taking in a distant 1/10 and the rest split.  Id call that a challenger my friends.

Really? A challenger?

He had the most motivated base of any candidate because he played to the angry, the disaffected and the scared. He had the right wing Tulsa blogosphere and KFAQ propping him up and blowing apart his rather weak opponent and he still could only pull 1/3 of the Republican Party vote.

Medlock’s appeal to Democrats and independents is just about zero. In a general election he would have gotten under 20% of the vote. Even less against a competent challenger. He has zero chance of ever winning any large base general election. He knows it, and even worse for him the people that fund campaigns know it.

This just goes to prove that the loud angry mob that posts on the Tulsa World site and listens to KFAQ is a pretty small minority.
DowntownNow
« Reply #32 on: September 09, 2009, 03:17:59 pm »

Swake, what Im drawing reference to is they dont appear to be a small minority when they come in second taking 1/3 of the votes cast. 

Look at the opposite side, Adelson took 95% of the vote with the rest divided up among the other challengers.  If Medlock didnt have support whether it be the angry mob or not, he would have walked away with 1/3 of his party's vote. 

That still means that roughly 7500 of the 50,000 or 15% of the voting populace resonated at some level with his platform.  That means there is a 15% block out there that could be persuaded one way or the other if the issues and concerns are legitimate.  15% of the voting block is a good solid number...32% of your party's is a very good number.  It isnt simply 'nothing' is all I'm saying.
RecycleMichael
truth teller
T-Town Elder

« Reply #33 on: September 09, 2009, 03:43:06 pm »

Twice as many people voted against him as for him this time. How many elections in a row has he lost now?

This ain't horseshoes.

Power is nothing till you use it.
joiei
City Father

« Reply #34 on: September 09, 2009, 04:00:03 pm »

the vote count difference between Bartlett and Medlock was over 5000 votes.  Considering how many voted, thats a lot to me.   Oh, and the vote count for was 7004, not nearly 7500.   
« Last Edit: September 09, 2009, 04:01:59 pm by joiei » Logged

It's hard being a Diamond in a rhinestone world.
FOTD
« Reply #35 on: September 09, 2009, 04:16:55 pm »

It was nice seeing TA say he supports accepting federal stimulus funds for police....where's Screwy Dewey Republicans on this issue? Bates?
Shadow6
« Reply #36 on: September 09, 2009, 04:18:00 pm »

I know, I know....I shouldn't even peek between my covered eyes at his site but I guess I like train wrecks........

And granted, I've been away from Tulsa for awhile... but why must local members (Bates, Medlock) of the party that I have devoted the majority of my professional life to engage in the type of class warfare that we rightfully admonish those Democrats who engage in such shameful tactics?

This city is great and it is its citizenry that makes it so....despite the best efforts of the likes of Michael Bates and Chris Medlock

Dear Nitwit,

What a pathetic first post.

You imply that you have been serving the Republican Party in DC.  If your very first post on this forum is indicative of the way Republican operatives work in DC, I now have a clearer idea why my national party has displayed a shocking lack of competence and moral compass over the last several years.

Your post is childish.  I am not even going to take the time to school you in your many errors.  I'll bet it would not do any good anyway. 

I suggest you actually take a few days to read Michael Bates' blog and his articles in Urban Tulsa to see where he is coming from.  I don't expect you to do that, of course.  I think you are simply going to attack, attack, attack.  If so, I'll just file your rantings under "Posts by Useful Idiots supporting Democrats and the Midtown Money Belt".

FOTD
« Reply #37 on: September 09, 2009, 04:22:38 pm »

Dear Nitwit,

You imply that you have been serving the Republican Party in DC.  If your very first post on this forum is indicative of the way Republican operatives work in DC, I now have a clearer idea why my national party has displayed a shocking lack of competence and moral compass over the last several years.

Your post is childish.  I am not even going to take the time to school you in your many errors.  I'll bet it would not do any good anyway. 

I suggest you actually take a few days to read Michael Bates' blog and his articles in Urban Tulsa to see where he is coming from.  I don't expect you to do that, of course.  I think you are simply going to attack, attack, attack.  If so, I'll just file your rantings under "Posts by Useful Idiots supporting Democrats and the Midtown Money Belt".

Yeah big city....you go dig up all that non sense. Then get back to us....
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #38 on: September 10, 2009, 07:55:55 am »

Dear Nitwit,

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
MDepr2007
« Reply #39 on: September 10, 2009, 04:23:33 pm »

Twice as many people voted against him as for him this time. How many elections in a row has he lost now?

This ain't horseshoes.

So sgrizzle shouldn't run again then  Huh
sgrizzle
Kung Fu Treachery
T-Town Elder

Inconceivable!

« Reply #40 on: September 10, 2009, 05:17:24 pm »

So sgrizzle shouldn't run again then  Huh

Everyone loses the first time. Most people give up after the third or fourth. If I was Medlock I would run for a different post, like State Rep, to try to disassociate himself from his perceived public persona of a raging republican and distance himself from the MBA and e-mail debacles.  No amount of repeatedly running for the same office will sway those opposed to him.

This image in the TulsaWorld doesnt help either.

MEDLOCK SMASH!

TURobY
Social Butterfly
City Father

« Reply #41 on: September 10, 2009, 05:30:11 pm »

This image in the TulsaWorld doesnt help either.

I'm not trying to be a smart-donkey, but that's pretty much how he has looked every time I've seen him.

---Robert
Bat Bat
Activist

Holy haberdashery, Batman!

« Reply #42 on: September 10, 2009, 06:33:11 pm »

Medlock ran for State Rep. a few years ago; right after he lost the last race for mayor.  He lost to Fred Jordan by large number in that race to.
sgrizzle
Kung Fu Treachery
T-Town Elder

Inconceivable!

« Reply #43 on: September 10, 2009, 06:40:40 pm »

Medlock ran for State Rep. a few years ago; right after he lost the last race for mayor.  He lost to Fred Jordan by large number in that race to.

He should move to a more apathetic area then.
RecycleMichael
truth teller
T-Town Elder

« Reply #44 on: September 11, 2009, 09:48:29 am »

He should move to a more apathetic area then.

My hood is cranky and don't trust gubmint. He could be the Godfather of East Tulsa.

Power is nothing till you use it.
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org