A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 16, 2024, 07:55:24 am
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 7-digit dialing may end  (Read 27297 times)
patric
T-Town Elder

These Aren't the Droids You're Looking For

« on: February 04, 2009, 11:57:23 pm »

Dialing 7 digits to call a local phone in or around Tulsa may end soon... depending on the outcome of the Corporation Commission's decision regarding the depletion of numbers in the 918 area code.

The other option is dividing the 918 area code and giving outlying areas a new area code of their own, as was done a few years ago to the 405 area code.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Area_code_918

The later could mean that calling areas in the new area code would now be considered Long Distance, while the former could mean three extra keystrokes to call the house next door.  

The commission promises to spill the beans tomorrow in a news conference.

"Tulsa will lay off police and firemen before we will cut back on unnecessarily wasteful streetlights."  -- March 18, 2009 TulsaNow Forum
Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

I might be moving to Anguilla soon...

« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2009, 12:32:44 am »

quote:
Originally posted by patric

Dialing 7 digits to call a local phone in or around Tulsa may end soon... depending on the outcome of the Corporation Commission's decision regarding the depletion of numbers in the 918 area code.

The other option is dividing the 918 area code and giving outlying areas a new area code of their own, as was done a few years ago to the 405 area code.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Area_code_918

The later could mean that calling areas in the new area code would now be considered Long Distance, while the former could mean three extra keystrokes to call the house next door.  

The commission promises to spill the beans tomorrow in a news conference.

But probably not until at the very least 2011 would this even be needed.

And some of your facts regarding LD and the split or overlay are misleading.  LD wouldn't be magically assigned to areas where they weren't before.

It also appears that NANPA (North American Numbering Plan Administration) has a document that says an overlay type was requested in May with the OCC.  Whether or not that is final has yet to be seen.

http://www.nanpa.com/reports/NPA_Relief_Activity_Status_Report_010109.pdf

Find area code 918 in that table.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2009, 12:38:23 am by Hoss » Logged

Libertarianism is a system of beliefs for people who think adolescence is the epitome of human achievement.

Global warming isn't real because it was cold today.  Also great news: world famine is over because I just ate - Stephen Colbert.

Somebody find Guido an ambulance to chase...
sgrizzle
Kung Fu Treachery
T-Town Elder

Inconceivable!

« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2009, 07:00:04 am »

Like Hoss said, changing area code doesn't mean it's now long distance. Batlesville is long distance, but has a 918 number, while major cities like LA let you call numbers in many area codes, as local calls.
joiei
City Father

« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2009, 07:18:00 am »

Having overlaying codes is no big deal.  I have lived in areas where this was the case.  And the house next door was not LD.  That is why today I always input the area code on any phone number that I put into my home phone or cell phone.  A habit I picked up there and have held onto.

It's hard being a Diamond in a rhinestone world.
cannon_fodder
All around good guy.
T-Town Elder

« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2009, 08:14:01 am »

If we could take a vote, I'd vote for having TULSA and the burbs be 918 and the rest of NE Oklahoma change area codes.  Otherwise it throws off the "Don't hate the 918" T-shirts.

A better reason:  less people would be effected by the change in this manner AND a long distance number would be more indicative of the likelihood of it being a long distance call from Tulsa.  Not that long distance really matters anymore.

- - - - - - - - -
I crush grooves.
sgrizzle
Kung Fu Treachery
T-Town Elder

Inconceivable!

« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2009, 09:18:29 am »

quote:
Originally posted by cannon_fodder

If we could take a vote, I'd vote for having TULSA and the burbs be 918 and the rest of NE Oklahoma change area codes.  Otherwise it throws off the "Don't hate the 918" T-shirts.

A better reason:  less people would be effected by the change in this manner AND a long distance number would be more indicative of the likelihood of it being a long distance call from Tulsa.  Not that long distance really matters anymore.

That is what they did with the 405/580 conversion. OKC got to keep 405 and the rural areas had to change.
nathanm
T-Town Elder

« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2009, 02:04:24 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by cannon_fodder

Doesn't SBC..err at&t have toll alerting here? You know, forcing you to dial a leading 1 to make a long distance call? (and annoyingly, not putting the call through if you do dial a leading 1 and it's actually a local call)

Overlays are generally better in that they eliminate the burden of remaking signs, business cards, and everything else that has telephone numbers on it.

Don't get me wrong, I like 7 digit dialing, but I hate placing a monetary burden on businesses and individuals even more. With the overlay, nobody's number changes.

"Labor is prior to and independent of capital. Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if labor had not first existed. Labor is the superior of capital, and deserves much the higher consideration" --Abraham Lincoln
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2009, 03:15:14 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by sgrizzle

major cities like LA let you call numbers in many area codes, as local calls.

