A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 03:53:17 am
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Alamo Drafthouse Tulsa!  (Read 53217 times)
BierGarten
Activist

« on: May 22, 2009, 07:38:04 am »

I have always thought one would succeed in Tulsa -- Movies, Food and Drinks all in the same place at the same time.  I think most people that have been to an Alamo (or similar place) would agree that it is great for a change of pace and a lot of fun.

Alamo Drafthouse has announced its intentions to build two theaters in Tulsa!

http://www.tulsaworld.com/business/article.aspx?subjectid=32&articleid=20090520_32_E1_Thousa896432&archive=yes

I was surprised to see the article a couple of days ago because I have always read the Oklahoma statutes as to prohibit the sale of alcohol in a "motion picture theater."

Here are the pertinent statutes:

http://www.oscn.net/applications/oscn/deliverdocument.asp?id=78022&hits=

which states:

"No retail license or permit to sell low-point beer shall be issued for any establishment that functions as a motion picture theater. If an establishment, which has functioned for some other purpose, has been licensed to sell such beverages and subsequently is operated as a motion picture theater, the license or permit shall be revoked."

And Subsection V of the following statute:

http://www.oscn.net/applications/OCISWeb/DeliverDocument.asp?CiteID=438617

which states:

"V. A beer and wine license shall authorize the holder thereof: To purchase beer and wine in retail containers from the holder of a wholesaler or Class B wholesaler license or as specifically provided by law and to sell, offer for sale and possess beer and wine for on-premises consumption only; provided, the holder of a beer and wine license issued for an establishment which is also a restaurant may purchase wine produced at wineries in this state directly from an Oklahoma winemaker as provided in Section 3 of Article XXVIII of the Oklahoma Constitution.

Sales and service of beer and wine by holders of beer and wine licenses shall be limited to the licensed premises of the licensee unless the holder of the beer and wine license also obtains a caterer license. A beer and wine license shall only be issued in counties of this state where the sale of alcoholic beverages by the individual drink for on-premises consumption has been authorized. A separate license shall be required for each place of business. No beer and wine license shall be issued for any place of business functioning as a motion picture theater, as defined by Section 506 of this title. No spirits shall be stored, possessed or consumed on the licensed premises of a beer and wine licensee."

I do note that:

"Motion picture theater" means a place where motion pictures are exhibited and to which the general public is admitted, but does not include a place where meals, as defined by this section, are served, if only persons over twenty-one (21) years of age are admitted;

Perhaps that is the wrinkle I have never noticed before; if they don't allow admission to anyone under 21 they can sell alcohol?

That would be shame.  Hopefully they can get around that somehow.

In any event, I am excited they are exploring a Tulsa location or two.  Hopefully they put one downtown or in midtown...

EricP
Civic Leader

« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2009, 08:07:39 am »

I was JUST saying that this idea would be awesome here... I wish I could invest in the franchise!

Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2009, 08:10:58 am »

Vincent Vega would love the concept:

"All right. Well, you can walk into a movie theater in Amsterdam and buy a beer. And I don't mean just like in no paper cup, I'm talking about a glass of beer."

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
kylieosu
Civic Leader

« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2009, 08:15:14 am »

In any event, I am excited they are exploring a Tulsa location or two.  Hopefully they put one downtown or in midtown...

WORD. I was so excited when I saw this in the TW the other day. I always try to catch a flick at Alamo when I'm in Austin....love the random old cheesy music videos they play before the shows start. I think it will be an extremely successful venture here.
cannon_fodder
All around good guy.
T-Town Elder

« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2009, 08:18:51 am »

How awesome would it be if this went in downtown?

It is a DESTINATION.  People go to such a place driving by other theaters to get there.  After the movie they will probably want to go DO something.  Downtown would be perfect.

- - - - - - - - -
I crush grooves.
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2009, 09:12:44 am »

How awesome would it be if this went in downtown?

It is a DESTINATION.  People go to such a place driving by other theaters to get there.  After the movie they will probably want to go DO something.  Downtown would be perfect.

ONLY if they serve Joe Momma's pizza and Marshall's Beer.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
PepePeru
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2009, 09:20:36 am »

2nd & elgin.

