A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 06:04:46 am
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Dave and Busters  (Read 15629 times)
Hawkins
« Reply #45 on: January 17, 2009, 02:58:39 am »

quote:
Originally posted by jne

Thinking about checking it out tonight with a group friends - is it gonna be crazy busy (ong wait for tables and games)?  I don't normally do South Tulsa so if it is a huge ordeal, then I may not go South of 51st again this year.

Not go south of 51st Street!!! HAhahahaha...

No seriously. No Starbucks for you.

Bwhahahahahahaha

[Tongue]
Hawkins
« Reply #46 on: January 17, 2009, 03:00:25 am »

quote:

My crowd feels overall Louie's is superior. Especially the food.

What is Louie's??
TheArtist
T-Town Elder

« Reply #47 on: January 17, 2009, 08:49:16 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Hawkins

quote:
Originally posted by jne

Thinking about checking it out tonight with a group friends - is it gonna be crazy busy (ong wait for tables and games)?  I don't normally do South Tulsa so if it is a huge ordeal, then I may not go South of 51st again this year.

Bwhahahahahahaha

[Tongue]

I despise doing the South Tulsa, south of 51st, thing too. With few exceptions, It seems to sap your soul. And I gots me plenty o Starbucks, and better local java fare, here in Mid-Town and downtown. [Cheesy] I can actually WALK to the local starbucks by my house near 41st and Yale. Then speedily high tail it back home on my caffeine high.[Tongue] Think I will take my laptop and do that today actually.

« Last Edit: January 17, 2009, 08:51:06 am by TheArtist » Logged

"When you only have two pennies left in the world, buy a loaf of bread with one, and a lily with the other."-Chinese proverb. "Arts a staple. Like bread or wine or a warm coat in winter. Those who think it is a luxury have only a fragment of a mind. Mans spirit grows hungry for art in the same way h
carltonplace
Historic Artifact
City Father

« Reply #48 on: January 17, 2009, 11:51:43 am »

quote:

quote:
Originally posted by jne

Bwhahahahahahaha

[Tongue]

Except for the Starbucks on Brookside, in Utica Square and in the Crowne Plaza Hotel. I prefer Topeka anyway.
jne
Philanthropist

« Reply #49 on: January 17, 2009, 12:30:54 pm »

You can keep all the Starbucks down South, I don't mind a bit, I already have to drive by plenty to get to better coffee shops.  I called some soc friend to tell me where the DnB was - we sent as scout actually who confirmed that it was stupid packed and not worth trying.  We ended up making a quick stop at the White Owl, also stupid packed before eating dinner and drinking at Kilkenny's for most of the evening.  Guess it will be a while before I head South.

Vote for the two party system!
-one one Friday and one on Saturday.
Hawkins
« Reply #50 on: January 17, 2009, 04:02:10 pm »

Well it is packed right now, because everyone wants to try the new thing in town.

Tulsa is like that, it will be several months before Dave and Buster's actually can determine whether or not their new business model (the smaller location size) is a gamble that will pay off long term.

The location, behind Best Buy, is NOT very Tulsa oriented. Tulsans like direct routes, and this business is hidden in a corner behind a larger business (Best Buy).

A non-franchise operation attempting this would not survive.

Their corporate way of thinking with this location was that they could get that big D&B's sign up there facing highway 169. That's why they picked the spot they did.

Celebration Station did the same thing when they came to town, but chose a different highway to locate next to.

And they failed.

But 71st and 169 is the hottest spot in town right now. Good hotels, dozens of restaurants, the Imax theatre, and prime shopping.

--

« Last Edit: January 17, 2009, 04:05:27 pm by Hawkins » Logged
TheTed
City Father

« Reply #51 on: January 17, 2009, 05:19:04 pm »

The one in St. Louis is the same way. Right next to I-70 but you have to drive through a labyrinthine mile and a half of winding suburban sprawl to actually get there.

Aa5drvr
« Reply #52 on: January 17, 2009, 08:46:50 pm »

Why dont we just send all that sales tax money to BA and Bixby since south of 51st seems to be so distasteful.
TheArtist
T-Town Elder

« Reply #53 on: January 18, 2009, 11:13:21 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Aa5drvr

Why dont we just send all that sales tax money to BA and Bixby since south of 51st seems to be so distasteful.

And while we are at it, why dont we just put up a fence around downtown, lock it up, throw away the key and walk away from that investment and history? We all know downtowns are not important for a city,,, and who wants our city to have an urban environment to live in? We dont need that to compete with other cites. Plus isnt downtown, ugly, crime ridden, full of bums, and stinky? Lets also just tear down the beautiful historic neighborhoods, buildings and areas in mid-town and build cheap homes, strip malls and parking lots so we can have it just like the mall area? Why put any effort into making it more dense, have proper infill, etc. when it can be just like the wonderful, tax generating mall area? Lets have the whoooooole city just like around 71st and up Memorial. Wont it be a great city then!?

