A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 09:21:27 pm
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: is there a good Cuban sandwich in tulsa?  (Read 8031 times)
mobboss
Activist

« on: July 08, 2009, 06:22:15 pm »

sort of been wanting one all week,,good pulled pork and some grilled ham. mmmmmmm

what spots in tulsa are making a good version?

zach

Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2009, 06:40:47 pm »

Whew!  I thought maybe we had a cannibal on our hands. Cheesy

joiei
City Father

« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2009, 06:46:34 pm »

I have never found a passable Cuban sandwich in Tulsa.  I lived in Tampa in the late 60s and early 70s and was spoiled for decent Cuban sandwiches and Spanish Bean Soup.  The Silver Ring was the best at that time. 

The first thing wrong with all Tulsa versions is they are not Pressed.  And I won't go into the bread issue.   But I will not give up hope, maybe one day a decent Tampa style Cuban will be found in Tulsa. 

It's hard being a Diamond in a rhinestone world.
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2009, 06:52:44 pm »

Best I've had in Tulsa (that's relative, as joiei alluded to) is at Caz's.  It's huge, you get a lunch and dinner out of one.  Best I ever had was probably in Ft. Lauderdale.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
RecycleMichael
truth teller
T-Town Elder

« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2009, 07:42:32 pm »

I am in Florida this week and looking for Cuban sandwiches everywhere. I loves dem.

Caz's is OK. Joe Momma's is OK. They just don't have the Cuban bread.

Power is nothing till you use it.
mobboss
Activist

« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2009, 08:19:11 pm »

a lot of the mexican bakeries here in town re making the 'Bollilos" bread that i think is the closest vesion to cuban loaves...and the press, when i was in cuba last year they were using a brick wrapped in alum foil and cooking it on a flat grill- not rocket science, thanks for the tips ill try the places mentioned so far.

zach

Miss Solemnis
Citizen

« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2009, 07:26:10 pm »

I am in Florida this week and looking for Cuban sandwiches everywhere. I loves dem.

Caz's is OK. Joe Momma's is OK. They just don't have the Cuban bread.

Where in FL?  We lived in Ft. Lauderdale for a while until returning to Tulsa last year and in Ft. Lauderdale the best are at Sury's, just off the intersection of Andrews and Sunrise at 925 N. Andrews.  Just know that the building doesn't actually say "Sury's" on it anywhere - you'll see only something like "Cuban Sandwiches and Havana Lunch."  Great stuff. 

guido911
T-Town Elder

« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2009, 07:34:54 pm »

Whew!  I thought maybe we had a cannibal on our hands. Cheesy

That was freakin funny right there.

Someone get Hoss a pacifier.
swake
T-Town Elder

« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2009, 07:47:26 pm »

I will tell you where it is NOT, McAlester's is serving one, and it's far from medicore. I do like caz's.

RecycleMichael
truth teller
T-Town Elder

« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2009, 07:49:21 pm »

Where in FL? 

This week was Sarasota, Siesta Beach, Caspesen Beach and Venice Beach. We leave tomorrow to see the mouse in Orlando.

So far I have grilled Tilapia, Grouper, Mahi Mahi and many, many shrimp.

midtownnewbie
Activist

« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2009, 12:49:37 pm »

Sonoma on Brookside has an excellent Cuban.  BTW, I'm used to good cuban food as I also moved here from Florida.

Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2009, 12:51:06 pm »

Sonoma on Brookside has an excellent Cuban.  BTW, I'm used to good cuban food as I also moved here from Florida.

I've been happy w/ their pizza, will have to give the ol' Cubano a try.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
orion
« Reply #12 on: October 10, 2009, 03:18:59 pm »

may want to try ella's over by 11/harvard..they use a really good pan de aqua..and owners do up their own pulled pork and some excellent ham..not an expert but lived in puerto rico and florida through the years and it put it right up there
RecycleMichael
truth teller
T-Town Elder

« Reply #13 on: October 10, 2009, 04:42:12 pm »

Thanks for the tip...

I will try it this week.

Bumby
Activist

« Reply #14 on: October 12, 2009, 05:30:57 pm »

Jorge Aisa used to put out a good Cuban sandwich at his long closed George's Grill.  I heard a few years ago he was cooking at Doe's Eat Place and had the sandwich on the lunch menu.  Might be worth a phone call.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org