A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 09:41:14 pm
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Corruption Probe News Conference  (Read 30882 times)
DowntownNow
« Reply #15 on: January 22, 2009, 06:30:54 pm »

Regarding Ken Shoemaker...Internet search finds that he worked for an engineering outfit that according to its web site "provides engineering services in the field of bridge design, construction inspection, roadway design, bridge inspection, and hydraulic analysis.

Design projects completed by (Blank) Engineers, Inc. range from county roads and bridges to the $10 million, 3,140 foot long twin bridge over the North Canadian River in Oklahoma City. (Blank) Engineers, Inc. is responsible for the inspection of the Oklahoma DOT fracture critical bridges as well as the inspection of all bridges in cities and counties statewide. Bridge rehabilitation projects include the 1,400 foot long Interstate 44 (Will Rogers Turnpike) bridge over the Neosho River in Ottawa County, Oklahoma as well as numerous county and city projects.

(Blank) Engineers, Inc. is presently providing construction oversight for two major turnpikes in Tulsa, Oklahoma. The East Creek Turnpike and Broken Arrow South Loop will require approximately 25 miles of grading, drainage and pavement in addition to approximately 25 bridges. The estimated construction cost for these two projects is $130 million with $58 million for bridges,and $72 million for roadway. In addition (Blank) Engineers, Inc. has provided construction oversight for the City of Tulsa on over $5 million of street construction and utility relocation."

Yikes! This guy was working on oversight of our streets?! How can the FBI and investigators state with confidence that public safety was never compromised? If these folks were indicted on fraud and bribery charges, what prevents them from skirting specs and inspections?

Demand answers Tulsa!
Wrinkle
« Reply #16 on: January 22, 2009, 07:11:22 pm »

What website?

Blank Engineers

...gone green minimal.
DowntownNow
« Reply #17 on: January 22, 2009, 08:34:51 pm »

Well, since I've read the full indictment and it mentions the engineering company by name I guess I can in here too.

Its FBS Engineers, Inc. located in Tulsa.  
http://www.fbsengineers.com/Our_Services/body_our_services.html

Shame a company employing more than this individual will be held accountable in many degrees.  The indictment even calls for forfeiture of personal property from some...whew!
MDepr2007
« Reply #18 on: January 22, 2009, 09:05:34 pm »

Think Obama will still give us money?
Double A
Sofa King Banned
City Father

« Reply #19 on: January 22, 2009, 09:59:17 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by MDepr2007

Maybe we should consult the magic [8]? Let's see, work for our recently passed street package has been put on hold indefinitely due to criminal conspiracy and corruption in the public works department. Two high ranking transit officials have been put on administrative leave for sixty days pending the results of an audit. That doesn't sound like a city that is very shovel ready to me. [8] says, outlook not so good.[xx(]

Taylor the Tyrant has fostered a corporate culture of corruption in city government. Make Life Bitter.

<center>
</center>
The clash of ideas is the sound of freedom. Ars Longa, Vita Brevis!
Rico
« Reply #20 on: January 23, 2009, 08:18:02 am »

quote:
Originally posted by inteller

and councilor martinson wonders why Tulsan's have a distrust and a perception that funds are mishandled.....too many hands in the cookie jar!

someone made a comment in another unrelated thread that the feds were waiting in the shadows ready to pounce on the city.  who are you and what did you know?

Anyone else feel like maybe Mr Hardt had to purchase a little more antiperspirant than usual???

However, he did have that "glowing internal audit" of his Department recently...
sgrizzle
Kung Fu Treachery
T-Town Elder

Inconceivable!

« Reply #21 on: January 23, 2009, 08:19:58 am »

waterboy
« Reply #22 on: January 23, 2009, 08:29:56 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Double A

quote:
Originally posted by MDepr2007

Maybe we should consult the magic [8]? Let's see, work for our recently passed street package has been put on hold indefinitely due to criminal conspiracy and corruption in the public works department. Two high ranking transit officials have been put on administrative leave for sixty days pending the results of an audit. That doesn't sound like a city that is very shovel ready to me. [8] says, outlook not so good.[xx(]

Taylor the Tyrant has fostered a corporate culture of corruption in city government. Make Life Bitter.

Was Taylor the Mayor in 2005? These allegations stem from that time period. In fact, its likely that incidents like this have been happening for a long time in Tulsa county. If you know anyone in government positions that involve public/private interface, you know the temptation is there and sometimes given in to.

I would agree there is a "corporate culture of greed and corruption" in America right now, but it is really tedious to see everything blamed on Taylor just because she is a former corporate executive.
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #23 on: January 23, 2009, 09:36:04 am »

I'm hardly a Mayor Taylor apologist, but I fail to see how this "trifecta" of scandals ("perfect storm" was the other drivel used) as the morning host on KFAG (Campbell?) put it, almost surely tanks Taylor's re-election bid.

She reacted swiftly and appropriately in dealing with this.  I don't know what more people could want given the situation.  I am critical of the fact that no mayor has ever seemed willing to stand up to Charles Hardt amid years of allegations of a GOB network in Public Works.  Hardt casts an intimidating shadow and I think previous admins have been too scared to dig deep in that department.

