A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 01, 2024, 04:44:28 pm
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: How to Resolve the Deficit, Without the Furloughs  (Read 10202 times)
ILUVTulsa
Activist

« Reply #15 on: May 06, 2009, 10:45:11 am »

Christiansen to Over-Paid Staff: Take a Cut

Top 10 city salaries

1: Public Works Director Charles Hardt: $178,156.80

2: City Physician Phillip Berry: $167,998.56

3: City Attorney Deirdre Dexter: $167,000.16

4: Police Chief Ron Palmer:$165,000

5: Fire Chief Allen LaCroix: $151,158

6: Airports Director Jeff Mulder: $137,775.60

7: Finance Director Mike Kier: $137,775.60

8: Deputy City Attorney Jean Ann Hudson:$135,553.20

9: Chief Technology Officer Ben Stout:$135,199.92

10: Mayoral Chief of Staff Amy Polonchek:$135,000

custosnox
Fly in the Ointment
City Father

« Reply #16 on: May 06, 2009, 10:49:53 am »

Christiansen to Over-Paid Staff: Take a Cut

Top 10 city salaries

1: Public Works Director Charles Hardt: $178,156.80

2: City Physician Phillip Berry: $167,998.56

3: City Attorney Deirdre Dexter: $167,000.16

4: Police Chief Ron Palmer:$165,000

5: Fire Chief Allen LaCroix: $151,158

6: Airports Director Jeff Mulder: $137,775.60

7: Finance Director Mike Kier: $137,775.60

8: Deputy City Attorney Jean Ann Hudson:$135,553.20

9: Chief Technology Officer Ben Stout:$135,199.92

10: Mayoral Chief of Staff Amy Polonchek:$135,000

I look at this list and think "gee, I wish I could make that much".  Then I think about it and realize that what I do doesn't compair to these folks jobs.  They still might be a bit on the high side, what would you recommend they get paid?
TUalum0982
Philanthropist

« Reply #17 on: May 06, 2009, 11:20:21 am »

I look at this list and think "gee, I wish I could make that much".  Then I think about it and realize that what I do doesn't compair to these folks jobs.  They still might be a bit on the high side, what would you recommend they get paid?

they could take a 10% paycut.  By my estimation and quick math that would be roughly $150,799 dollars.  We all have to make sacrifices, not just the people at the bottom of the food chain.

"You cant solve Stupid." 
"I don't do sorry, sorry is for criminals and screw ups."
sgrizzle
Kung Fu Treachery
T-Town Elder

Inconceivable!

« Reply #18 on: May 06, 2009, 11:23:54 am »

I can't imagine too much crying if #1 left..

For directorships, that is pretty normal (if not a little light)
Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #19 on: May 06, 2009, 11:24:52 am »

What does a city Physician do?
sgrizzle
Kung Fu Treachery
T-Town Elder

Inconceivable!

« Reply #20 on: May 06, 2009, 11:27:32 am »

they could take a 10% paycut.  By my estimation and quick math that would be roughly $150,799 dollars.  We all have to make sacrifices, not just the people at the bottom of the food chain.

Christiansen's "great plan" is to cut $10k from 50 people and to get the rest by doing things like layoffs.

The Mayor's plan involves cuts to everyone's salary and "the bottom of the food chain" losing about $1 per day. (Hardt would lose $7.32/day)
sgrizzle
Kung Fu Treachery
T-Town Elder

Inconceivable!

« Reply #21 on: May 06, 2009, 11:28:07 am »

What does a city Physician do?

Deal with worker's compensation, safety, city wellness programs, etc.
brianh
« Reply #22 on: May 06, 2009, 11:54:28 am »

That Tulsaworld article says they even just yesterday hired for a new position, Director of Inter-Governmental Affairs.  That sounds like an expensive position.
DowntownNow
« Reply #23 on: May 06, 2009, 03:14:31 pm »

Hiring a Dir. of Intergovernmental Affairs during a City wide hiring-freeze and budget shortfall is a slap to everyone working in City government.  Don't tell me that those among her highest paid staffers can't take on a lil added responsibility and accomplish the same thing if she'd not willing to cut their salaries. 

