A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 04:31:21 am
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Mexico Declares Economic War on US  (Read 10755 times)
Wrinkle
« on: March 17, 2009, 04:46:06 pm »

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/front/6313809.html

Tried to find this in the Whirled and couldn't. But, the potential impact could be enourmous, not to mention the bigger issue of trade.

Funny a Dem inserted this into Obama's 2009 Spending Bill, though.

On the bigger scale, just imagine if the North American Highway projects left the US with no good alternative for transport. Mexico would be in position to cripple us economically.

Not to fear, Obama says he's going to fix it.

guido911
T-Town Elder

« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2009, 05:05:20 pm »

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/front/6313809.html

Tried to find this in the Whirled and couldn't. But, the potential impact could be enourmous, not to mention the bigger issue of trade.

Funny a Dem inserted this into Obama's 2009 Spending Bill, though.

On the bigger scale, just imagine if the North American Highway projects left the US with no good alternative for transport. Mexico would be in position to cripple us economically.

Not to fear, Obama says he's going to fix it.

I am on the fence on this one. Are the Mexican vehicles to be inspected the same as American vehicles? Do Mexican truckers have to go through the same licensing requirements? Can the drivers follow the "rules of the road" and read/understand the road signs? If not, keep them out.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2009, 05:07:00 pm by guido911 » Logged

Someone get Hoss a pacifier.
Nick Danger
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2009, 07:52:21 pm »

Possibly unjustified, but I might be concerned about what is being transported across our border. How stringent are the controls going to be? Are they going to inspect every truck that crosses the border?
Rico
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2009, 08:28:35 pm »

Possibly unjustified, but I might be concerned about what is being transported across our border. How stringent are the controls going to be? Are they going to inspect every truck that crosses the border?

No worries..........! They will mostly be transporting workers for the "Community Gardens" in Tulsa..

By the way, can you pay workers to work your "Community Garden"?
C'mon Duane say we can... Grin

If you can I can see Neighborhood Coalitions turning some serious Green........!

Maybe even enough to pay the truck drivers to haul excess back to Juarez.
cannon_fodder
All around good guy.
T-Town Elder

« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2009, 07:24:23 am »

Actually, the United States declared a trade war with Mexico.  By treaty we are required to allow inspected trucks access to US highways.  In exchange, the US trucks can travel in Mexico and we get unregulated access to Mexican markets for imports and exports.

We reneged  on our side of the bargain.  By rule they have the right to place a certain number of tariffs on our goods.  It has yet to be announced what goods will be crippled, for Tulsa's sake lets hope it isn't oil infrastructure.

I don't know what the inspection, insurance or safety criteria are - but I'm sure we thought of putting that in the treaty.    I would hope Mexican drivers are held to the same standard and a heightened insurance requirement (odds of them leaving the country are higher) - but I don't know. If we didn't set criteria we're still in violation of the treaty and will be punished. Not good for the US and not good for Mexico.
<hr>

We are also facing trade sanctions from the EU for various infractions we committed, restrictions from Canada for limiting timber imports, and possible sanctions from the WTO for subsidizing our auto industry to the detriment of Japan. 

Protectionism costs everyone in the long run.  By saving a few timber jobs you have cost more American jobs in industries that rely on timber as well as costing every American more money for anything that uses timber (including paper).  It is a net loser for America and the whatever nation we limit trade with. 

But boy does it play well politically . . .  the administration gets credit for helping the American Timber industry, but no one realizes it hindered the paper industry, every business and school that uses paper, or the housing industry.  Idiots.

- - - - - - - - -
I crush grooves.
Hometown
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2009, 02:05:22 pm »

The U.S. is a Cancer known for dramatic changes in mood from one day to the next.  She is generally seen as an unreliable partner.  We promised all of this a ways back and now we are reneging.

Our wealth is the only reason we can get away with this consistent pattern of unreliability in our relations with the rest of the World.

Did you know that the Latin American countries satirically characterize the U.S. as a "Business Woman?"

Mexico is not declaring war, that's inflamatory language; she is just using procedures laid out in NAFTA that we agreed to, probably even authored.

swake
T-Town Elder

« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2009, 03:41:30 pm »

The U.S. is a Cancer known for dramatic changes in mood from one day to the next.  She is generally seen as an unreliable partner.  We promised all of this a ways back and now we are reneging.