The point is Tulsa should be able to offer all types of areas, a place for all types of lifestyles, incomes, age groups, (urban, suburban, dense, open, old, new, quiet, busy, etc). In some areas we are doing well, in some, not so much. You want the areas that are doing well, to keep doing so, even be better if possible. But you should also want other types of areas to do well and be the best of those types they can be. Thats what makes a city great, competitive, and able to accomodate all kinds of people and the different lives they want to lead. Not everyone likes living in mall sprawl, not everyone likes urban, pedestrian friendly density,, not everyone likes new, not everyone likes old.  

Whenever we try to make Tulsa a "complete" city and improve those areas in which we are not doing so well, or dont even exist... Those people trying to do so should not get hammered for it and told that what the want is bad, nasty, etc. Or we can indeed play that game and everyone fight and point fingers, call names and find fault.  Or like one local preacher on the radio basically said...(cities are evil, suburbs are good).

We should want all the areas of the city, suburban or urban, to be the best they can be.  

But I dont have to be a saint all the time. You pick on my part of town,,, that gives me the right to then pick back and not have you b!tch when I do lol. [Tongue]

"When you only have two pennies left in the world, buy a loaf of bread with one, and a lily with the other."-Chinese proverb. "Arts a staple. Like bread or wine or a warm coat in winter. Those who think it is a luxury have only a fragment of a mind. Mans spirit grows hungry for art in the same way h
Wilbur
« Reply #54 on: January 18, 2009, 08:13:51 pm »

Went to Dave and Busters tonight.

WOW!

Totally unimpressed.  Lets start off with them being out of just about every beer they have.  The bartender kept apologizing saying they were really busy last night.  I don't care.  The bar manager doesn't let a bar run out of nearly every beer they are supposed to stock.  No Bass.  No Guinness.  No Stella.  No Newcastle.  No Dos Equis, No ......

The entire place is really loud because of the games, which tends to attract too many kids.

The menu looked good, but we didn't stick around long enough to try the food.  One beer (settled on a Corona) and we left.  I'll try the place again in a couple weeks after they get settled in, but they have some ground to make up with me.

Hard to beat my neighborhood favorite Louie's!  Good beer (Bass is my beer of choice) and good food.
citizen72
Civic Leader

« Reply #55 on: January 18, 2009, 10:49:59 pm »

quote:

quote:

My crowd feels overall Louie's is superior. Especially the food.

What is Louie's??

Nice little sports bar/restaurant just west of Sheridan on 101st Street. They have some pretty good food and nice atmosphere. Good place to go if a group just wants to visit.

^^^^^

"Never a skillful sailor made who always sailed calm seas."
sabasushi
Citizen

« Reply #56 on: January 19, 2009, 05:18:39 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by T Badd

Compared to the D&Bs in Dallas, Denver and Boulder (Louisville), this thing is really tiny. (rest deleted)

Sorry to nitpick, but as a former Westminster resident, I feel the need to point out that one of these D&B is in *Westminster*, not Boulder/Louisville. But I can understand the confusion what with all these suburbs along the 36 highway. :-)

But having said that, it's cool that Tulsa is getting its own D&B.

-- Angeli, Houston, TX

-- Angeli, Houston, TX
T Badd
« Reply #57 on: January 20, 2009, 05:52:23 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by sabasushi

quote:
Originally posted by T Badd

Compared to the D&Bs in Dallas, Denver and Boulder (Louisville), this thing is really tiny. (rest deleted)

Sorry to nitpick, but as a former Westminster resident, I feel the need to point out that one of these D&B is in *Westminster*, not Boulder/Louisville. But I can understand the confusion what with all these suburbs along the 36 highway. :-)

But having said that, it's cool that Tulsa is getting its own D&B.

-- Angeli, Houston, TX

You're exactly right! I'd expect to remember better, since I used to live in Westminster (off Lowell) and used to drive past D&B's every day when it and the rest of the buildings (skating arena, hotel) were building built. It's been a while. Bet I wouldn't even recognize 36 anymore.

I liked the Denver D&B's best. Their full-immersion multi-player VR pods were a lot of fun for a group.
tnt091605
« Reply #58 on: January 21, 2009, 10:45:38 pm »

We ate at D&B this past Sunday.  Arrived at 11:15.  We were seated as soon as we arrived.  Waited about 20 minutes and nobody showed up to even take our drink order.  I saw the people next to us looking around and still had their menus with no drinks.  I looked behind us and there were several servers standing around talking.  I waited a few more minutes and went to the front and informed the hostess that nobody has waited on us.  A few minutes later a waitress shows up and we inform her that the other people were here first.  She looks over and says, I will be with you in a minute.  Then proceeds to take our order.  Then another waitress walks up and they get into a discussion on who is going to wait on us and the other table.  Kind of bad for first impressions.  

The food was excellent.  Hot and very tasty.  I tried some of my wife's black jack chicken.  

It was so good we went back on Monday.  Wanted to get some more of that chicken.  Arrived and were again seated right away.  Service was really slow even though there was a ratio of employees to customers of about 1 to 3.  If they are running that much labor they should be able to provide excellent service.  Food was very slow to come out and it was cold.  I wonder if it sat there before our server brought it to us.  He was not very good.  Friendly but not good at waiting tables.  He only had 3 and our glasses were empty a lot.  Gave him our credit card and he was gone for 20 minutes.  

This D&B is really small compared to the rest of them.  

If they want to be there long they better figure out their logistics.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org