A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 09:30:48 am
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Hipper and Livelier?  (Read 19849 times)
sgrizzle
Kung Fu Treachery
T-Town Elder

Inconceivable!

« Reply #15 on: December 16, 2008, 07:23:09 am »

I believe the refinery land was considered out-of-scope due to the fact the refineries were immobile.

Of course, now it looks like the Sunoco refinery is going to shut down...
sgrizzle
Kung Fu Treachery
T-Town Elder

Inconceivable!

« Reply #16 on: December 16, 2008, 09:48:19 am »

quote:
Originally posted by inteller

quote:
Originally posted by dsjeffries

My & TURobY's table had people from all over the city, of varying backgrounds and ethnicities, even a Tulsa newbie, and they all wanted what Fregonese has pointed out.

that is just your observation.  I want to see the actual demographic makeup of these workshops.  That has been carefully hidden throughout this entire project.

You can't hide what you didn't gather.
Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

I might be moving to Anguilla soon...

« Reply #17 on: December 16, 2008, 09:53:27 am »

quote:
Originally posted by sgrizzle

quote:

quote:

My & TURobY's table had people from all over the city, of varying backgrounds and ethnicities, even a Tulsa newbie, and they all wanted what Fregonese has pointed out.

that is just your observation.  I want to see the actual demographic makeup of these workshops.  That has been carefully hidden throughout this entire project.

Let's not let facts get in the way of that now!

[:O]

Libertarianism is a system of beliefs for people who think adolescence is the epitome of human achievement.

Global warming isn't real because it was cold today.  Also great news: world famine is over because I just ate - Stephen Colbert.

Somebody find Guido an ambulance to chase...
grahambino
« Reply #18 on: December 16, 2008, 10:35:16 am »

quote:

quote:

my table:

South Tulsa, an affluent, advanced degree holding white male, aged 60
North Tulsa - native american or latino woman, maybe 35-45, homemaker.
East Tulsa - a husband & wife, white. I think he was a minister.  They were around 60-65.
Midtown (x2) - a 29 year old (me)
another was around 32 or 33.  
Both of us have college degrees, both white.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2008, 10:37:20 am by grahambino » Logged
sgrizzle
Kung Fu Treachery
T-Town Elder

Inconceivable!

« Reply #19 on: December 16, 2008, 01:14:51 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Hoss

quote:

quote:

quote:

I don't remember filling out 32/Male/Caucasian on anything during the workshops. I didn't even give my name or address for one of the times I did a map.

What demographics are they using?
Double A
Sofa King Banned
City Father

« Reply #20 on: December 16, 2008, 07:02:02 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Hoss

quote:

quote:

quote:

Following that logic, PlaniTulsa shouldn't be claiming that the workshop participants were diverse from across all parts of the city, either.

I mean, you can't show what you didn't gather, but let's not let facts get in the way of that now.

« Last Edit: December 16, 2008, 07:02:50 pm by Double A » Logged

<center>
</center>
The clash of ideas is the sound of freedom. Ars Longa, Vita Brevis!
sgrizzle
Kung Fu Treachery
T-Town Elder

Inconceivable!

« Reply #21 on: December 17, 2008, 10:22:04 am »

quote:

There was no sticker for "low density residential nimby buffer zone"

C'mon, not even a chuckle for that?
carltonplace
Historic Artifact
City Father

« Reply #22 on: December 17, 2008, 11:09:31 am »

^ I drew that in with my green marker and then circled inteller's house.
Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #23 on: December 17, 2008, 03:20:38 pm »

quote:

quote:

How can you guide people to the politically correct solution if you allow other choices?

TURobY
Social Butterfly
City Father

« Reply #24 on: December 17, 2008, 03:32:53 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Red Arrow

quote:

quote:

How can you guide people to the politically correct solution if you allow other choices?

You mean options such as "Large Lot Residential" and "Single-Family Housing Subdivisions"?

---Robert
RecycleMichael
truth teller
T-Town Elder

« Reply #25 on: December 17, 2008, 03:48:36 pm »

I missed the three big city-wide meetings, but did attend one of the small area workshops. I was at one of the four tables that participated.

