A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 10:53:41 pm
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 12th and Denver Grocery store...  (Read 13569 times)
pfox
Civic Leader

« on: March 21, 2009, 09:29:09 am »

Someone in another thread described this store as an "eyesore".  Certainly it is empty currently, but the truth is, the smaller footprint, like this building has, is what many grocers are returning to...the 60-80 thousand sq ft grocery store is just not what I am seeing built around the country.  In fact, I was just in Portland, where the Safeway brand still exists, and many of them are in these "vintage" buildings.  This design has become somewhat of an iconic thing for them, and is part of their branding. They have really knocked out some of these old buildings.  Plus, there are many fans of this mid-century design. Check it out:

"Our uniqueness is overshadowed by our inability to be unique."
T Badd
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2009, 12:56:16 pm »

I love this '60s "Marina" Safeway store. It's great that there's still some under their original name.

http://www.losttulsa.com/2005/06/1960s-era-safeway-this-former-safeway.html

There's some good Safeway history and pics on groceteria too.

http://www.groceteria.com/safeway/1960.html#
« Last Edit: March 21, 2009, 12:58:40 pm by T Badd » Logged
RipTout
Neo-Confederate
Activist

« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2009, 03:09:50 pm »

Great site for a minature golf course.....

Paul is not likely to do much here unless it's a Walgreens or CVS....
Wrinkle
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2009, 09:15:46 am »

These old buildings are one of the only remaining structures I've seen which have those huge laminated wood arches.

Anyone remember the gas station at the SW corner of 61st & Lewis which had the laminated wood beams for the pump canopies? Very nice design. Some years later, when a convenience store chain took it over (not QT), they painted these nice laminated beams. Then, later tore the whole thing down....to build another gas station, replacing the nice wood-beamed canopies with the standard angle iron/corrogated steel type.  What a waste.

Wrinkle
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2009, 09:19:10 am »

btw, this site is being reserved by those who control for the "Grand Central Library" next time they try to pass the bond issue.

Though the library building, I think, is proposed across the street to the east, I think this site is included in the overall design, perhaps as parking. Don't know for sure.

So, the days of this building are numbered, imo.

sgrizzle
Kung Fu Treachery
T-Town Elder

Inconceivable!

« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2009, 09:36:13 am »

btw, this site is being reserved by those who control for the "Grand Central Library" next time they try to pass the bond issue.

Though the library building, I think, is proposed across the street to the east, I think this site is included in the overall design, perhaps as parking. Don't know for sure.

So, the days of this building are numbered, imo.

I'm pretty sure that whole idea is dead. The Library isn't even going to think of a bond issue for 10-15 years and the site was only popular for the family that happens to own that area of downtown, who are willing to donate part of the land but aren't willing to pay to build the library themselves.
Oil Capital
City Father

« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2009, 10:06:31 am »

I'm pretty sure that whole idea is dead. The Library isn't even going to think of a bond issue for 10-15 years and the site was only popular for the family that happens to own that area of downtown, who are willing to donate part of the land but aren't willing to pay to build the library themselves.

Let's hope it's dead.  That location for the central library was a worse planning idea than the location of the BOK Center.

carltonplace
Historic Artifact
City Father

« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2009, 01:05:26 pm »

12th and Denver should be a grocery store again...hundreds of people live in walking distance either in Downtown or in Riverview. Many hundreds more live a short drive or bus ride away. People that work downtown would certainly stop in to grab bakery goods on their way to the office, or a gallon of milk on their way home.
mjchamplin
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2009, 01:32:57 pm »

I'd shop there! Every day I drive by and think that it's time for a grocery store downtown. It seems like the store could be profitable.
Gold
« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2009, 02:27:04 pm »

I used to visit that store and if anything wants to re-locate there, they will need a significantly better business plan to keep decent customers.  The old place was basically a large discount 3.2 beer/ cigarette store that happened to sell some meat and other items that were packaged elsewhere.  It was not a very pleasant place to visit, and I'm one of the ones on here defending downtown Tulsa as a pretty safe place.

If they actually had a deli and some other more pleasant items, I would shop there.  But that old place was really rough and I didn't shed a tear when it closed.  I do hope they put something decent in that location.  It is wasted land at the moment.
kylieosu
Civic Leader

« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2009, 02:40:36 pm »

12th and Denver should be a grocery store again...hundreds of people live in walking distance either in Downtown or in Riverview. Many hundreds more live a short drive or bus ride away. People that work downtown would certainly stop in to grab bakery goods on their way to the office, or a gallon of milk on their way home.

Agreed. I live about six blocks away and would LOOOOOVE to have a grocery store that close.
Michael71
Civic Leader

« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2010, 10:33:23 am »

My apologies for reviving this thread...but, I think a lot has changed in downtown over the past year.  I really feel that this issue warrants more discussion.

Is this land privately owned, city owned, "managed" by TDA, or what?

I am no developer & do not have much knowledge on the politics involved in development.  So I have a couple of questions...

1.  What need to happen to tell the city, developers, or other powers-that-be that this site being utilized as a grocery again would be a great decision for our downtown residents, tourists, concert-goers, hotel
          guests, etc...?  Petitions to the city?  I'm just not sure!

2.  All robbery & slow sales comments aside please...what did the North Tulsa residents do so diligently that brought the Gateway Market to their neighborhood?

Thanks for any thoughts.

Edit:
This story shows how much the city is willing to do for these kinds of projects.  Block grants, etc...

http://www.tulsaworld.com/business/article.aspx?subjectid=53&articleid=20100316_298_0_GtwyMr711272

« Last Edit: June 04, 2010, 10:39:42 am by Michael71 » Logged

--------------------------
"Why be part of the 'brain drain' that gets sucked out of Tulsa...The opportunity IS there, you just gotta make it!!"--Eric Marshall
Rico
« Reply #12 on: June 04, 2010, 11:00:49 am »

I would like to have a grocery store in the area but at this location coupled with the Arena and Convention Center traffic.... May have a small problem.
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #13 on: June 04, 2010, 11:01:06 am »

I'd heard OSU Tulsa either now owns or leases the building, anyone care to clarify?

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
TheTed
City Father

« Reply #14 on: June 04, 2010, 11:02:26 am »

I'd heard OSU Tulsa either now owns or leases the building, anyone care to clarify?
I think it's parking for OSU med ctr.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org