2nd & greenwood

jtcrissup
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2009, 09:58:46 am »

"Alamo is seeking a franchisee who is up to the challenge of serving 1,200 meals in the short time before the lights dim and the picture starts, but Martin said he's "very certain" he'll be able to get Alamo up and running in the metro area within two years."

Hoping that someone will step up and do this, preferably in downtown (although the existing theaters are cheaper to get started).  My wife and I considered it when we moved from Austin to Tulsa 3 years ago, but neither of us had any relevant experience and as I recall the up front costs are pretty steep (although it seems like the payout could be as little as 3-4 years if it "takes off").  It would be cool if somehow Circle Cinema could get looped into this deal as one of the two locations...it is very "Alamo-esque", has some name recognition around town already, and is currently working on their second theater at their current location (not to mention Swinney's is no mas, so there is room to grow!).  Could be known as the "Alamo Circle Cinema".  My first vote, though, would have to be downtown somewhere...maybe in those shell buildings on second down the street from Dilly Deli/Temple?  I would LOVE to be a part of this deal...+1 on Joe Momma's pizza and Marshall beer being served as featured foods/drinks. 
« Last Edit: May 22, 2009, 10:35:57 am by jtcrissup » Logged
carltonplace
Historic Artifact
City Father

« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2009, 10:25:59 am »

Wonder if the Nordam property is big enough for this?
sgrizzle
Kung Fu Treachery
T-Town Elder

Inconceivable!

« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2009, 11:25:56 am »

That says you can't get a beer license for a movie theater, what about a full liquor license?
joiei
City Father

« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2009, 11:32:00 am »

Maybe it is time to get a law either adjusted or repealed. 

It's hard being a Diamond in a rhinestone world.
BierGarten
Activist

« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2009, 12:06:36 pm »

That says you can't get a beer license for a movie theater, what about a full liquor license?

Sorry about that.  I left out the third license of the trifecta.  Liquor licenses ("mixed beverage licenses") are restricted in the same way...

http://www.oscn.net/applications/oscn/deliverdocument.asp?id=438617&hits=7817+7816+7815+5567+5566+5565+3288+3287+3286+1092+1091+1090+

"H. A mixed beverage license shall authorize the holder thereof: To purchase alcohol, spirits, beer or wine in retail containers from the holder of a wholesaler or Class B wholesaler license or as specifically provided by law and to sell, offer for sale and possess mixed beverages for on-premises consumption only; provided, the holder of a mixed beverage license issued for an establishment which is also a restaurant may purchase wine produced at wineries in this state directly from an Oklahoma winemaker as provided in Section 3 of Article XXVIII of the Oklahoma Constitution.

Sales and service of mixed beverages by holders of mixed beverage licenses shall be limited to the licensed premises of the licensee unless the holder of the mixed beverage license also obtains a caterer license or a mixed beverage/caterer combination license. A mixed beverage license shall only be issued in counties of this state where the sale of alcoholic beverages by the individual drink for on-premises consumption has been authorized. A separate license shall be required for each place of business. No mixed beverage license shall be issued for any place of business functioning as a motion picture theater, as defined by Section 506 of this title."

Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #12 on: May 22, 2009, 12:41:59 pm »

I'm curious if they could circumvent the beer and/or liquor license issue by using a catering license to serve it.

nathanm
T-Town Elder

« Reply #13 on: May 22, 2009, 12:48:50 pm »

I'm curious if they could circumvent the beer and/or liquor license issue by using a catering license to serve it.
I seem to remember a place in Columbus that does this has a separate bar area that has windows that happen to overlook the theater so you can see the film. Perhaps that could be done in Oklahoma, if it were run as a separate corporate entity.

"Labor is prior to and independent of capital. Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if labor had not first existed. Labor is the superior of capital, and deserves much the higher consideration" --Abraham Lincoln
BierGarten
Activist

« Reply #14 on: May 22, 2009, 01:43:07 pm »

I think if they had a catering license and served the beer/mixed beverage, they would still technically be using the underlying beer/mixed beverage license that allowed them to serve alcohol in the first place...

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org