A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 01:36:26 am
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 3rd & Kenosha (Hodges Bend)  (Read 20602 times)
SXSW
City Father

« on: April 15, 2009, 01:27:41 pm »

I love this little pocket of new urban development along 3rd between Kenosha and Lansing on the east side of downtown.  I've heard it called the 'Bend' before, because of the bend in 3rd, but I noticed on GoogleMaps the area shows up as Hodges Bend.  Anybody know the history behind the name?  There are several older buildings turned into lofts, a few small local businesses, and Tiny Bar (formerly 818).  Hopefully the organic growth of this neighborhood expands to the west closer to downtown.

New development slated to replace the two vacant buildings at the SE corner of 3rd & Kenosha (cool design!):

cannon_fodder
All around good guy.
T-Town Elder

« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2009, 02:18:44 pm »

I can't answer your question, but the Urban Tulsa Weekly did a GREAT write up on the neighborhood not long ago:

http://www.urbantulsa.com/gyrobase/Content?oid=oid%3A26686

- - - - - - - - -
I crush grooves.
mjchamplin
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2009, 03:24:59 pm »

i noticed that on google maps myself. I wonder who Hodges is.

What I love about the East End is that it's an area which has started the road to revitalization completely (to the best of my knowledge) without the help of any government planning or funding. It's just people with vision making the investment and doing the hard work themselves.
Nik
Philanthropist

« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2009, 03:28:53 pm »

God Bless Google: http://www.tulsaokhistory.com/history/perryman_hodges.html

"There were three brothers David, Alvin and Elam Hodge, descendants of the Perrymans, were from another prominent Creek Indian family who were large landholders in the area when Tulsa was new and they also made notable contributions to the development of early Tulsa. At the time of allotments of the Indians' land, the Hodges and Perrymans acquired most of the land adjoining Tulsa on the South and east. But not all of the Indians of early Tulsa who were large landowners lived out their lives in wealth and comfort. "
MichaelBates
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2009, 03:33:22 pm »

Hodge Addition is the legal name of 1st to halfway between 4th St & 4th Pl, Kenosha to halfway between Norfolk and Owasso. The bend refers to 3rd Street's bend from the Tulsa's original townsite (laid out parallel to the Frisco tracks) and strict east-west orientation of Hodge Addition.

Dave Berray, who helped organize a neighborhood association for the area some years ago, advocated for the Hodge's Bend name to differentiate the area from the East End / East Village redevelopment.
FOTD
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2009, 03:36:12 pm »

I can't answer your question, but the Urban Tulsa Weekly did a GREAT write up on the neighborhood not long ago:

http://www.urbantulsa.com/gyrobase/Content?oid=oid%3A26686

That RAG has NEVER had a "GREAT" write up.

Nice copy on Micah....more power to him. Glad he's got a lender.
SXSW
City Father

« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2011, 05:19:59 pm »

Pretty cool setup a local family has in this area at 3rd & Kenosha...check out the blog for more pics:

*I believe this is the building to the right of the proposed lofts in the rendering above.  Not sure of the current status of the lofts...

http://www.fifthfloorup.com/2010/07/club-skib-downtown-2nd-generation.html
« Last Edit: March 31, 2011, 05:22:31 pm by SXSW » Logged

cannon_fodder
All around good guy.
T-Town Elder

« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2011, 06:01:08 pm »

Wow, I'd love to have something like that near downtown!

- - - - - - - - -
I crush grooves.
we vs us
City Father

« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2011, 06:23:29 pm »

Pretty cool setup a local family has in this area at 3rd & Kenosha...check out the blog for more pics:

*I believe this is the building to the right of the proposed lofts in the rendering above.  Not sure of the current status of the lofts...

http://www.fifthfloorup.com/2010/07/club-skib-downtown-2nd-generation.html

Urban awesome. 
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2011, 11:57:06 am »

That's full of WIN!

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
dsjeffries
« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2011, 12:26:50 pm »

I heard Charlie Sheen invented that pool.

You all should check out the rest of the photos. It's gorgeous!
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2011, 12:45:26 pm »

I want to see the inside of the house, is there another gallery with those anywhere?  I just saw the pool and exterior shots.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #12 on: April 01, 2011, 12:49:16 pm »

I want to see the inside of the house, is there another gallery with those anywhere?  I just saw the pool and exterior shots.

Yes.  Poke around the same site.  Pretty interesting inside.

SXSW
City Father

« Reply #13 on: April 01, 2011, 12:50:45 pm »

Yeah it's on the blog.  Makes me wish I had more money and could do something similar.

Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #14 on: April 01, 2011, 12:53:12 pm »

Yeah it's on the blog.  Makes me wish I had more money and could do something similar.

If I had that amount of $, I would probably get a fresh paint job on my airplane and upgrade the instrument panel.  Then probably have a nice chunk left over too.

Grin

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org