A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 07:02:59 am
Pages: 1 ... 25 26 [27] 28   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: New I-244 Bridge  (Read 186468 times)
carltonplace
Historic Artifact
City Father

« Reply #390 on: September 18, 2014, 06:49:31 am »

Can't Dewey outsource these ribbon cutting events like he does everything else?
saintnicster
« Reply #391 on: September 18, 2014, 08:11:53 am »

So.......the new bridge is "technically" open.   But it's still the same 2 lanes in all directions.   Any idea when we get our actual highway back?   Saw them moving around more barriers tonight on the way out of downtown, but it's basically gridlock during peak times.  #freethethirdlane
They say "Spring 2015" as the full completion date of the project on most of the articles I've seen.  Also, from the last article posted, it said this -
Some lane and ramp closures could remain for several weeks as the last of the sign work is completed and traffic is shifted.

New bridge is fully open, along with the US64 eastbound ramp and 7th Street/Downtown ramps (when coming from the South).  It'll take some time to open up the rest of the lanes, [especially when you only work some 5 or 6 hours a day, 4-5 days a week.  That's also when it's completely sunny outside.(only being semi facetious with the last two statements)]

The motto?  Oklahoma Department of Transportation/Manhattan Bridge and Road - Inconveniencing as many people for as long as possible.
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #392 on: September 18, 2014, 08:49:01 am »

This is symptomatic (part of it operating and calling it "open") of the nationwide problem with roads - the turnpike to OKC has just been fully opened up again in the last couple weeks - it was done in stages to get people used to driving through without multiple parking events.  Still a very mediocre road; woefully inadequate for the traffic it is expected to handle.

IF we are going to continue to depend on the personal auto and large trucks as the primary means of transportation in this country - continuing to stifle all manner of rail as personal transportation - then we should at least have the intellectual honesty as a society to go all in and fix the road grids.  Highways/roads from Interstates to state to local are a disgrace and catastrophically inadequate to the traffic needs we now impose on them.  Just looking at the interstates for now - each and every one, ESPECIALLY in Oklahoma - is in such an advanced state of disrepair as to be a traffic hazard in it's own right.

From bridge conditions, to median traffic separation methods (cables??  Really...Huh), to lane count.  We have spent the time since the 50's, 60's, and 70's patting ourselves on the back, telling ourselves "We're Number 1" and have totally lost sight of the big picture - we have let too many other countries go sailing past us on too many fronts!  Anyone who has driven more than about 38 feet outside of their neighborhood has experienced the joy of inadequate infrastructure.  And the interstate system - well the overcrowding/excess traffic and decay of the roads is appalling and flat out dangerous!

IF we are going to continue down "automobile-lane", then the interstates should already have been on an upgrade program to make the minimum standard 3 lanes across the board.  With either wider medians or barriers - better separation between directions.  As beginning point, we should ask the question;  WWGD?  What Would Germany Do?  Since we copied their idea for interstates to begin with, that would be a good start to return for ideas.

Make the pavement 24" - maybe more depending on truck traffic we are going to allow - of good concrete versus ANY pavement of assfault.  BUILD the road - don't slobber some gravel and oil on the ground just to get by cheap for a while.

Adopt any and all European traffic control ideas that we don't already do.

Or do what the rest of the 'civilized', 'modern' world has started doing - better ways to move both people and goods that allow the possibility of disassociation with "one car/one rider".  Not to mention massive increases in efficiency and better use of available resources.  One gallon, one ton, 450 miles.

Short sidetrack - just because;
And for those who decry illegal immigration on the one hand, and then use that as the excuse for inaction, mouthing platitudes about how great we are because "everyone wants to come here...".   Well, blah blah blah blah blah.  Oh,...and did I mention 'blah'??  If other countries were as convenient as a walk, they would (and are in actuality) go there.   And how do they explain the "mass exodus" of people renouncing their citizenship??

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
Ibanez
City Father

« Reply #393 on: September 18, 2014, 09:39:36 am »

This is symptomatic (part of it operating and calling it "open") of the nationwide problem with roads - the turnpike to OKC has just been fully opened up again in the last couple weeks - it was done in stages to get people used to driving through without multiple parking events.  Still a very mediocre road; woefully inadequate for the traffic it is expected to handle.

