A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 11:41:16 pm
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Mexico Declares Economic War on US  (Read 10751 times)
Hometown
« Reply #15 on: March 19, 2009, 07:26:10 am »

Guido I don’t know how you ended up being a provincial Xenophobe when you have a moniker that sounds like Cousin Guido from the Bronx.

I’ll tell you what amazed me about New York and California.  They open their doors to one wave of immigration after another and give everyone equal footing in a wide open competition that embodies the best of our nation.  They’ve had waves of immigration that you’ve never even heard of.  Like all the immigrants from the Eastern Europe that showed up during Reagan’s term.  All these blondes were cleaning the office buildings in Manhattan. 

At the other end of the spectrum there was my Mother’s hometown of Evening Shade, Arkansas where there was a decision not to modernize and bring in business because it might draw what they called “colored” people.

Guess which example Tulsa must struggle against and overcome.

Mexican people are our first cousins.  Nothing to be afraid of you brave gunslingers.

Artist, all I’m coming up with for Taurus is the City of Oakland and the former Soviet Union.  Look for the date of incorporation and think of it as a birth date.

Just as I love my many moody Cancer friends, I love my moody U.S. for what she is:  Rich as old Midas and a master manipulator.

« Last Edit: March 19, 2009, 07:28:04 am by Hometown » Logged
cannon_fodder
All around good guy.
T-Town Elder

« Reply #16 on: March 19, 2009, 08:05:04 am »

+1 HT on the immigration thing HT.

NY and California have allowed (note: I don't say welcomed.  Each wave is generally mistreated by the others) immigrants and are among the most prosperous places on Earth.  The States that are staunchly anti-immigrant tend to struggle economically.   Certainly there is a long standing correlation.

Whatever problems immigration brings, it is apparently outweighed by the benefits.  It increases competition.  Provides unskilled labor for manufacturing.  And brings in new culture, ideas, and ways of doing things.

I'm not an open borders advocate, but certainly something drastic has to be done with immigration NOW before the economy turns around and it is a serious issue again.  It would be easier to implement the rules and begin enforcing them in an immigration slump than when the boom starts up again.

- - - - - - - - -
I crush grooves.
Double A
Sofa King Banned
City Father

« Reply #17 on: March 21, 2009, 09:31:03 am »

What B.S. Oklahoma has almost the lowest unemployment in the nation and suffered minimal fallout from the housing meltdown. California has high unemployment, leads in foreclosures, the state government is bankrupt and writing I.O.U.s  for income tax returns it owes, but can't pay.

If California is so great, why did HT move here? If Oklahoma sucks so much, why stay?

Obama should grow a pair and tell Mexico if they impose tariffs, we will impose a 90% tax/assessment/processing fee on all remittances leaving the United States going to Mexico. Considering this is one of Mexico's biggest sources of income, I bet they would fold like a cheap suit. It's embarrassing to see the leader of the free world drop to his knees like a jailhouse b*#ch when a corrupt, third world country threatens us.

It's becoming increasingly clear that all the talk during the campaign about helping the middle class and making free trade, fair trade was just that, talk. It seems that was just meaningless pandering to win an election with no intention whatsoever of making good on the promises made.

<center>
</center>
The clash of ideas is the sound of freedom. Ars Longa, Vita Brevis!
guido911
T-Town Elder

« Reply #18 on: March 21, 2009, 02:14:47 pm »

What B.S. Oklahoma has almost the lowest unemployment in the nation and suffered minimal fallout from the housing meltdown. California has high unemployment, leads in foreclosures, the state government is bankrupt and writing I.O.U.s  for income tax returns it owes, but can't pay.

If California is so great, why did HT move here? If Oklahoma sucks so much, why stay?

Good call AA. Throw in Nevada and Oregon as states with unemployment at 10%.

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=20601087&sid=amYi1YKTblko&refer=worldwide

Someone get Hoss a pacifier.
RipTout
Neo-Confederate
Activist

« Reply #19 on: March 21, 2009, 03:08:06 pm »

Narco-terrorist state and everyone's discussing trade?

Stop the aggression now!
RipTout
Neo-Confederate
Activist

« Reply #20 on: March 22, 2009, 09:26:07 am »

Anti-Drug Effort at Border Is Readied
Obama Plans to Send Agents, Equipment To Aid Mexican Fight
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2009/03/21/AR2009032102247.html?hpid=topnews

"I don't think the administration wants to play into the hands of those who take a rather xenophobic stance with regard to immigration."

You ever get the feeling those of us in Oklahoma live on the open range of opposition to the Obamiens?
« Last Edit: March 22, 2009, 09:46:35 am by RipTout » Logged
Breadburner
City Father

« Reply #21 on: March 22, 2009, 01:07:57 pm »

Tail wagging the dog.....

cannon_fodder
All around good guy.
T-Town Elder

« Reply #22 on: March 23, 2009, 07:49:59 am »

DoubleA:

I assume you are being an donkey and are not really this stupid.  I clearly did not say Oklahoma was a bad place and I clearly did not say everything was rosy in California or New York.   If you want to deny the fact that California and New York generate more wealth and more wealth per capita than Oklahoma than have at it.  I'm listening.

California booms and busts.  They take 10 steps forward and 2 steps back each decade.  In the meantime Oklahoma takes a few steps forward.  The sad truth is even when they are at a bust they still have more per capita wealth than Oklahoma does.  Looking at the stats we have twice the rape, equal the murders, 15% more property crime, more homelessness (by %, of course), a higher poverty rate, higher incarceration rate, slower economic growth (NET), more teenage mothers, less per capita income . . .  (seemingly attacking the myths that immigration causes crime while destroying values and reducing incomes).

I don't like everything California does, but on the whole they have generated a more prosperous people than Oklahoma has.  I could move anywhere I want to in the nation and have chosen to live here.  That doesn't mean I don't think it can be improved.

In any trade war the United States would be a net loser.   Mexico might lose more than we do, but I'd rather not lose at all.   Punishing Mexico by taking a few billion out of their economy while simultaneously taking a couple billion out of ours just doesn't make sense to me. 

Trade wars costs both sides.  One side will lose more than the other.  So yeah, we could probably grumble slap Mexico with a trade war of some kind into submission.  We'd prove ourselves right.  We'd lose billions of dollars and thousands of jobs, but man... we'd be right.

- - - - - - - - -
I crush grooves.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org