A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 02:59:51 am
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 7-digit dialing may end  (Read 27359 times)
sgrizzle
Kung Fu Treachery
T-Town Elder

Inconceivable!

« Reply #45 on: January 04, 2010, 02:49:13 pm »

Has the code been decided already? I hope not, that one is too close to the existing code for my taste. Makes for easy confusion.

Personally, I've been doing 10 digit dialing exclusively for years, thanks to my cell phone. It'll do 7 digits when I'm on my home system (in 479), but I'm not there much anymore, so it's pretty much always 10 digits for me. Even when I had the landline, I'd still dial 10 digits with it. It's too much trouble to remember which phones I can dial 7 digits from and which require 10 digits.

I can't even say I think of numbers much with 7 digits anymore. If someone asks me for my telephone number, it always includes the area code, regardless of whether I'm giving them one of my 479 numbers or my 918 number. I pretty much always say, "area code 10 digit number"

Nope, it hasn't been decided yet.
swake
T-Town Elder

« Reply #46 on: January 04, 2010, 04:01:07 pm »

It'll be like the digital turnover.  After the transition period we'll hear "My tel-e-phone don't work no more and I want me some answers" on the local news.

Anyone else already used to a 10 digit system with a cell-phone only house? 

Everything has been 10 digits in my cell for years.
DolfanBob
City Father

« Reply #47 on: January 04, 2010, 05:23:49 pm »

I just heard new customers will be assigned area code 539
Missed Jr Samples number by 1 digit. BR-549(Hee Haw)

Changing opinions one mistake at a time.
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #48 on: January 04, 2010, 10:21:28 pm »

I just heard new customers will be assigned area code 539
Missed Jr Samples number by 1 digit. BR-549(Hee Haw)

539?  That's an ugly number combo.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
nathanm
T-Town Elder

« Reply #49 on: January 04, 2010, 10:47:53 pm »

539?  That's an ugly number combo.
It hasn't been decided yet, unless it just hasn't made it to the list on NANPA's website yet. (I just checked for myself)

"Labor is prior to and independent of capital. Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if labor had not first existed. Labor is the superior of capital, and deserves much the higher consideration" --Abraham Lincoln
Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

I might be moving to Anguilla soon...

« Reply #50 on: January 04, 2010, 11:09:32 pm »

It hasn't been decided yet, unless it just hasn't made it to the list on NANPA's website yet. (I just checked for myself)

the news is reporting it as 539 as NANPA has allegedly let the FCC know, but the final authority is the FCC I believe.  Currently the 918 area code has 80 NXX's (prefixes) left.

Not sure I'm a big fan of the overlay.  I think a split would have made more sense as long as the 918 area code was kept for the Tulsa Local Calling Area, and all those outside given 539.  But businesses hollered about having to make new letterhead or what have you.

Libertarianism is a system of beliefs for people who think adolescence is the epitome of human achievement.

Global warming isn't real because it was cold today.  Also great news: world famine is over because I just ate - Stephen Colbert.

Somebody find Guido an ambulance to chase...
patric
T-Town Elder

These Aren't the Droids You're Looking For

« Reply #51 on: January 05, 2010, 12:37:30 am »

Has the code been decided already?

The North American Numbering Plan Administration, which works with the Federal Communications Commission, announced that the new area code will be 539. The organization had estimated the 918 area would run out of telephone numbers sometime in the second quarter of 2012.

On Aug. 7, a “permissive calling” period will begin and allow local calls to be completed with or without dialing the area code. By March 5, 2011, all callers will need to dial the area code in order to make local calls.
http://www.tulsaworld.com/news/article.aspx?subjectid=12&articleid=20100104_46_0_Reside898056

"Tulsa will lay off police and firemen before we will cut back on unnecessarily wasteful streetlights."  -- March 18, 2009 TulsaNow Forum
nathanm
T-Town Elder

« Reply #52 on: January 05, 2010, 12:39:16 am »

the news is reporting it as 539 as NANPA has allegedly let the FCC know, but the final authority is the FCC I believe.  Currently the 918 area code has 80 NXX's (prefixes) left.

Not sure I'm a big fan of the overlay.  I think a split would have made more sense as long as the 918 area code was kept for the Tulsa Local Calling Area, and all those outside given 539.  But businesses hollered about having to make new letterhead or what have you.
Weird that it's not posted yet..

"Labor is prior to and independent of capital. Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if labor had not first existed. Labor is the superior of capital, and deserves much the higher consideration" --Abraham Lincoln
sgrizzle
Kung Fu Treachery
T-Town Elder

Inconceivable!

« Reply #53 on: January 05, 2010, 06:36:09 am »

Dana Murphy voted against it and wanted the split, said the elderly thought they should have to dial 10 whole number to reach the person across the street.
swake
T-Town Elder

« Reply #54 on: January 05, 2010, 07:40:38 am »

539?  That's an ugly number combo.

Don't whine about the 539
sgrizzle
Kung Fu Treachery
T-Town Elder

Inconceivable!

« Reply #55 on: January 05, 2010, 08:03:50 am »

Don't shine the 539
Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

« Reply #56 on: January 05, 2010, 08:26:28 am »

Don't shine the 539

Funny..Six in the Morning did a piece on just that very subject this morning (regarding the 'Don't Hate the 918' tees and how to go about it with 539).

Libertarianism is a system of beliefs for people who think adolescence is the epitome of human achievement.

Global warming isn't real because it was cold today.  Also great news: world famine is over because I just ate - Stephen Colbert.

Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

« Reply #57 on: January 05, 2010, 08:27:02 am »

Like yours better....because I'm sure it will apply when all this starts.

Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #58 on: January 05, 2010, 08:36:02 am »

Or a T-shirt for very busty women that says: "539 you lookin' mighty fine"

Though I gotta say, Swake's slogan gets my vote for a well-timed reply.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
RecycleMichael
truth teller
T-Town Elder

« Reply #59 on: January 05, 2010, 08:55:12 am »

feeling fine in 539

Power is nothing till you use it.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org