IF we are going to continue to depend on the personal auto and large trucks as the primary means of transportation in this country - continuing to stifle all manner of rail as personal transportation - then we should at least have the intellectual honesty as a society to go all in and fix the road grids.  Highways/roads from Interstates to state to local are a disgrace and catastrophically inadequate to the traffic needs we now impose on them.  Just looking at the interstates for now - each and every one, ESPECIALLY in Oklahoma - is in such an advanced state of disrepair as to be a traffic hazard in it's own right.

From bridge conditions, to median traffic separation methods (cables??  Really...Huh), to lane count.  We have spent the time since the 50's, 60's, and 70's patting ourselves on the back, telling ourselves "We're Number 1" and have totally lost sight of the big picture - we have let too many other countries go sailing past us on too many fronts!  Anyone who has driven more than about 38 feet outside of their neighborhood has experienced the joy of inadequate infrastructure.  And the interstate system - well the overcrowding/excess traffic and decay of the roads is appalling and flat out dangerous!

IF we are going to continue down "automobile-lane", then the interstates should already have been on an upgrade program to make the minimum standard 3 lanes across the board.  With either wider medians or barriers - better separation between directions.  As beginning point, we should ask the question;  WWGD?  What Would Germany Do?  Since we copied their idea for interstates to begin with, that would be a good start to return for ideas.

Make the pavement 24" - maybe more depending on truck traffic we are going to allow - of good concrete versus ANY pavement of assfault.  BUILD the road - don't slobber some gravel and oil on the ground just to get by cheap for a while.

Adopt any and all European traffic control ideas that we don't already do.

Or do what the rest of the 'civilized', 'modern' world has started doing - better ways to move both people and goods that allow the possibility of disassociation with "one car/one rider".  Not to mention massive increases in efficiency and better use of available resources.  One gallon, one ton, 450 miles.

Short sidetrack - just because;
And for those who decry illegal immigration on the one hand, and then use that as the excuse for inaction, mouthing platitudes about how great we are because "everyone wants to come here...".   Well, blah blah blah blah blah.  Oh,...and did I mention 'blah'??  If other countries were as convenient as a walk, they would (and are in actuality) go there.   And how do they explain the "mass exodus" of people renouncing their citizenship??

I returned from a cross country trip two weeks ago. Drove from here to Virginia Beach, up to NYC, up through Boston, into Maine, across Maine into New Brunswick, Halifax Nova Scotia, then back through Quebec City, Montreal, Toronto, through Niagara Falls, down through Ohio, through Indiana, Missouri and back home. During that entire trip the roads were good from the time we left Oklahoma until we returned back to this state. The only poor roads we ran into was I-70 East of Indianapolis and that waswas being repaired. Even the county roads in backwoods nowhere Maine were better than our highways here.

I think the problem in Oklahoma with our roads is a deadly combination of cronyism and poor construction standards/methods.
carltonplace
Historic Artifact
City Father

« Reply #394 on: September 18, 2014, 11:02:20 am »

They say "Spring 2015" as the full completion date of the project on most of the articles I've seen.  Also, from the last article posted, it said this -
New bridge is fully open, along with the US64 eastbound ramp and 7th Street/Downtown ramps (when coming from the South).  It'll take some time to open up the rest of the lanes, [especially when you only work some 5 or 6 hours a day, 4-5 days a week.  That's also when it's completely sunny outside.(only being semi facetious with the last two statements)]

The motto?  Oklahoma Department of Transportation/Manhattan Bridge and Road - Inconveniencing as many people for as long as possible.

It's just the pedestrian element that will not be completed until Spring 2015. The rest basically done except eliminating the reroutes on 75 and 51.
Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #395 on: September 18, 2014, 11:19:53 am »

I think the problem in Oklahoma with our roads is a deadly combination of cronyism and poor construction standards/methods.

When "you" have substandard specs, "you" get substandard products.

TeeDub
« Reply #396 on: September 18, 2014, 01:00:26 pm »

When you allow grossly overweight trucks to drive on the highways, they cause damage.    When was the last time you saw a weigh station open?   Right, as soon as you crossed the border OUT of Oklahoma.
Ibanez
City Father

« Reply #397 on: September 18, 2014, 01:14:01 pm »

When you allow grossly overweight trucks to drive on the highways, they cause damage.    When was the last time you saw a weigh station open?   Right, as soon as you crossed the border OUT of Oklahoma.