Our wealth is the only reason we can get away with this consistent pattern of unreliability in our relations with the rest of the World.

Did you know that the Latin American countries satirically characterize the U.S. as a "Business Woman?"

Mexico is not declaring war, that's inflamatory language; she is just using procedures laid out in NAFTA that we agreed to, probably even authored.

The United States is a cancer?

That’s just downright offensive. And Stupid.

First off, if we are so unreliable and are evil enough to be called a “cancer” how did we ever get so wealthy? Why would anyone have ever done business with us?

This country has many faults and is far from perfect, but we have done more to spread freedom, reason and wealth than any other nation in the history of the world.

As for being some kind of joke to South American nations. Really? You take that seriously? Is there a single nation in South America that has been well run for any length of time? It sounds like you are quoting Hugo Chavez, who besides being a world class nut job, is a tin pot dictator who uses hyperbolic speech about non-existent threats from other countries to foment populist, nationalist hate in an attempt to suppress the press, cover up his failures and cement his place as dictator.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2009, 03:43:12 pm by swake » Logged
waterboy
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2009, 04:35:42 pm »

Ever read horoscopes, Swake? Grin
Wrinkle
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2009, 04:48:26 pm »

CF, I think you mis-read the article. The U.S. is NOT reneging on anything. The 25-Mile rule established by NAFTA is still being honored.

What's changed is the funding for an _experimental_ program allowing deep access into the U.S. by Mexican truckers has been eliminated, thus the temporary program. This program was NOT a condition of NAFTA.

Wrinkle
« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2009, 04:53:59 pm »

FWIW, this also has little to do with protectionism, from a market standpoint. Protectionism from terrorist threats, imigration and illegal drug traffic indeed.

And, it would provide a level of protection for the U.S. trucking industry.

But, not goods markets.

What's the matter with Mexican truckers dropping load in a U.S. border zone to be picked up by U.S. trucking? Why does a Mexican truck line need to be able to drive to Kansas City, Minneapolis, Denver, et al?

Free trade and free travel are not the same thing.

Cats Cats Cats
City Father

« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2009, 06:51:22 pm »

These Mexican truck drivers are only supposed to come into the country and run their cargo and go back.  What happens is they come in and drive for 6 months or 9 months and then go back.  Rinse, repeat.
guido911
T-Town Elder

« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2009, 08:43:48 pm »

The U.S. is a Cancer known for dramatic changes in mood from one day to the next. 

I never thought I would read something more stupid, insipid, and damned unAmerican than your BS Vietnam era walkabout/anti-military post you made some time back until you posted the above statement.

Swake, +1 on your smackdown on Hometown the Gutless. It's amazing that as much of cancer we are that at approximately 13 million "undocumented immigrants" (many being from Latin and South America) have come to this country illegally.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2009, 09:50:51 pm by guido911 » Logged

Someone get Hoss a pacifier.
waterboy
« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2009, 09:42:07 pm »

You guys make me laugh. Cancer, the disease, is not captilized. Cancer, the astrological sign, is capitalized. Look up Emily Luttila from Saturday Night Live back in the seventies. Nevermind.
TheArtist
T-Town Elder

« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2009, 11:04:48 pm »

I wonder what sign the US could be that would be American? Apparently they didnt like the idea of the US being a Cancer. I am a stubborn Taurus.... is that unAmerican? :-p

"When you only have two pennies left in the world, buy a loaf of bread with one, and a lily with the other."-Chinese proverb. "Arts a staple. Like bread or wine or a warm coat in winter. Those who think it is a luxury have only a fragment of a mind. Mans spirit grows hungry for art in the same way h
swake
T-Town Elder

« Reply #14 on: March 19, 2009, 07:23:01 am »

You guys make me laugh. Cancer, the disease, is not captilized. Cancer, the astrological sign, is capitalized. Look up Emily Luttila from Saturday Night Live back in the seventies. Nevermind.

Astrology.

Well, first off, I apologize for taking this the wrong way. This being the 21st century and all it really shocks me that people might take that mindless crap at all seriously. But anyway, I am sorry, the moon must not have been in my house and Venus must have been ascending causing me to miss the reference.

Astrology.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org