I definitely agree Hardt has way, way too much power for a non-elected official and there's serious doubt amongst those in construction-related trades that this is the only instance of corruption in Public Works.  I think it's time for the Mayor to relieve Mr. Hardt of his duties.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
cannon_fodder
All around good guy.
T-Town Elder

« Reply #24 on: January 23, 2009, 09:45:50 am »

They ran a clip where Kathy gave the standard "this will not be allowed to stand or tolerated in any fashion" kind of statement this morning.

If the allegations are found to be true it NEEDS to be fully investigated.  Everyone who participated in, covered up, knew, should have known, or failed to care about this crap should be hung out to dry.  Corruption in public office DESTROYS democracy and further erodes the chance government has of doing anything good.  I'm serious, if Joe Blow city auditor didn't bother looking into it for some reason hang his donkey out to dry too.  

Same policy for business men that bribe government officials.  I say we treat them like drug dealers and assume all their wealth is ill gotten.  Take everything they have away and sell it to compensate the city.  The hell with 'em.

Maybe we are finding out why Tulsa has a normal tax rate but doesn't appear to get our moneys worth?  Maybe we know why the river vote failed.  Perhaps we are starting to figure out why people are paranoid about corruption and the "money belt" running everything.

Heads better roll.

- - - - - - - - -
I crush grooves.
TURobY
Social Butterfly
City Father

« Reply #25 on: January 23, 2009, 09:55:17 am »

quote:

here is a good chance for elected officials to come together and make several wrongs into a right.

I would suggest that public works gets a complete reorg, several people leave.

Do not renew the contract with INCOG.  Merge that responsibility into a new planning/permitting/public works organization.  and completely get rid of that "working in neighborhoods" office.

if KKT cleans house and implements the above, I might gain an inkling of respect for her.

Make sure that you contact your elected officials with that information.

---Robert
patric
T-Town Elder

These Aren't the Droids You're Looking For

« Reply #26 on: January 23, 2009, 10:33:18 am »

quote:

and completely get rid of that "working in neighborhoods" office.

I believe there should be a Codes Enforcement in some way, shape or form to stem the decline of neighborhoods, but that's another topic.

"Tulsa will lay off police and firemen before we will cut back on unnecessarily wasteful streetlights."  -- March 18, 2009 TulsaNow Forum
DowntownNow
« Reply #27 on: January 23, 2009, 10:37:03 am »

What does run all the way to the top may not be corruption but ineptitude on the part of a Public Works Director (Charles Hardt) and his boss, Mayor Kathy Taylor. Mayor Taylor wants the city to run like a business with her as CEO, in either case, as Mayor, she is ultimately responsible for the conduct of those under her.

Yesterday's speech from Mayor Taylor should have started out with "I have failed you but I will make amends and investigate this fully"...I could have admired that.  

For years I've heard of requests to audit and investigate Public Works but since taking office, she is just as responsible for inaction as previous Mayors. Its one thing to come out after an embarrassing federal indictment is handed down and say it wont be tolerated, its another to be honest, transparent and accountable for the 'business' you run.

The role of City government is to act and provide for the best interests of its citizens, not the few, not the powerful, but all of its citizens. When answers are demanded, action must be taken to promote transparency and trust in our public officials. We can run study after study but we cant find the money to conduct investigations and audits when necessary? I say 'Bully!' to that.

I agree, to save face and to engender trust again from the public, drastic changes should be made within Public Works, starting with Charles Hardt.  No investigation, no findings necessary...it happened on his watch, he has to go!  As a 'highly skilled and knowledgable professional' and as the director, Hardt should have been able to see that jobs were coming in to high, that final invoices were being inflated.  It is obvious he provided no oversight from a management standpoint.  I can't imagine that there are no other highly qualified candidates available for his job, and in Tulsa.  

Mayor, if you want to do the right thing...start there and show us you have the backbone and integrity to put the people's interests before any other.
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #28 on: January 23, 2009, 10:51:04 am »

DTN, for some reason, Hardt has been left alone for years.  There's also a saying that the person who actually "runs" the city is Charles Hardt.

No one would **** with him.  Officials would say they were going to look into lack of efficiency at Public Works and why the same contract engineers and vendors seem to be getting all the work, etc.  Then it just silently vanishes like a fart in the wind.

This might be enough public outrage that someone can stand up to Hardt w/o fear of reprisal.  I'm curious if we've seen all the indictments we will be seeing.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
guido911
T-Town Elder

« Reply #29 on: January 23, 2009, 10:59:20 am »

quote:
Originally posted by cannon_fodder

They ran a clip where Kathy gave the standard "this will not be allowed to stand or tolerated in any fashion" kind of statement this morning.

If the allegations are found to be true it NEEDS to be fully investigated.  Everyone who participated in, covered up, knew, should have known, or failed to care about this crap should be hung out to dry.  Corruption in public office DESTROYS democracy and further erodes the chance government has of doing anything good.  I'm serious, if Joe Blow city auditor didn't bother looking into it for some reason hang his donkey out to dry too.  

Same policy for business men that bribe government officials.  I say we treat them like drug dealers and assume all their wealth is ill gotten.  Take everything they have away and sell it to compensate the city.  The hell with 'em.

Maybe we are finding out why Tulsa has a normal tax rate but doesn't appear to get our moneys worth?  Maybe we know why the river vote failed.  Perhaps we are starting to figure out why people are paranoid about corruption and the "money belt" running everything.

Heads better roll.

Wow CF, you obviously got up on the wrong side or something. That rant is about as irate as I have ever read from you.

Someone get Hoss a pacifier.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org