A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 05:16:50 pm
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Phone Book Recycling?  (Read 13924 times)
Gaspar
T-Town Elder

Connoisseur of fine bacon.

« Reply #15 on: April 06, 2009, 01:07:09 pm »

Haven't used a phone book in at least 10 years. 
They go directly from my front porch to the bin.  Sometimes my wife pulls out the coupons first, but only if she gets to it before I do.

When attacked by a mob of clowns, always go for the juggler.
Cats Cats Cats
City Father

« Reply #16 on: April 06, 2009, 01:33:52 pm »

Unfortunately, I still let my fingers do the walking through the Yellow Pages occasionally.  Mostly I just need to look up a phone number to call to verify a merchant has what I want in stock before I drive my car there. Sometimes I forget the exact address of places I only go to rarely. (Things like parts to fix the freezer or oven after the power outages last year.) Some of the things I need are available only across town or at least 10 miles away.  I don't have all those numbers memorized. I figure having the Yellow Pages wastes less than me driving all over the place. There have also been some businesses that I found in the Yellow Pages that don't have a web site, or at least none that I could find.  I have found some minor differences in the business listings between the competing Yellow Pages.  One didn't have any listing for a business I knew existed.

I still want a phone book.  I don't want two or three.  I certainly don't want the small one that is difficult to read even with my bi-focals.

http://www.yellowpages.com/

I bet 1 phone book every 4 or 5 years would probably get most people by too.
Cats Cats Cats
City Father

« Reply #17 on: April 06, 2009, 01:34:34 pm »

Haven't used a phone book in at least 10 years. 
They go directly from my front porch to the bin.  Sometimes my wife pulls out the coupons first, but only if she gets to it before I do.

This is my point, what if I just put my trash on your doorstep.  You would probably be pissed off.
Cats Cats Cats
City Father

« Reply #18 on: April 06, 2009, 01:49:13 pm »

I am down yellowbook and yellowpages now..  Yellowbook says they will ask you again in 2 years with a postcard if you still want to get a phone book.
Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #19 on: April 06, 2009, 07:21:28 pm »

http://www.yellowpages.com/

I bet 1 phone book every 4 or 5 years would probably get most people by too.

I would agree with 2 to 3 years but things change enough that I think 4 would be too many. ("We are sorry, that number is no longer in service.")

yellowpages.com: 

By the time my computer boots and connects via the 56K dial-up, I can look up the number in the book, make the call and be on my way.  I know my computer is ancient but I have higher priorities in life than the latest and greatest computer every year and the fastest connection possible at any cost. 

I leave my cell phone in the "off" condition most of the time too.  The need to be connected 24/7 is overrated in my book.  Leave a message on the answering machine on the land line.

joiei
City Father

« Reply #20 on: April 07, 2009, 05:08:55 am »

Besides the phone book from the telephone company, we also get phone books from other companys.  How many yellow pages does Tulsa need in one year.  And the other phone book is terrible. 

It's hard being a Diamond in a rhinestone world.
Gaspar
T-Town Elder

Connoisseur of fine bacon.

« Reply #21 on: April 07, 2009, 05:34:49 am »

Besides the phone book from the telephone company, we also get phone books from other companys.  How many yellow pages does Tulsa need in one year.  And the other phone book is terrible. 

We get 4.  Yellowbook, SWB yellow pages, Jenks whatever pages, and Some South Tulsa directory.

About 20 lbs worth.

When attacked by a mob of clowns, always go for the juggler.
TheArtist
T-Town Elder

« Reply #22 on: April 07, 2009, 07:27:12 am »

Wish ya all would make up your minds. I threw mine away already.

"When you only have two pennies left in the world, buy a loaf of bread with one, and a lily with the other."-Chinese proverb. "Arts a staple. Like bread or wine or a warm coat in winter. Those who think it is a luxury have only a fragment of a mind. Mans spirit grows hungry for art in the same way h
Bumby
Activist

« Reply #23 on: April 07, 2009, 08:48:07 pm »

I doubt the peeps hired to deliver these phone books will pay much attention to a "do not litter" list.  The last one I caught delivering the books didn't understand me at all when I told him I didn't want the books and to not put one on the empty house's porch next door. 

Another time the guy understood I didn't want the book, but left it out on my flower bed like he got paid by the book.
Nick Danger
« Reply #24 on: April 08, 2009, 02:01:58 pm »

I just got another one dropped on my porch this morning. I'm going to have quite a collection to drop off.
Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #25 on: April 08, 2009, 06:41:29 pm »

Wish ya all would make up your minds. I threw mine away already.

Your mind or your phone books?  Cheesy

PonderInc
City Dweller
City Father

« Reply #26 on: April 21, 2009, 02:33:22 pm »

I enjoyed a little pre-emptive action the other day when I intercepted the delivery guy who was getting ready to dump some Metro phone books on my porch.  I told him that I prefered not to receive any, and he shrugged headed on down the road.  Hurray!  That's two more I don't have to haul to the recycling center!

I like the ATT yellow pages, and always keep one in my trunk.  Since I don't have an iPhone, I still use it when I'm out in the car....and need a quick phone number or address.

Plus, should I ever drive to a third world country, I'll have a ready supply of toilet paper...
godboko71
Philanthropist

« Reply #27 on: April 21, 2009, 09:56:12 pm »

I enjoyed a little pre-emptive action the other day when I intercepted the delivery guy who was getting ready to dump some Metro phone books on my porch.  I told him that I prefered not to receive any, and he shrugged headed on down the road.  Hurray!  That's two more I don't have to haul to the recycling center!

I like the ATT yellow pages, and always keep one in my trunk.  Since I don't have an iPhone, I still use it when I'm out in the car....and need a quick phone number or address.

Plus, should I ever drive to a third world country, I'll have a ready supply of toilet paper...

1-800-466-4411

Free 411 incase you do have a cell phone

Thank you,
Robert Town
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org