A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 05:16:57 pm
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Will the Creek ever be a non-toll road?  (Read 6596 times)
Mike 01Hawk
Civic Leader

Peace be with you

« on: February 23, 2009, 09:00:01 am »

Was that ever talked about when it was being designed?
Ibanez
City Father

« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2009, 09:14:32 am »

Survey says......

no
dbacks fan
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2009, 09:24:51 am »

Once a toll road, always a toll road. Turner, Will Rogers and H.E. Bailey, 50 plus years as money makers for the OTA. At least the monet they make is suppposed to go back into the roads.
rwarn17588
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2009, 09:57:56 am »

To make the toll roads free, you'd have to have an increase in fuel taxes to compensate. I don't see it happening.
Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2009, 10:25:46 am »

Imagine the Turnpike Authority reaction.

Never happen.

sauerkraut
City Father

I Conquered The 2013 -2015 Polar Bear Plunge!!

« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2009, 11:23:14 am »

Dream on~ Once a toll road always a toll road. The state  Oklahoma always talked about getting rid of  the tolls one day, but that day never comes. In Ohio they were to get rid of the toll on the Ohio Turnpike once the road was paid off, but when the time came and the road was paid off, they decided to keep the toll for road up-keep & road repair. The only toll road I know of that gone away was the Dallas-Fort Worth I-30 TurnPike, it got paid off in 1978 and they made the road free. There could be other turnpikes that went away but I don't know of any.[xx(] [B)]

Proud Global  Warming Deiner! Earth Is Getting Colder NOT Warmer!
sauerkraut
City Father

I Conquered The 2013 -2015 Polar Bear Plunge!!

« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2009, 11:28:29 am »

quote:
Originally posted by rwarn17588

To make the toll roads free, you'd have to have an increase in fuel taxes to compensate. I don't see it happening.

Other states have free roads, Michigan has no toll roads. If they can do it why not Oklahoma? Just fund the roads the same way the other states do. Missouri has low fuel taxes and I-44 thru Missouri is free, at the Oklahoma state line it's a toll road. IMO I think the TurnPike Authority gets too big and powerful and many high paying jobs are on the line, so they keep the toll roads. The TurnPike Authority can get very powerful.[xx(] [B)]

Proud Global  Warming Deiner! Earth Is Getting Colder NOT Warmer!
EricP
Civic Leader

« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2009, 01:31:29 pm »

I'd rather pay the toll than deal with massive potholes, damaged guard rails gone unfixed, sudden decreasing radius turns with off-camber angles.... the only really bad part about the creek is the lack of center median which means the cops love to camp it.

cannon_fodder
All around good guy.
T-Town Elder

« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2009, 04:31:15 pm »

Michigan has no toll roads because Michigan more than anywhere else benefits from our addiction to cars.  The more roads and the less transportation alternatives, the happier Michigan is.

Frankly, I don't mind well managed toll roads.  Make the toll primarily pay for THAT road, a real use tax.  I understand there will be an operating skim.  I also understand that when the road is paid off there will be a skim to subsidize new projects.  But PRIMARILY, they should self fund.

Use taxes are the most fair taxes available.  You use it, you pay for it.

I think Tulsa is better off with the Creek turnpike as a toll road than simply not having it.  Likewise, the roads primary purpose is to make living outside of Tulsa more convenient.  As a Tulsan it doesn't help me in any way to pay for people to commute more quickly from Broken Arrow, etc.   That road isn't helping our regional trade or manufacturing, it's a commuter road.  I paid for a residents near where I work, so in my selfishness I don't want to subsidize someone else's commuter habits.

- - - - - - - - -
I crush grooves.
Gaspar
T-Town Elder

Connoisseur of fine bacon.

« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2009, 04:53:24 pm »

Is the Turnpike Authority a private corporation?

If so, then no.

« Last Edit: February 23, 2009, 04:53:47 pm by Gaspar » Logged

When attacked by a mob of clowns, always go for the juggler.
tulsascoot
Civic Leader

« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2009, 05:43:30 pm »

Since I never need to drive on that road, I say leave it alone. Those who use it are the only ones who have to pay for it.

naenae42day
« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2009, 07:26:31 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by EricP

I'd rather pay the toll than deal with massive potholes, damaged guard rails gone unfixed, sudden decreasing radius turns with off-camber angles.... the only really bad part about the creek is the lack of center median which means the cops love to camp it.

I don't think the toll roads will ever go away, but I am curious about states that have managed to have good roads...and no tolls.  What do they know that OK doesn't?
Markk
Civic Leader

« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2009, 09:54:59 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by naenae42day

quote:

I don't think the toll roads will ever go away, but I am curious about states that have managed to have good roads...and no tolls.  What do they know that OK doesn't?

How to prioritize?
YoungTulsan
City Father

« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2009, 01:20:16 am »

LOL

Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

I might be moving to Anguilla soon...

« Reply #14 on: February 24, 2009, 07:42:37 am »

quote:
Originally posted by naenae42day

quote:

Higher state gas taxes.

Libertarianism is a system of beliefs for people who think adolescence is the epitome of human achievement.

Global warming isn't real because it was cold today.  Also great news: world famine is over because I just ate - Stephen Colbert.

Somebody find Guido an ambulance to chase...
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org