A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 06:31:13 am
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Nine Dead  (Read 7678 times)
Cherish
« Reply #15 on: June 28, 2009, 07:53:44 pm »

When it comes to certain industries, standardized testing should happen at certain intervals.  As the pilot said he has tests, why not truck drivers, tow drivers, anyone with a commercial license should be tested as pilots are which should INCLUDE physical examinations at ANY age with a more involved physical after a certain age.  The military requires physicals done and when you reach a certain age you have a more INVOLVED physical which includes a cardio stress test.  I don't hear any older sergeants or officers complain about this test, would it be age discrimination to get a more involved test at an older age?  I mean I'm 26 should I sue the government because they claim females over 40 should get mammograms, is that age discrimination?  Come on, this is a truck driver we are talking about.  He is in an industry that should have more regular driving tests and physicals.  They do DOT standard drug test for this industry but not a more rigorous physical and driving test?Huh
« Last Edit: June 28, 2009, 07:56:23 pm by Cherish » Logged
Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

I might be moving to Anguilla soon...

« Reply #16 on: June 28, 2009, 09:20:16 pm »

When it comes to certain industries, standardized testing should happen at certain intervals.  As the pilot said he has tests, why not truck drivers, tow drivers, anyone with a commercial license should be tested as pilots are which should INCLUDE physical examinations at ANY age with a more involved physical after a certain age.  The military requires physicals done and when you reach a certain age you have a more INVOLVED physical which includes a cardio stress test.  I don't hear any older sergeants or officers complain about this test, would it be age discrimination to get a more involved test at an older age?  I mean I'm 26 should I sue the government because they claim females over 40 should get mammograms, is that age discrimination?  Come on, this is a truck driver we are talking about.  He is in an industry that should have more regular driving tests and physicals.  They do DOT standard drug test for this industry but not a more rigorous physical and driving test?Huh

If this guy had a CDL he would be required to have a physical once a year as part of the conditions of his remaining as a CDL AND as a DOT requirement, IIRC.

Libertarianism is a system of beliefs for people who think adolescence is the epitome of human achievement.

Global warming isn't real because it was cold today.  Also great news: world famine is over because I just ate - Stephen Colbert.

Somebody find Guido an ambulance to chase...
Cherish
« Reply #17 on: June 29, 2009, 02:59:46 am »

If this guy had a CDL he would be required to have a physical once a year as part of the conditions of his remaining as a CDL AND as a DOT requirement, IIRC.

Or is it every 2 years?  Is it in depth or bend over and cough physical with a blood test LOL.
Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #18 on: June 29, 2009, 07:25:03 am »

When it comes to certain industries, standardized testing should happen at certain intervals.  As the pilot said he has tests, why not truck drivers, tow drivers, anyone with a commercial license should be tested as pilots are which should INCLUDE physical examinations at ANY age with a more involved physical after a certain age. 

Private pilots (my rating) are not allowed to charge for flying, only share expenses.  It is the approximate equivalent of a drivers license for a car.  To impose the private pilot requirements on car drivers would be to have every driver ride with a certified driving instructor every two years.  This would be you, the kid down the street, the Little Old Lady From Pasadena, ......

Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

I might be moving to Anguilla soon...

« Reply #19 on: June 29, 2009, 08:31:19 am »

Private pilots (my rating) are not allowed to charge for flying, only share expenses.  It is the approximate equivalent of a drivers license for a car.  To impose the private pilot requirements on car drivers would be to have every driver ride with a certified driving instructor every two years.  This would be you, the kid down the street, the Little Old Lady From Pasadena, ......

It would also require recertification every six months to fly at night, if memory serves me correctly.  Or at least to fly once every six months at night and do full stop landings as well as touch/go and low approach.  You can tell it's been a while for me anyway.

Libertarianism is a system of beliefs for people who think adolescence is the epitome of human achievement.

Global warming isn't real because it was cold today.  Also great news: world famine is over because I just ate - Stephen Colbert.

