A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 04:10:56 pm
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Crow Creek/Midland Valley Trails  (Read 7255 times)
Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #15 on: August 31, 2009, 05:26:39 pm »

The site below has a downloadable map of the RR in OK in 1915.  Near the top of the page is a spot to click for eastern OK and another for western OK.

http://okgenweb.org/okprojects/xref/railroads.html

SXSW
City Father

« Reply #16 on: August 31, 2009, 07:21:48 pm »

I think it may have reverted back to the original land owners.  There are several sections along 64 between Bixby and Leonard that the farmers have removed the grade and are using it for farming.  In Bixby, most of the grade has been removed west of Memorial and it looks like a school athletic field has taken the place of some of the old ROW.

Yeah I noticed that, and then it picks back up just east of Bixby.  If the west (or east) bank trails were ever finally extended all the way south to Bixby it could connect to the MV east of town.  It would be cool to explore regardless.

Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #17 on: August 31, 2009, 07:35:05 pm »

Yeah I noticed that, and then it picks back up just east of Bixby.  If the west (or east) bank trails were ever finally extended all the way south to Bixby it could connect to the MV east of town.  It would be cool to explore regardless.

It would have been great if the group trying to start an excursion train from Bixby to Muskogee had raised enough money after the flood to rebuild the track. I think they planned to use a steam locomotive. 

Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #18 on: August 31, 2009, 08:22:23 pm »

If you look on Google at the southwest side of the Muskogee Airport where the line comes in from Leonard, there is another one that heads southwest toward Wainright, Hichita, Dewar and into Henryetta. I was able to follow it to Dustin, and then lost it southwest of Lamar.

I think you are following the Missouri Oklahoma & Gulf, later the Kansas Oklahoma and Gulf RR.
http://www.trainweb.org/screamingeagle/history_ko&g.html

It served: Denison, TX, Carpenter's Bluff, TX, Achille, OK, Durant, OK, Tupelo, OK, Calvin, OK, Henryetta, Ok, Council Hill, OK, Muskogee, OK, Wagoner, OK, Miami, OK, and Baxter Springs, KS. 

If you go north out of Wagoner and then towards Locust Grove, you can trace a lot of what appears to be the old ROW, including some bridge piers across the river.

There was also another track that departed Muskogee west of Hatbox Field going to Okmulgee.  I haven't been able to follow any of them through Muskogee.

SXSW
City Father

« Reply #19 on: September 01, 2009, 10:55:03 am »

I know the MV used to go all the way to Ft. Smith but I can't seem to find the ROW east of Muskogee.  The stretch between Muskogee and Ft. Smith through the Brushy Mtns. would be really scenic. 

Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #20 on: September 01, 2009, 11:52:11 am »

I know the MV used to go all the way to Ft. Smith but I can't seem to find the ROW east of Muskogee.  The stretch between Muskogee and Ft. Smith through the Brushy Mtns. would be really scenic. 

I think it went south out of Muskogee then east.  I'll check later.  Google Mid-Valley RR and you can probably find something pretty quickly.

SXSW
City Father

« Reply #21 on: September 02, 2009, 08:52:43 pm »

I'm thinking about hiking the remnants of this railroad from Leonard southward, probably to near Haskell if I get up early.  Anyone ever tried hiking the old MV tracks?  I'm not sure when I'll do it but I'll be sure and take pics and post them.  I also want to keep going north sometime from the trail head in Skiatook, has anyone ever done that?
« Last Edit: September 02, 2009, 08:55:05 pm by SXSW » Logged

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org