They allowed us to turn the colored paper pieces over and write whatever we wanted.

We came up with a light rail/urban trolley/ commuter shuttle station to be part of our New EastLand Event Center.

Power is nothing till you use it.
Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #26 on: December 17, 2008, 04:26:40 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by TURobY

You mean options such as "Large Lot Residential" and "Single-Family Housing Subdivisions"?

They are obviously not popular choices with the "in-crowd", especially for downtown and midtown infill, but they are options. I have been taught that during brainstorming sessions that no idea should be immediately rejected. Another idea may spring from it. Rejecting unfit ideas is for later sessions.

Having an area of large lots (approx 1 acre) in outlying areas within city limits could have caused some of the 4 to 5 house per acre developments to have been in town in-fill instead. Then maybe the S.E. Tulsa traffic problem would not exist (by a factor of at least 1/2).  The multitude of 2 lane streets would be sufficient as they were 30 years ago. Downtown and mid-town would be more dense. Suburban areas would be in denser nodes along a few arterials rather than along all of them as now exists. An effective public transit system from the suburbs would be more possible. The dozens of areas of big-box stores could not be supported by the low density housing.  I am not saying that this would have been the result only by requiring big lots. I am saying that by immediately rejecting big lots that you have guaranteed that it could not happen.

TURobY
Social Butterfly
City Father

« Reply #27 on: December 17, 2008, 05:40:23 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Red Arrow

quote:

They are obviously not popular choices with the "in-crowd", especially for downtown and midtown infill, but they are options. I have been taught that during brainstorming sessions that no idea should be immediately rejected. Another idea may spring from it. Rejecting unfit ideas is for later sessions.

Having an area of large lots (approx 1 acre) in outlying areas within city limits could have caused some of the 4 to 5 house per acre developments to have been in town in-fill instead. Then maybe the S.E. Tulsa traffic problem would not exist (by a factor of at least 1/2).  The multitude of 2 lane streets would be sufficient as they were 30 years ago. Downtown and mid-town would be more dense. Suburban areas would be in denser nodes along a few arterials rather than along all of them as now exists. An effective public transit system from the suburbs would be more possible. The dozens of areas of big-box stores could not be supported by the low density housing.  I am not saying that this would have been the result only by requiring big lots. I am saying that by immediately rejecting big lots that you have guaranteed that it could not happen.

No, I was saying that they were available options in the planning meetings. Our table actually utilized them in areas of South Tulsa and East Tulsa, understanding that people who originally moved to those areas wanted that type of development.

"Large Lot Residential" and "Single-Family Housing Subdivisions" options existed and were utilized in the planning meetings.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2008, 05:42:31 pm by TURobY » Logged

---Robert
Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #28 on: December 17, 2008, 06:16:13 pm »

quote:

No, I was saying that they were available options in the planning meetings.

"Large Lot Residential" and "Single-Family Housing Subdivisions" options existed and were utilized in the planning meetings.

I misunderstood their availability.  I guess I missed something somewhere.

TheArtist
T-Town Elder

« Reply #29 on: December 18, 2008, 08:51:06 am »

We had large lot, single residential etc. in our packet. They were used mostly in empty areas of East Tulsa, North Tulsa and some in West Tulsa. Though we did trade a few of those for more dense development types. I guess most of us figured South Tulsa was doing ok in that department already lol. One of our thoughts was to encourage "urban village" type development nodes in North Tulsa and East Tulsa, and around those the lower density housing. With the hope that both types would reinforce the other, and that future infill and redevelopment would spread outward from those nodes.

« Last Edit: December 18, 2008, 08:56:10 am by TheArtist » Logged

"When you only have two pennies left in the world, buy a loaf of bread with one, and a lily with the other."-Chinese proverb. "Arts a staple. Like bread or wine or a warm coat in winter. Those who think it is a luxury have only a fragment of a mind. Mans spirit grows hungry for art in the same way h
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org