A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 05:45:46 pm
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Waterway Pollution?  (Read 3811 times)
waterboy
« on: August 05, 2009, 09:10:44 am »

Who does one contact to report suspected illegal polluting of a waterway? I know of one area that has always intrigued me. Something is happening there and some effort at hiding it has been made, but I don't know if it is legit or not. It is my contention that vigilance by the public would be more effective than bureacracy in spotting potential violaters.

Once spotted, however, I am cynical enough to believe that regular channels may not be effective in dealing with such violaters. Too much coziness between regulators and violaters. And sometimes, downright incompetence in seeing what is right in front of you. So, what is the most effective way to handle this? (and no, I don't think using the local TV investigators is the appropriate method)

Michael?
« Last Edit: August 05, 2009, 09:12:23 am by waterboy » Logged
cannon_fodder
All around good guy.
T-Town Elder

« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2009, 09:23:55 am »

I'm not an expert, but I imagine it could depend on the source of pollution. 

Tulsa Partners for a Clean Envronment - Quality Assurance:
(918) 591-4378
Pollution Prevention supervisor at (918) 591-4395

OSU Tulsa Graduate Department of Environmental Sciences (perhaps could test outside the regular channels?):
http://www.osu-tulsa.okstate.edu/environmentalsciencems.asp

Oklahoma Department of Environmental Quality:
http://www.deq.state.ok.us/WQDNew/

EPA region 6:
http://www.epa.gov/region6/

Also could be the corporation commission (oil and gas regulation too) or a slew of other specialty offices.  Best of luck.

- - - - - - - - -
I crush grooves.
waterboy
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2009, 09:33:02 am »

Thanks. I don't trust the ODEQ but the others are good leads.
Breadburner
City Father

« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2009, 09:45:32 am »

EPA....

RecycleMichael
truth teller
T-Town Elder

« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2009, 09:51:06 am »

I disagree with your assessment of ODEQ. I have my fights with them as well, but their complaint hotline has always got me results...

1 800 522 0206

http://www.deq.state.ok.us/ECLSnew/complaint.htm

Power is nothing till you use it.
waterboy
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2009, 10:24:19 am »

I disagree with your assessment of ODEQ. I have my fights with them as well, but their complaint hotline has always got me results...

1 800 522 0206

http://www.deq.state.ok.us/ECLSnew/complaint.htm

You may be right. I suspect them because some stories told to me indicated they were subject to political massage back in the 90's. Didn't mean any ill will towards public servants.
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2009, 11:04:48 am »

You may be right. I suspect them because some stories told to me indicated they were subject to political massage back in the 90's. Didn't mean any ill will towards public servants.

ODEQ is a classic bureaucracy.  When I had my own business (vintage motorcycle parts and component restoration), one of their field agents strolled into my shop one day.  He was looking for an aerial photograph company which used to reside in the building.  I guess they wanted to check on a few gallons of photo processing chemicals.  After asking my landlord later on, I found out the photography company had been gone for 10 years, at least.  So much for good record-keeping.

At any rate, he asked if he could wander around my shop and see what it is that I did.  He wanted to know about a five gallon container I had in a corner in the back shop.  I told him it was motor oil from my truck and I disposed of it at the fairgrounds recycling event (I would change my oil 2-3 times per year).  He was also curious about a can of carburetor cleaner and some cleaning supplies I had on hand. 

Well, that would never do with the ODEQ disposing of my motor oil in the proper manner.  No, since it was at my business, I couldn't do that.  I needed to contract with a local reclaimer to get rid of the oil and I need to have a written up plan for my disposal plans.  This was followed up a week or so later by letter from ODEQ asking for my plan and to contract with a disposal company, to which I replied with a "F.O." letter.  They followed up again a few weeks later with another letter requesting I submit a written plan to which I replied with a "F.O. even more" letter.  About a month later I got another letter, to which I replied with a "F.O. and die twice" letter.  They finally got the picture and quit harassing me.

What pissed me off most about the whole issue was, this "inspector" had driven past two body shops on my block which would qualify as small superfund sites and which did not have approved ventilation systems, to hassle me about a small amount of motor oil which was properly contained and for which I did responsible disposal.

If this is an obvious problem as Waterboy is making it sound like, then ODEQ should already know about it, unless they've over-stressed their resources shaking down small mom-and-pop operations over a couple of gallons of used motor oil.  I can't say I've got a whole lot of faith in them.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
Vision 2025
Philanthropist

« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2009, 10:13:39 am »

ODEQ has "primacy" authorized by the EPA for issues in Oklahoma related to enforcement of the Clean Water Act, except for a select few dischargers that they have kept a close eye on because of ongoing enforcement actions. 

With point source complaints and I have found them to be fast and appropriate when responding.  In addition, they have a statutory responsibility for prompt investigation and reporting back to the complainant.

If you call the EPA they will refeer it back to ODEQ and cost you a couple of days in the process.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2009, 12:04:01 pm by Vision 2025 » Logged

Vision 2025 Program Director - know the facts, www.Vision2025.info
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org