It is a shame we don't have active weigh stations here. Oklahoma is really the only state I have ever noticed them closed permanently in. Illinois and Indiana are quite the opposite of Oklahoma in that they are downright militant about trucks being weighed. I once happened to be behind a tandem trailer truck as it blew by a weigh station in Indiana. The State Police were not amused....
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #398 on: September 18, 2014, 02:08:03 pm »

I returned from a cross country trip two weeks ago. Drove from here to Virginia Beach, up to NYC, up through Boston, into Maine, across Maine into New Brunswick, Halifax Nova Scotia, then back through Quebec City, Montreal, Toronto, through Niagara Falls, down through Ohio, through Indiana, Missouri and back home. During that entire trip the roads were good from the time we left Oklahoma until we returned back to this state. The only poor roads we ran into was I-70 East of Indianapolis and that waswas being repaired. Even the county roads in backwoods nowhere Maine were better than our highways here.

Maine has some fantastic 2 lane roads, too.

I-40 east through Arkansas has a lot of construction going on.  Nashville has just cleared up a lot of their I-40 work since May - went through then and a couple weeks ago.  A certain amount of that good versus poor is in relation to how poor OK really is....the others have issues, but they almost pale in comparison to OK.

You don't mention the traffic - the OTHER part of the overall problem.  Can't speak to every one, but the ones I travel on a fairly regular basis are insanity cubed for traffic.  I's; 40, 30, 20, 10, 70, 75, 35, 39, 94, 64, 49, 25, 17, and 15.  80 and 90 usually are reasonable but sometimes trucks get piled up with a bunch of cars and slows everything down.  Plus city loop versions.  The only one that is not stupidly overburdened I have been on lately is 840 around Nashville - and it is busier every time I get through there.

Did you get the thrill of I-95 N going east across the bridge (GW)?   Don't ya just love the way the trucks have scraped/gouged chunks out of the ceiling where it crosses Manhattan?  The footings of the buildings above you....

« Last Edit: September 18, 2014, 02:10:15 pm by heironymouspasparagus » Logged

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
Ibanez
City Father

« Reply #399 on: September 18, 2014, 02:25:53 pm »

No, we actually crossed into Manhattan from Hoboken. 78 I believe.

We had gone to Gettysburg and then North from there through Allentown, cause the wife wanted to go through there to see what Billy Joel was singing about.

I really didn't notice 40 being that bad. There were a couple of spots between Little Rock and Memphis where work was going on, but nothing terrible. Traffic wasn't bad at all, there had been an accident East of Knoxville that slowed things down a bit. The worst traffic on the whole trip, Manhattan included, was in Toronto. Good lord that place has traffic issues!
saintnicster
« Reply #400 on: September 29, 2014, 08:07:06 am »

As of this weekend, all of the main exits on the IDL are operational again.  There's still some closed/detour signage up (as of Sunday), but you can drive through.

Now to hoping that people remember how to actually navigate the Northwest Corner of the IDL, going westbound on 244.
Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

I might be moving to Anguilla soon...

« Reply #401 on: September 29, 2014, 08:10:17 am »

As of this weekend, all of the main exits on the IDL are operational again.  There's still some closed/detour signage up (as of Sunday), but you can drive through.

Now to hoping that people remember how to actually navigate the Northwest Corner of the IDL, going westbound on 244.

If people would pay attention to the painted placards on the roadway, it wouldn't be so damned difficult.

Libertarianism is a system of beliefs for people who think adolescence is the epitome of human achievement.

Global warming isn't real because it was cold today.  Also great news: world famine is over because I just ate - Stephen Colbert.

Somebody find Guido an ambulance to chase...
carltonplace
Historic Artifact
City Father

« Reply #402 on: September 29, 2014, 08:44:33 am »

It's too bad that we didnt take the opportunity to fix the US75 to I244 interchange at 1st St while we were "re-habbing" the IDL. In all directions there is insufficent merge lane length, the interchange is not intuitive and there are consistant backups especially US75 South to I244 westbound
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #403 on: September 29, 2014, 09:38:12 am »

If people would pay attention to the painted placards on the roadway, it wouldn't be so damned difficult.

That’s difficult to do when talking on the phone, drinking coffee, and adjusting makeup.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
saintnicster
« Reply #404 on: September 29, 2014, 09:40:58 am »

When I was driving home, it seemed more of a shell shock type of thing.

OH GOD, WHERE ARE THE CONES?! THEY TOLD ME WHERE TO GO! *merges lanes without checking blind spots*

YOU MEAN I CAN STILL GO 65 ON THIS TURN? WHEEEEEEEEEE
Pages: 1 ... 25 26 [27] 28   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org