A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 01:07:42 am
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Describe Tulsa  (Read 10894 times)
Neptune
« on: March 12, 2009, 02:23:06 pm »

How would you describe the city of Tulsa to someone who had zero knowledge of this town?
Renaissance
City Father

« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2009, 02:36:56 pm »

Like a little Austin without the university, capital or hippies.
Hometown
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2009, 02:41:18 pm »

Look past her fascination with Guns, Evangelism and Military.  At her best, Tulsa engenders the Love of Home and the Nurturing of Children.

RecycleMichael
truth teller
T-Town Elder

« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2009, 03:04:55 pm »

Tulsa is like cooking eggs in a skillet over a campfire. The temperature ain't even, there are some ashes to deal with and it needs something you don't have, but you're proud of the results.

Power is nothing till you use it.
TheArtist
T-Town Elder

« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2009, 05:41:54 pm »

I do this a lot lol.

Tulsa is a nice, small city. Dont look at those big skyscrapers and let that fool ya we are a very small, but lucky, city of only 380,000. We have been through some rough times in the recent past, but things are getting better.

We have some nice stuff here from the old oil boom era "grand old mansions, beautiful neighborhoods, stunning downtown architecture, museums, etc.". Right now there is some excitement about what is happening around town; new Arena, new Ballpark, new trails and amenities on the beautiful river parks, old buildings downtown being rehabbed, more urban housing coming in downtown, neat areas like Brookside and Cherry Street growing, great new developments across the river in Jenks, colleges expanding, and all kinds of other things. Tulsa is a young city and doesn't have a lot of the amenities that larger, older cities have, but we are starting to finally get there.  There is a lot of potential and opportunity here. Carpe diem!

« Last Edit: March 12, 2009, 05:47:21 pm by TheArtist » Logged

"When you only have two pennies left in the world, buy a loaf of bread with one, and a lily with the other."-Chinese proverb. "Arts a staple. Like bread or wine or a warm coat in winter. Those who think it is a luxury have only a fragment of a mind. Mans spirit grows hungry for art in the same way h
RipTout
Neo-Confederate
Activist

« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2009, 09:12:44 pm »

The mirror image of asluT.
OurTulsa
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2009, 09:38:57 pm »

Like a little Austin without the university, capital or hippies.

That's funny because I've described it to some of my friends as:

a little like New York without the subway, NYU, the west village or williamsburg, central park, the ocean, broadway, the people, and the cabbies!  Of course, I'm totally bs-n as I'm trying to convince them to visit...cause it's just like the City.

Sometimes I describe it as a City that wants desperately to be like Kansas City or Chicago but can't quite get out of South.  The energy industry brought the City some High Society but that money and culture has slowly seeped to Houston and those that want to make this City interesting and diverse are finding themselves more and more in the minority.  With that said, it's affordable and the people are friendly.  And with most places, it's what you make it and there is enough here to make it enjoyable.
RipTout
Neo-Confederate
Activist

« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2009, 10:58:40 pm »

Lethal?

http://www.latimes.com/news/science/environment/la-sci-ozone12-2009mar12,0,5652358.story?track=rss

Gimme just a little mo of that low level ozone.....

Never mind. Our doses are high level.

All's clear.
Chicken Little
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2009, 08:57:20 am »

Tulsa is the Paris of Oklahoma!
USRufnex
« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2009, 10:56:36 am »

Athens on the Arkansas  ...  snark.   Tongue
« Last Edit: March 13, 2009, 11:08:50 am by USRufnex » Logged
sauerkraut
City Father

I Conquered The 2013 -2015 Polar Bear Plunge!!

« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2009, 11:36:00 am »

This is a tuff one. Tulsa: The shining city on the hill sums it up pretty much, I'd also say getting around in Tulsa is very easy the streets are layed out in a grid pattern so you don't have to worry about getting lost. Tulsa is a bit like Fort Worth in many ways minus the Billy Bob's Texas. Tulsa & Fort Worth both have jogging trails on their river banks. I'd have to say Fort Worth & Tulsa are alot alike. Know one and you'll know the other. Cheesy

Proud Global  Warming Deiner! Earth Is Getting Colder NOT Warmer!
Gaspar
T-Town Elder

Connoisseur of fine bacon.

« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2009, 01:22:15 pm »

Tulsa, exactly like nothing else.

When attacked by a mob of clowns, always go for the juggler.
PonderInc
City Dweller
City Father

« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2009, 01:31:41 pm »

Tulsa is a "training bra" city.  Not quite flat chested.  Not quite fully endowed.

It's where people from small towns move to "the big city."  And where people from Tulsa leave for "the big city."

It's the city version of a TU basketball coach's career...a stepping stone on the way to a more prestigous place.
Gaspar
T-Town Elder

Connoisseur of fine bacon.

« Reply #13 on: March 13, 2009, 01:37:31 pm »

Tulsa is a "training bra" city.  Not quite flat chested.  Not quite fully endowed.

It's where people from small towns move to "the big city."  And where people from Tulsa leave for "the big city."

It's the city version of a TU basketball coach's career...a stepping stone on the way to a more prestigous place.

I know a bunch of people (myself included) who "stepped out" but when we were ready to raise a family we came back.

When attacked by a mob of clowns, always go for the juggler.
we vs us
City Father

« Reply #14 on: March 13, 2009, 01:37:55 pm »

Your second sentence nailed it entirely.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org