"If Jimmie's donkey ain't home, I don't know what the **** we're going to do, man. 'Cause I ain't got no other partners in 8-1-8."

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
swake
T-Town Elder

« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2009, 04:24:20 pm »

I would also guess that an area code split would split the metro in half as the 918 region isn’t that large and the large majority of the population in 918 is in metro Tulsa. I would hate to have to figure out if a person or business is east or west of Yale Ave to know what area code to use. Cell phones would be a nightmare to figure out which area code they would be.

An overlay would be much easier on people. If someone has an existing phone number, it remains the same, if you get a new number; you get the new area code. Simple.
nathanm
T-Town Elder

« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2009, 04:28:30 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by swake

I would also guess that an area code split would split the metro in half as the 918 region isn’t that large and the large majority of the population in 918 is in metro Tulsa.

You'd think that, but it's not very likely. Look what they did in Arkansas when they split 501 and 870.

Maybe we could do the reverse somersault overlay with a twist they did with 321 and 407 in central florida.[xx(]

"Labor is prior to and independent of capital. Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if labor had not first existed. Labor is the superior of capital, and deserves much the higher consideration" --Abraham Lincoln
nathanm
T-Town Elder

« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2009, 06:02:21 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by inteller

yes but you forget that the area that grew the most got reassigned a new area code.  When NW Arkansas outgrew 501, they simply carved off the area and reassigned them 479.

i don't think that will happen to Tulsa metro, but it could.

Sure, but a couple of years later they split the rural areas of 501 off into 870. Didn't make much sense to me.

naenae42day
« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2009, 07:15:25 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Conan71

quote:
Originally posted by sgrizzle

major cities like LA let you call numbers in many area codes, as local calls.

"If Jimmie's donkey ain't home, I don't know what the **** we're going to do, man. 'Cause I ain't got no other partners in 8-1-8."
PULP FICTION is the greatest movie EVER!!!
I don't wanna talk about the coffee in my kitchen Jules!

joiei
City Father

« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2009, 09:08:38 pm »

Here is how overlays work in Florida.  They now have 3 different regions with overlays.  
quote:
M ore information concerning Florida area codes is available from the Florida Public Service Commission.     1 Area Code 786 is being applied as an "overlay" area code in the Florida Keys (Monroe County), which are currently served by the 305 area code. After the 305 area code has been fully assigned, area code 786, currently serving Miami-Dade County, will be assigned to new numbers in the Florida Keys. The new area code will only be assigned to new phone numbers, so existing numbers in the Florida Keys will not change.     2 In September 2001, a new area code (754) became an "overlay" area code in Broward County, which was previously served only by the 954 area code. The 754 area code will be used to assign new numbers when needed; existing numbers in Broward County have not changed.      3 Area Code 321 is an "overlay" area code for the Orlando area (Orange, Seminole & Osceola counties) and will be assigned to new numbers as the 407 area code is exhausted. Existing numbers with the 407 area code will not change. Area code 321 is also the primary area code for all of Brevard County.
It really is not that big of a deal.  Plus it is cost effective for the residents because they do not have to reprint all their forms, letter heads, advertisements, an on and on.  How many pieces of stationary and such have your company's phone number?

It's hard being a Diamond in a rhinestone world.
cannon_fodder
All around good guy.
T-Town Elder

« Reply #13 on: February 06, 2009, 08:12:47 am »

Just looking at the area code map, it appears overlays are the are the minority.  Particularly in areas where there is one major population center.  I don't see any areas as large as the 918 that have an overlay.

It seems like the M.O. has been to standardize the area code around the largest population center and reassign the outlying areas.   Basically draw a line around metro Tulsa and tell Bville, Miami, and Kansas, Oklahoma they have a new number.

http://www.answering-services-phone-messaging.com/area_code_map.jpg

I prefer this for two selfish reasons:

1) I get to get my same number and business cards.

2) It makes Tulsa appear like a large city.  Most large cities have their own area codes, I want one too.  

and one practical reason:

3) Having to dial a ten digit number would be more indicative of long distance and/or location than an overlay.  I know 405 is OKC, I know 580 is rural Oklahoma.  With an overlay 918/921 (whatever) the number wouldn't give you any useful information.

For those that curious, here is a full list of used and unused codes:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_NANP_area_codes

- - - - - - - - -
I crush grooves.
dbacks fan
« Reply #14 on: February 06, 2009, 08:51:29 am »

Here is the area code split that they did for Phoenix and Arizona. If you live in Phoenix you have to do ten digit dialing between 623, 602 and 480 with no long distance charges. I would suspect that they may give the Tulsa and the surrounding area 918 and give the NE part of the state a new area code. The impact would be less expensive to people due to the smaller population.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org