A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 06:21:06 am
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Bill targets left lane cruisers...  (Read 11056 times)
Ed W
City Father

« Reply #15 on: April 01, 2009, 10:00:05 pm »

...How many people do you see every day pulling stunts that would have landed even a judge's kid in jail 20 years ago?

I readily admit that I don't drive much, but over the winter I had to drive as a result of knee pain.  Bicycling with a bad knee in cold weather only produced more pain.

But I was surprised at the level of mayhem on restricted access roads in the area.  People were driving more like they were playing Gran Turismo with it's video game invulnerability, rather than as if they were piloting a machine capable of doing tremendous damage in an instant.  The two lane rural roads and city surface streets were comparatively calm, but the interstates were chaotic.

Does this mean I'm getting old?  I'm not sure I'm looking forward to being one of those old guys who drives by looking through the steering wheel, complaining all the while about the world going by too fast.

Ed

May you live in interesting times.
Vision 2025
Philanthropist

« Reply #16 on: April 02, 2009, 09:10:33 am »

A few years ago I saw a sports car at a gas station that was memorable.  Across the top of the windshield was a custom glare band with large text on top of the tint.  It was tough to read looking at it but through a mirror is clearly read "idiots drive slow in the fast lane."

Vision 2025 Program Director - know the facts, www.Vision2025.info
nathanm
T-Town Elder

« Reply #17 on: April 02, 2009, 09:13:59 am »

If you even attempt to adjust your speed to fit in a space between cars,
Hard to do when the moron in front of you either drives up the ramp at 35 miles an hour or stops at the end of the ramp.

That said, people often don't move over in traffic when someone is trying to merge onto the BA. If you're not comfortable enough to change into the middle lane when there's nobody next to you, you shouldn't be driving on that road.

"Labor is prior to and independent of capital. Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if labor had not first existed. Labor is the superior of capital, and deserves much the higher consideration" --Abraham Lincoln
Ed W
City Father

« Reply #18 on: April 02, 2009, 11:04:20 am »

A few years ago I saw a sports car at a gas station that was memorable.  Across the top of the windshield was a custom glare band with large text on top of the tint.  It was tough to read looking at it but through a mirror is clearly read "idiots drive slow in the fast lane."

Someone at work has a Beemer with MOVE spelled backwards on his front tag.  It strikes me as more than a little bit arrogant, but then again, BMW stands for "Break My Windows" so maybe he's just being defensive.

Ed

May you live in interesting times.
Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #19 on: April 02, 2009, 10:25:01 pm »

Someone at work has a Beemer with MOVE spelled backwards on his front tag.  It strikes me as more than a little bit arrogant, but then again, BMW stands for "Break My Windows" so maybe he's just being defensive.

I guess I haven't totally bought into the Oklahoma way of life, even after more than 30 years here.  I don't think it's your God given right to screw up traffic flow by your arrogance to drive any speed in any lane and ignore the rights of others to use the road.  ("Your" is used in the generic sense, not you personally Ed W.)

edit: I almost forgot: BMW = Bring More Wampum.  (Although my BMW hasn't been much more than my Buick after the initial price.)
« Last Edit: April 02, 2009, 10:27:24 pm by Red Arrow » Logged

Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #20 on: April 02, 2009, 10:46:03 pm »

Hard to do when the moron in front of you either drives up the ramp at 35 miles an hour or stops at the end of the ramp.

Agreed.  My moving over a lane won't help you.

That said, people often don't move over in traffic when someone is trying to merge onto the BA. If you're not comfortable enough to change into the middle lane when there's nobody next to you, you shouldn't be driving on that road.

I would just as soon have the pokie okies stay as far right as possible.  Someone  pulling into the middle or left lane going 10 to 20 slower than other traffic creates more hazard than good.  With the exception noted above, if you cannot blend into traffic, you shouldn't be driving on that road.

If I see a string of cars entering the TPK,  I'll move over to leave an open lane to merge.  If it's only one or two cars, the entering cars are obliged to blend in.  The tall narrow pedal makes the car go faster.  The short wide one makes it go slower. 

I'm tired of moving over a lane to let someone in and then not being able to move back to the right lane because whoever I let in paces me faster or slower. Either that or traffic fills in behind the car on my right and my options become go really fast (at least 10 over the limit) or create a hazard by slowing so much that the (now string of) traffic can pass on the right.  In the mean time I have someone on my tailpipe.  Then I am the jerk for staying in the faster lane.  I am usually at the speed limit, conditions permitting, but it is not my job to slow down speeders.  That's for the police to do.

nathanm
T-Town Elder

« Reply #21 on: April 04, 2009, 06:15:18 pm »

It sure does help if there's not a moron in front of me and the right lane is jam packed with cars. Otherwise I end up being the idiot who had to stop at the end of the on ramp.

One of the other advantages of driving a beater is that people somehow get the idea that you are either uninsured or have no problem hitting them, so they get out of your way. Between that and being able to summon an inner Bostonian when driving, I usually have few problems on the road, aside from the left lane blockers. People don't often close the gap when I'm changing lanes, for example. They do when I drive nicer cars.

Actually, that behavior is the second most annoying to me. It's dangerous and it discourages people from signaling their lane changes. And promotes aggressive lane changing behavior.

