A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 01, 2024, 12:30:18 am
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Tulsa Talons Leaving?  (Read 11457 times)
stageidea
Civic Leader

« Reply #15 on: September 02, 2009, 01:31:54 pm »

You're missing the larger picture though.  $17 plus for a ticket when the home team plays exactly 8 games a year is a steal.  They could easily charge more for that.  The Oilers play 32 games a year at around the same price point (granted the premium seats for the Talons are higher).

Well, I have to admit it is hard to argue with a good economic point.  But because I am hard headed I think we need to compare the ticket prices with other AFL2 teams.  I am curious if we are on the top of the price list or the lowest..   But you have made a good point..   

stageidea
Civic Leader

« Reply #16 on: September 02, 2009, 05:34:41 pm »

Talons Investor: We'll Play In Tulsa Next Year
http://www.ktul.com/news/stories/0909/655710.html
posted 09/02/09 4:15 pm

Tulsa - An investor with the Tulsa Talons tells NewsChannel 8 the team will play in Tulsa at the BOK Center next year.

Michael Johnson says team officials had positive and constructive conversations with the BOK Center and the City of Tulsa and says both sides are working on a joint announcement.

It comes after NewsChannel 8 first broke the story Monday night that the Talons were possibly considering a move to San Antonio to be a part of a restructured indoor football league after team ownership became unhappy with a new lease agreement proposal they received from the downtown BOK Center.

San Antonio had been the home of an Arena Football League franchise before the league suspended operations this past season, then folded.

The Talons are the winningest franchise in the history of AF2, having won 134 games in ten seasons. Tulsa also owns two ArenaCup championships, winning in 2003 and again in 2007.

TURobY
Social Butterfly
City Father

« Reply #17 on: September 02, 2009, 05:37:09 pm »

Phew! Close call...

---Robert
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #18 on: September 03, 2009, 08:43:35 am »

This is what I don't understand.  The Talons knew the rent structure when they agreed to play in the BOK, now they are unhappy with it??  Why did they sign the agreement in the first place then if they are being forced to pay above-market rent here in Tulsa.

Ross was on the radio w/ Joe Kelley and Rick Couri this morning saying the rent was above what teams were paying in similar markets.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
sgrizzle
Kung Fu Treachery
T-Town Elder

Inconceivable!

« Reply #19 on: September 03, 2009, 08:47:11 am »

This is what I don't understand.  The Talons knew the rent structure when they agreed to play in the BOK, now they are unhappy with it??  Why did they sign the agreement in the first place then if they are being forced to pay above-market rent here in Tulsa.

Ross was on the radio w/ Joe Kelley and Rick Couri this morning saying the rent was above what teams were paying in similar markets.

I believe the story is that the BOK was negotiating a NEW rent agreement with them at the same time the talons were exploring options to change leagues (thus draw in larger attendance in theory). Since the BOK gets a % of concessions, in theory you could negotiate a lower base rate for higher attendance events.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org