A better look should be given to what all these staffers and Company minded executive directors do.  Exactly what does Mike Bunney do for the City as Economic Development Director?  Could this not fall into his pervue?  He was hired from Boeing where he helped select plant sites.  I eas never sure what his background in economic development was, but to date his name has been tied to nothing of substantial development besides beign the mouthpiece for the City on proposed developments, the much balleyhood interest of unseen developers, his connections to TDA affairs and the ballpark.

What is Nancy Seigel doing as Mayor's Counsel if Dexter is the City Attorney?  What is Amy Polencheck doing as Chief of Staff that should be the responsibilty of the Mayor?   What is Susan Neal doing if Dwain Midget and Mike Bunney are tackling the WIN, Grants Administration and City/TDA Staff?
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #24 on: May 06, 2009, 03:25:28 pm »

That Tulsaworld article says they even just yesterday hired for a new position, Director of Inter-Governmental Affairs.  That sounds like an expensive position.

I believe the paper said or estimated $80K, which means probably a net cost to the city of about $100 to 110K.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
Wrinkle
« Reply #25 on: May 06, 2009, 07:32:59 pm »

It dawned on me as I read Easterling's Urban Tulsa article on the city budget today....Tulsan's get another water rate increase, but no mention of all the suburban water rates, many of whom already had rates less than ours.

Seems if the water system is going to pay for itself, then all those drinking from it should get an increase, not just Tulsans.

tnt091605
« Reply #26 on: May 07, 2009, 11:20:43 am »

Hiring a Dir. of Intergovernmental Affairs during a City wide hiring-freeze and budget shortfall is a slap to everyone working in City government.  Don't tell me that those among her highest paid staffers can't take on a lil added responsibility and accomplish the same thing if she'd not willing to cut their salaries. 

A better look should be given to what all these staffers and Company minded executive directors do.  Exactly what does Mike Bunney do for the City as Economic Development Director?  Could this not fall into his pervue?  He was hired from Boeing where he helped select plant sites.  I eas never sure what his background in economic development was, but to date his name has been tied to nothing of substantial development besides beign the mouthpiece for the City on proposed developments, the much balleyhood interest of unseen developers, his connections to TDA affairs and the ballpark.

What is Nancy Seigel doing as Mayor's Counsel if Dexter is the City Attorney?  What is Amy Polencheck doing as Chief of Staff that should be the responsibilty of the Mayor?   What is Susan Neal doing if Dwain Midget and Mike Bunney are tackling the WIN, Grants Administration and City/TDA Staff?

I bet she hired Stuart McCalman because he has national connections.  He worked for U.S. Sen. Jim Inhofe and former U.S. Rep. J.C. Watts. So could it be that she wants a state or federal government position? Is she using Tulsa tax dollars to further her career?
tnt091605
« Reply #27 on: May 07, 2009, 11:24:23 am »

I like how the Mayors office quotes salaries for her employees, $80,000 a year.  I bet that is just the salary. Not the cost to the city.  But when they quote police and firefighters salaries they quote the total amount it cost the city. 
nathanm
T-Town Elder

« Reply #28 on: May 07, 2009, 12:42:35 pm »

I bet she hired Stuart McCalman because he has national connections.  He worked for U.S. Sen. Jim Inhofe and former U.S. Rep. J.C. Watts. So could it be that she wants a state or federal government position? Is she using Tulsa tax dollars to further her career?
Or, you know, she might be trying to get more federal money for the city. It couldn't possibly be the obvious, though.

"Labor is prior to and independent of capital. Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if labor had not first existed. Labor is the superior of capital, and deserves much the higher consideration" --Abraham Lincoln
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org