"Labor is prior to and independent of capital. Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if labor had not first existed. Labor is the superior of capital, and deserves much the higher consideration" --Abraham Lincoln
Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #22 on: April 05, 2009, 12:17:52 pm »

It sure does help if there's not a moron in front of me and the right lane is jam packed with cars. Otherwise I end up being the idiot who had to stop at the end of the on ramp.

One of the other advantages of driving a beater is that people somehow get the idea that you are either uninsured or have no problem hitting them, so they get out of your way. Between that and being able to summon an inner Bostonian when driving, I usually have few problems on the road, aside from the left lane blockers. People don't often close the gap when I'm changing lanes, for example. They do when I drive nicer cars.

Actually, that behavior is the second most annoying to me. It's dangerous and it discourages people from signaling their lane changes. And promotes aggressive lane changing behavior.

I occasionally find the right lane packed enough to make it difficult to get in but only rarely if I am close to traffic speed.  A lot of the time the courteous drivers let you on the road only to block the left lane.  I drive the Turnpike (4 lanes, 2 each direction) more than 169 (6 lanes) or the BA (lots of lane variations). The 35 mph moron is a problem, period.  I usually deal with them by actually hanging back just a bit and look for a spot to enter the highway and cross quickly into the next lane and get around the moron. I don't want to get hit from behind going 35 in a 65 zone.  It takes a willingness to watch the gas mileage gage go to single digits for a few seconds.  Don't try it in a mileage master that takes 1/2 mile to get to 40 mph.  Usually a mile or two later the moron passes me by at least 10 mph.

Large (big trucks), beater, old vehicles pretty much have the right of way in that order.  If you are from Boston, Tulsa traffic should be a cakewalk for you. Just don't expect a gap the length of the Arkansas River to merge into.   One of my cousins lived in Boston a while ago.  Traffic was interesting. If you are not too easily intimidated, you can survive. Left lane blockers are the slower courteous drivers leaving the right lane open for merging.  See other discussions regarding 4 vs 6 lane highways.  I must just have bad luck with merging traffic entering slow then rapidly accelerating to match my position and speed when I do pull over to let traffic merge.  There is nothing especially noteworthy about my 98 Buick to make them want to do that. 

Courteous depends on the situation and the eye of the beholder.  If I am going 65 in the left lane of the turnpike and someone in the right lane going 55 changes lanes in front of me to let someone on the TPK with lots of gaps in right lane traffic, I do not consider that to be courteous.  If there is a string of cars entering westbound at Yale and the left lane is clear or nearly so, sure - move over and let them in.  Just hope you don't need to get off at Riverside.  If you do, you will frequently need to pick a lot smaller gap than you would like to get into the right lane to exit.  Been there, done that.   There is almost always a gap between me and the car in front of me big enough to pull into if you observe the laws of physics. (You seem to be technically adept from other postings.)  I will not try to block you.  Please, just don't pull in front of me and then slow down to pokie okie speed.

I don't expect we will agree on this. Each of considers the other to be discourteous.  Hearing your side has been interesting.

nathanm
T-Town Elder

« Reply #23 on: April 05, 2009, 03:22:43 pm »

I usually deal with them by actually hanging back just a bit and look for a spot to enter the highway and cross quickly into the next lane and get around the moron.
Easier said than done on the short, low visibility on ramps on the BA between 15th Street and Sheridan.

Just don't expect a gap the length of the Arkansas River to merge into.
A couple of car lengths is fine. One is sufficient if I'm surrounded by rude people. Cheesy

One of my cousins lived in Boston a while ago.  Traffic was interesting. If you are not too easily intimidated, you can survive.
People there are insane. I try to be sure I have a big car when I'm driving up there. Preferably a Crown Vic, so people presume I'm an officer of the law. Wink

Left lane blockers are the slower courteous drivers leaving the right lane open for merging.
Slow drivers shouldn't drive slow in any but the right lane, however moving over long enough to let someone in shouldn't cause anybody in the left lane much if any inconvenience. I suppose the problem is expecting the timid slow-as-molasses drivers to properly execute a lane change just before the merge and change back within a few seconds.

I think the difference in opinion really comes down to where we drive. When I lived in south Tulsa and drove the Creek regularly, I never had any issues merging. It just doesn't get that congested and the on ramps and associated merging lanes are long. It's a completely different experience on the BA where the ramps are short and the merging lanes are very short to nonexistent and the traffic sometimes gets very congested.

Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #24 on: April 05, 2009, 09:40:12 pm »

Easier said than done on the short, low visibility on ramps on the BA between 15th Street and Sheridan.
A couple of car lengths is fine. One is sufficient if I'm surrounded by rude people. Cheesy

I think the difference in opinion really comes down to where we drive. When I lived in south Tulsa and drove the Creek regularly, I never had any issues merging. It just doesn't get that congested and the on ramps and associated merging lanes are long. It's a completely different experience on the BA where the ramps are short and the merging lanes are very short to nonexistent and the traffic sometimes gets very congested.

I drive the BA about a half dozen times per year. Usually from 169 to Yale to go to the fairgrounds.  I will concede there are some poorly designed ramps on the BA and on I-44.  A lot of the BA is also 6 lanes rather than just 4, allowing drivers to move over a lane without blocking the "fast" lane. I drive the Creek from Memorial to Peoria-Elm weekdays and frequently on the weekends to get to the airport by (not in) Jenks.

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org