A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 07:12:04 pm
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Which Democrat should run for Mayor?  (Read 15278 times)
Wilbur
« Reply #15 on: June 07, 2009, 06:39:31 am »

ANY Democrat ior Independent who runs will receive my vote and unqualified support over any Republican.  I have not abandoned that rule at all. Yet.

WOW!  That is amazing.  Sad, but amazing.

QUALIFICATIONS BE DAMNED!
rwarn17588
« Reply #16 on: June 07, 2009, 10:07:11 am »

Roscoe?  Just kidding?

As a City Councilor he looked out for his constituents.

He can be a nice guy...but Mayor? 

I agree. I liked Roscoe at one time. But at some point in the past few years, he turned from a constituent advocate into an old crank. Especially the "old" part. He's going to be 80 pretty soon.

It seemed like he was complaining about everything and offering no solutions. I think the constant bitching was why he was tossed out of office. There was a sense that his time had passed.

Unless he's had a change of heart since that time, he's not mayor material.
ILUVTulsa
Activist

« Reply #17 on: June 07, 2009, 10:47:26 am »

I agree. I liked Roscoe at one time. But at some point in the past few years, he turned from a constituent advocate into an old crank. Especially the "old" part. He's going to be 80 pretty soon.

It seemed like he was complaining about everything and offering no solutions. I think the constant bitching was why he was tossed out of office. There was a sense that his time had passed.

Unless he's had a change of heart since that time, he's not mayor material.

FOTD
« Reply #18 on: June 07, 2009, 11:10:50 am »

Actually, this devil is hoping no democrat runs leaving the door open for a right wingnut ultra conservative to further support the rest the country's perception of how backwards we are in Oklahoma.

* dems.jpg (10.73 KB - downloaded 486 times.)
waterboy
« Reply #19 on: June 07, 2009, 12:42:38 pm »

Okay. I like Roscoe because he serves his constituents, he isn't a corporate or a well heeled oily and he is honest. He also is of the opinion that we should change to a city manager/council/mayor form of govt. Seems pretty sharp for late seventies. However, he has no interest in becoming mayor and is of more value to the city as a councilor.

Many good servants of the people have been run away from local politics. I am thinking particularly of one smart, pragmatic, humorous lawyer who would be a good mayor. He once served as councilor, his father was a commissioner. Now working in the insurance industry. Republican of course, but not a nutty 'pub. Left when the party started to tilt.

Any guesses?
FOTD
« Reply #20 on: June 07, 2009, 12:47:31 pm »

(In honor of the French Open....)

* 5d4f.jpg (65.32 KB - downloaded 473 times.)
nathanm
T-Town Elder

« Reply #21 on: June 07, 2009, 01:32:26 pm »

Okay. I like Roscoe because he serves his constituents, he isn't a corporate or a well heeled oily and he is honest. He also is of the opinion that we should change to a city manager/council/mayor form of govt.
When you have city councils as at odds with each other as we do, city managers tend not to do well.

"Labor is prior to and independent of capital. Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if labor had not first existed. Labor is the superior of capital, and deserves much the higher consideration" --Abraham Lincoln
patric
T-Town Elder

These Aren't the Droids You're Looking For

« Reply #22 on: June 07, 2009, 02:23:13 pm »

What has Gary Watts been doing of late?

"Tulsa will lay off police and firemen before we will cut back on unnecessarily wasteful streetlights."  -- March 18, 2009 TulsaNow Forum
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #23 on: June 08, 2009, 08:42:59 am »

I don't see why Karen Keith would run for it, she's only been seated on the county commission for 1/2 a year or so.  Roscoe is a nice guy, great citizen, and I consider him a friend.  Mayor material?  No. 

Paging Recyclemichael....

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
brianh
« Reply #24 on: June 08, 2009, 09:09:06 am »

I would like to see Mr. Tay run unchallenged. And failing that, maybe Judge Harris.  Shakedown.
carltonplace
Historic Artifact
City Father

« Reply #25 on: June 08, 2009, 11:17:30 am »

Okay. I like Roscoe because he serves his constituents, he isn't a corporate or a well heeled oily and he is honest. He also is of the opinion that we should change to a city manager/council/mayor form of govt. Seems pretty sharp for late seventies. However, he has no interest in becoming mayor and is of more value to the city as a councilor.

Many good servants of the people have been run away from local politics. I am thinking particularly of one smart, pragmatic, humorous lawyer who would be a good mayor. He once served as councilor, his father was a commissioner. Now working in the insurance industry. Republican of course, but not a nutty 'pub. Left when the party started to tilt.

Any guesses?

Dewey?
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #26 on: June 08, 2009, 11:21:00 am »

Dewey?

I didn't know he was in the insurance business, I thought he was still looking for and peddling oil.

Maybe you or Townsend should run.  I'd vote that way.  If who I think will emerge as the "leading" Republican does run, no way I'll vote for him.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
carltonplace
Historic Artifact
City Father

« Reply #27 on: June 08, 2009, 11:39:46 am »

Screw that, I have no political aspirations outside of my Neighborhood Association roles. I'm a problem solver and I would hate being required to abide all of the morose negativity the mayor (or any politician) has to deal with.

Three republicans I would vote for: cannonfodder, Conan and Townsend.
Gaspar
T-Town Elder

Connoisseur of fine bacon.

« Reply #28 on: June 08, 2009, 12:11:52 pm »

ANY Democrat ior Independent who runs will receive my vote and unqualified support over any Republican.  I have not abandoned that rule at all. Yet.

I will vote for the best candidate no matter what political label they adopt. 

I will vote based on their experience, qualifications, abilities, and vision. 

Pandering to one party or the other is meaningless, as is blind devotion to any particular political philosophy. 

I want to see a candidate that employs reason and can communicate it using a minimal amount of BS.

When attacked by a mob of clowns, always go for the juggler.
Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #29 on: June 08, 2009, 12:44:52 pm »

Screw that, I have no political aspirations outside of my Neighborhood Association roles. I'm a problem solver and I would hate being required to abide all of the morose negativity the mayor (or any politician) has to deal with.

Three republicans I would vote for: cannonfodder, Conan and Townsend.

Shoooooot, you don't even have to dig up my dirt.  It's all out there and way too much for public office. 

I'd love it for the first two weeks before I was removed.
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org