Somebody find Guido an ambulance to chase...
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #20 on: June 29, 2009, 09:10:34 am »

It would also require recertification every six months to fly at night, if memory serves me correctly.  Or at least to fly once every six months at night and do full stop landings as well as touch/go and low approach.  You can tell it's been a while for me anyway.

I think it was every 90 days for night currency to carry pax.  I've not flown in over 10 years, I'd like to do a BFR (actually whatever it would take to be "proficient", not "legal or current") and get my medical current maybe next year.  Whole lot of dead "current" pilots out there.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
Cherish
« Reply #21 on: June 29, 2009, 09:31:14 am »

Well I wasn't talking about the average driver.  Only the one's with commercial drivers license. 
Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #22 on: June 29, 2009, 11:20:21 am »

It's a bit off topic but in order to let folks know how much they don't have to do to keep their driver's license current...
Pilot Currency includes:
3 take-offs and landings within the preceeding 90 days to carry passengers. If carrying passengers at night, the 3 take-offs and landings must have been at night to a full stop. Touch and goes are allowed for day in tricycle gear (one wheel in front, two main gear wheels behind) but not for taildraggers (two wheels in front and one under the tail). The take-offs and landings must be in the same kind (Category & Class) airplane, ie. single engine, multi engine, land plane, sea plane and a few other options.

To fly in instrument conditions, assuming you already have an instrument rating:
6 instrument approaches, a hold, and an intercept to a VOR (electronic navigation) within the preceeding 6 months will make you legal but probably not proficient.  After 6 months, you may practice in simulated instrument conditions by wearing a hood to restrict your vision to inside the airplane with a safety pilot.  After a year you must fly with a Certified Flight Instructor with an Instrument add-on (CFII) to get an Instrument Proficiency sign-off.

You must have a current Biennial Flight Review (BFR) that I mentioned earlier in the thread.

If the FAA requires a medical certificate for the aircraft you want to fly, you must have a current medical certificate.

There are a ton of more rules for aircraft pilots that would probably keep most people from driving (legally) if they had equivalent rules for driving the family car.

Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #23 on: June 29, 2009, 11:26:00 am »

Back on topic, sadly, a tenth victim died yesterday in a Joplin hospital.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
Kashmir
Civic Leader

"My name is Talking Tina and I think I hate you"

« Reply #24 on: June 29, 2009, 12:56:48 pm »

Absolutely horrific that the woman who just passed may have lived only to wake up to the news that her family was dead.

I don't know what's better to hope for...that the driver's brakes failed (prob not) or that the rig was  great shape, but driver inattentive.  So scary...my parents used to drive that turnpike weekly.

More in depth:
http://www.joplinglobe.com/local/local_story_179224309.html

Now I want to cry for that poor little girl airlifted to KC who lost BOTH parents.   Cry
« Last Edit: June 29, 2009, 01:03:32 pm by Kashmir » Logged
patric
T-Town Elder

These Aren't the Droids You're Looking For

« Reply #25 on: July 17, 2009, 09:00:05 am »

Failing to stop with a clear distance ahead (rear-ending the dude in front of you) is considered a speeding violation.  Sorry.  But your state representatives and your city council put it there, not the police.

I think we both know that much "public safety" language is either drafted by police unions or at their "urging".
As for OHP's speeding claim;

OKLAHOMA CITY — The truck driver involved in a June 26 accident on the Will Rogers Turnpike that left 10 people dead had his cruise control set at 71 mph in a 75 mph speed zone, the Oklahoma Turnpike Authority was told Wednesday.

http://www.tulsaworld.com/news/article.aspx?subjectid=11&articleid=20090716_16_A1_OKLAHO472846

"Tulsa will lay off police and firemen before we will cut back on unnecessarily wasteful streetlights."  -- March 18, 2009 TulsaNow Forum
Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #26 on: July 17, 2009, 11:30:20 am »

I believe that "too fast for conditions" is used by many states.  Oklahoma?  If you hit something in front of you, you were going too fast for conditions regardless of your speed.  The condition(s) being someone stopped or too slow in front of you.

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org