A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 07:55:55 pm
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What's Martinson's Deal?  (Read 10778 times)
ryhmeswithelection
« on: July 18, 2009, 04:33:16 pm »

Ike's Chili owner Chris Trail says he moved into the district in plenty of time. Looks like Bill Martinson's campaign manager, Jim Burdge, is up to his old tricks.
Breadburner
City Father

« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2009, 04:54:27 pm »

swake
T-Town Elder

« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2009, 05:20:56 pm »

Gotta love those first time posters during election season
kylieosu
Civic Leader

« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2009, 05:36:56 pm »

I believe it should be RHYMES.
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2009, 06:51:35 pm »

Ike's Chili owner Chris Trail says he moved into the district in plenty of time. Looks like Bill Martinson's campaign manager, Jim Burdge, is up to his old tricks.

Care to fill us in.  Some of us don't read through the Tulsa Whirled every day.  Should have figured Martinson would associate w/ Burdge.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
Limabean
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2009, 06:58:03 pm »

Give the first time poster a break.

Don't you remember when Burdge did the same thing to Maria Barnes?

Chris Trail is a nice guy who will run a nice campaign. Unfortunately, I can't say the same thing for Martinson and Burdge.

Burdge is also Eric Gomez's campaign manager. Watch your back, Maria. It's politics as usual.
pmcalk
City Mother
City Father

« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2009, 08:18:23 pm »

FYI,

http://www.tulsaworld.com/news/article.aspx?subjectid=11&articleid=20090718_11_A13_Republ714013

Basically, Martinson claims that Trail didn't meet the 90 day requirement for filing in the district.

MichaelBates
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2009, 11:12:13 pm »

If Trail didn't meet the residency requirement then he has no business on the ballot. Who Martinson's campaign manager is has no bearing on the issue.

I didn't support Martinson in his first or second run for office, but he has displayed impressive analytical skills and political gumption, and Tulsa is well served by his presence on the City Council. I hope he wins re-election.

MichaelBates
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2009, 11:17:16 pm »

From the petition:

Mr. Trail falsely signed and swore in his oath of the eligibility to become a registered voter that his current residence was 10611 East 20th St., Tulsa, Ok 74128 when in fact it was still 7306 W 35th St, Tulsa, Ok which is outside the City Limits of Tulsa. State law requires an individual provide the location of his current residence, and that he can only become a registered voter in the precinct of his current residence. Since he did not reside in district 5 (or even have a contract or agreement that he would have a place where he could reside in district 5), he was ineligible to register to vote in district 5 on March 30, 2009.
Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

I might be moving to Anguilla soon...

« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2009, 12:08:56 am »

If Trail didn't meet the residency requirement then he has no business on the ballot. Who Martinson's campaign manager is has no bearing on the issue.

I didn't support Martinson in his first or second run for office, but he has displayed impressive analytical skills and political gumption, and Tulsa is well served by his presence on the City Council. I hope he wins re-election.

Couldn't disagree more.  The two times I've met him (I live in this district) he came across to me as an arrogant doosh.  Kinda like a taller version of Inhofe.

Libertarianism is a system of beliefs for people who think adolescence is the epitome of human achievement.

Global warming isn't real because it was cold today.  Also great news: world famine is over because I just ate - Stephen Colbert.

Somebody find Guido an ambulance to chase...
swake
T-Town Elder

« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2009, 07:19:18 am »

Couldn't disagree more.  The two times I've met him (I live in this district) he came across to me as an arrogant doosh.  Kinda like a taller version of Inhofe.

But then Bates supports Inhofe too. Mr Bates, why don't you disclose who you are working for? Are you on the Martinson "team"?
RecycleMichael
truth teller
T-Town Elder

« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2009, 07:59:09 am »

First of all, I have no dog in this hunt because my democratic party failed to field a candidate in the race and I am friends with both Bill Martinson and Chris Trail...

It is not clear cut on what date establishes "residency". The three person panel will decide it. This has happened in other elections and in other state business, like determining residency for in-state tuition rates for state universities. Residency has been defined as the date when the applicant signed a lease or purchase document, when the applicant put utilities in their name, or even when they took possession of the property. Martinson claims that Trail did not "have a contract for housing" on this date.

My question is, how did Martinson determine when Trail signed a contract? Does he has evidence of his housing contract, or is this just dirty politics played by his unreputable campaign manager?

Power is nothing till you use it.
AngieB
Proud Westsider
City Father

« Reply #12 on: July 19, 2009, 08:03:12 am »

I just find it humorous that the topic starter has a typo in his screen name.
pmcalk
City Mother
City Father

« Reply #13 on: July 19, 2009, 12:06:22 pm »

First of all, I have no dog in this hunt because my democratic party failed to field a candidate in the race and I am friends with both Bill Martinson and Chris Trail...

It is not clear cut on what date establishes "residency". The three person panel will decide it. This has happened in other elections and in other state business, like determining residency for in-state tuition rates for state universities. Residency has been defined as the date when the applicant signed a lease or purchase document, when the applicant put utilities in their name, or even when they took possession of the property. Martinson claims that Trail did not "have a contract for housing" on this date.

My question is, how did Martinson determine when Trail signed a contract? Does he has evidence of his housing contract, or is this just dirty politics played by his unreputable campaign manager?

I don't know that the date he signed a contract on his house is all that important.  There is nothing in state law that requires you to register at your "current" residence (in fact, state law specifically allows you to vote in an election if you intend to move there within a certain amount of time).  State law gives a lot of latitude as to what constitutes someone's residence; it is a question of fact, and where one is currently residing is only one of the facts to consider.  Basically, it is where one intends to remain for an indefinite period of time.  The fact that he now lives there does seem to indicate that he intended for that address to be his residence.

According to Moore v. Hayes:

One's place of present abode is only one of the factors which may be considered, but it cannot be regarded as conclusive. . . . Other factors which have been recognized as persuasive in determining intent are the holding of local office, the exercise of the right to vote in local elections, business and domestic relations, community activities, personal habits, and other objective facts ordinarily manifesting the existence of intent.

http://www.oscn.net/applications/oscn/DeliverDocument.asp?CiteID=62685 (from Attorney General's opinion)

MichaelBates
« Reply #14 on: July 19, 2009, 03:16:07 pm »

swake, I have candidates I like and will endorse, but I'm not on anyone's "team" for any race in this election. I don't believe I've spoken to Martinson since the Republican county convention in April.

We need people on the City Council who can independently analyze information and then raise questions when something doesn't add up -- not just take the word of the Mayor's people for everything. Some people would prefer that the Council be operated by remote control from the Mayor's office, so of course they'd rather Martinson go away. Martinson asked some questions that Kathy Taylor didn't want to answer, and for some folks on this board, that's a hanging offense.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org