A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 03:12:22 pm
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Yellow Light runners  (Read 12724 times)
patric
T-Town Elder

These Aren't the Droids You're Looking For

« Reply #15 on: August 03, 2009, 10:02:04 pm »

What's the usual interval for a yellow light?  Two seconds?  Three?

The Institute of Transportation Engineers (ITE) formula for calculating yellow light times is included below:

Recommended Yellow Light Times
Three seconds should be the absolute minimum time for any intersection.

25 MPH -- 3.0 Seconds
30 MPH -- 3.5 Seconds
35 MPH -- 4.0 Seconds
40 MPH -- 4.5 Seconds
45 MPH -- 5.0 Seconds
50 MPH -- 5.5 Seconds
55 MPH -- 6.0 Seconds

"Tulsa will lay off police and firemen before we will cut back on unnecessarily wasteful streetlights."  -- March 18, 2009 TulsaNow Forum
cannon_fodder
All around good guy.
T-Town Elder

« Reply #16 on: August 04, 2009, 08:21:06 am »

Wilbur:

I was taught in Drivers Ed some moons ago to ENTER an intersection before turning left.  You intend to turn left, light turns green, enter the intersection, wait for traffic to clear - turn left.  In such a way you are able to complete a left turn much more quickly than if you were sitting 20 feet back. If you enter the intersection and the light turns yellow, oncoming traffic then stops and you complete your turn.

In this scenario I could end up in the intersection on a red light as I clear the intersection.  Will I get a ticket for this?  If so, what is the proper course of action?

- - - - - - - - -
I crush grooves.
Wilbur
« Reply #17 on: August 04, 2009, 10:10:52 am »

Wilbur:

I was taught in Drivers Ed some moons ago to ENTER an intersection before turning left.  You intend to turn left, light turns green, enter the intersection, wait for traffic to clear - turn left.  In such a way you are able to complete a left turn much more quickly than if you were sitting 20 feet back. If you enter the intersection and the light turns yellow, oncoming traffic then stops and you complete your turn.

In this scenario I could end up in the intersection on a red light as I clear the intersection.  Will I get a ticket for this?  If so, what is the proper course of action?

No.  There is language that allows ONE CAR to enter the intersection "in preparation for a left turn" and is allowed to complete their turn even if the light turns red before they leave the intersection.

This is usually where the green light violation comes in.  Some one is sitting in the intersection in preparation for a left turn.  Their light turns red and they get nailed by some dude who just got a green light and floors the gas, hitting the guy who was already legally in the intersection.  The guy could be cited for a green light violation.  Very rare, but I've seen it done a couple times.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org