A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 01, 2024, 04:39:34 pm
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: SC Rules on illegal use of SS Numbers  (Read 5012 times)
Wrinkle
« on: May 04, 2009, 08:55:26 am »

May 4, 10:17 AM EDT

Court rules for immigrant in ID theft case

WASHINGTON (AP) -- The Supreme Court has ruled that an undocumented immigrant who uses a phony Social Security number to get work should not be considered an identity thief unless prosecutors can prove he knew the number belonged to a real person.

The court ruled unanimously Monday in favor of Ignacio Carlos Flores-Figueroa, an undocumented worker from Mexico, who was given an additional two years in prison for aggravated identity theft. He presented his employer with Social Security and alien registration numbers that belonged to other people.

The government argued that prosecutors do not have to offer any proof that a defendant knew the identification belonged to someone else and was not simply made up.

The court, in an opinion written by Justice Stephen Breyer, rejected that argument.

© 2009 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed. Learn more about our Privacy Policy.

===================================================

Seems one no longer has to assume illegal use of any Government-issued Social Security Number is wrong unless the user knows the number was in use.

...what a laugh.

cannon_fodder
All around good guy.
T-Town Elder

« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2009, 09:02:30 am »

Wrinkle, that ruling makes sense if you consider it in the light of a criminal prosecution.  Did the person have the mens rea to commit the crime?  If (s)he didn't know the number belonged to someone else they therefor did not intend to steal anyone's identity. 

I agree that facially the ruling is poor and I think the effect of the ruling will also be poor - but looking at it from the perspective presented to the Court it makes sense. 

- - - - - - - - -
I crush grooves.
rwarn17588
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2009, 09:31:43 am »

The fact it was a unanimous decision by the high court is telling.

That's a pretty split court ideologically. Since all the justices agreed on the basic opinion, it tells me that it was a slam-dunk on constitutional (and legal) grounds.
sauerkraut
City Father

I Conquered The 2013 -2015 Polar Bear Plunge!!

« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2009, 09:36:02 am »

Just about any SS number will belong to someone, even a made-up number. This was a bad ruling, the illegal alien is still using false I.D.

Proud Global  Warming Deiner! Earth Is Getting Colder NOT Warmer!
Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

I might be moving to Anguilla soon...

« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2009, 10:01:56 am »

Just about any SS number will belong to someone, even a made-up number. This was a bad ruling, the illegal alien is still using false I.D.

Once again, you're wrong.  SS Numbers have whole blocks that are invalid.  How do I know?  I work in a industry that HAS to know.  And also, it's not that difficult to look up what blocks are valid and what blocks aren't for those that have internet access.

Don't get me wrong, I think it was a piss-poor ruling, but do some basic internet searching before you speak of things you don't know.

Libertarianism is a system of beliefs for people who think adolescence is the epitome of human achievement.

Global warming isn't real because it was cold today.  Also great news: world famine is over because I just ate - Stephen Colbert.

Somebody find Guido an ambulance to chase...
Wrinkle
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2009, 10:28:15 am »

Wrinkle, that ruling makes sense if you consider it in the light of a criminal prosecution.  Did the person have the mens rea to commit the crime?  If (s)he didn't know the number belonged to someone else they therefor did not intend to steal anyone's identity. 

I agree that facially the ruling is poor and I think the effect of the ruling will also be poor - but looking at it from the perspective presented to the Court it makes sense. 

Oh, I understand the ruling, and the legal implications.

They said one cannot be convicted of "Identity Theft" if they didn't know the number they forged was being used by someone else.

And, I'd support that decision, by itself. What's off here is that use of any SS number not issued to you by the government would need be equally offensive.

If the number were not in use, the crime should be as great, though not necessarily "Identity Theft". Subtle difference.

The intent was not necessarily to steal a particular identity (though, that could be argued, as in a generic 'identity' suitable for employment), it was just as wrong to attempt to seek an identity for the sake of employment illegally.

It's just a question as to what the actual charges are being applied.

Wrinkle
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2009, 10:33:35 am »

I should add that regardless of the numbers' disposition, illegal use of a number already used should carry implications of the 'unintended' consequences of its' use to the actual person issued the number.

Same as drunk driving.

cannon_fodder
All around good guy.
T-Town Elder

« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2009, 02:17:51 pm »

That depends entirely on the definition of the crime the person was accused of.

Drunk driving is a per se offense, no mens rea required.  One must assume the statute is drafted to require an intent.  Hence, the ruling.

I agree with you in principle, I was just pointing out the subtlety to anyone who isn't paying as much attention as you (we) are.

- - - - - - - - -
I crush grooves.
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2009, 02:30:56 pm »

I would think the use of a fictitious SSN, regardless of whether or not that number belongs to someone else, would fall under a fraud law somewhere as it is a clear attempt to defraud the governement and to circumvent other laws regarding immigration.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2009, 06:45:47 pm »

If someone uses your SS number, even only to obtain employment, it will cause an income tax problem for you since your SS number will show more income than you made by yourself. The feds (and then the state) will want tax to be paid on the combination of your actual income PLUS what the person using your number made.  It will be up to you to prove you didn't make the extra $.  Not my personal experience but it is of a friend.

Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2009, 09:07:56 am »

One W-2 is issued to Bill Smith by Oneok and the other is issued to Javier Gomez by some fruit company in California would be pretty obvious, but I get your point.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2009, 11:40:18 am »

One W-2 is issued to Bill Smith by Oneok and the other is issued to Javier Gomez by some fruit company in California would be pretty obvious, but I get your point.

One would think so but it wasn't that easy.  One jurisdiction wouldn't talk to the other, etc. The standard "not our problem" response was used both by location and agency. 

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org