A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 11:18:52 am
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Moving to Tulsa  (Read 9952 times)
brianh
« Reply #30 on: November 14, 2008, 04:23:25 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Cyraelea

Thanks so much for responses! I didn't think another "moving to tulsa" post would get so interesting. [Tongue] For those who are concerned about the weather scaring me off, I was living in NOLA for Katrina. 'Nough said. What I'm REALLY interested in is any apartments or condos that are stellar (as stellar as an apartment can be) that isn't too pricy (under 650 for a one bedroom) and especially any places for me to check out while I'm there.

As I said, I'm from New Orleans and I'm really interested in the more cultural aspects of Tulsa. Funky coffee shops, parks, museums, etc. And if anyone could recommend a chill bar that would be great too. I'm more of a pub gal than a wine bar one. A list of the best ethnic eaterys and those that serve the regional fare (barbeque if I'm not mistaken?) will be welcome.

Thanks again! I've gotten some really great leads and am now informed about every significant weather event in the last twenty years. [Wink] Tulsans seem to be very welcoming and I look forward to meeting some!

I haven't tried this out yet, but at Kilkenny's Irish Pub you can get an Irish coffee(whiskey and coffee) and practice two cultural activities at once.
cannon_fodder
All around good guy.
T-Town Elder

« Reply #31 on: November 14, 2008, 05:37:56 pm »

Wow, we spent 2 pages going over the weather and you bring up local restaurants.  You're a glutton for pain!

FOOD

The local fair would probably be BBQ.  Wilson's is my particular favorite with a location near midtown (11th and Harvard) and one on the north side.  Some people really like Albert G's at Harvard and 28th.  Also Oklahoma Style BBQ is pretty good.  They are family owned "authentic" restaurants.  Nothing fancy (Albert G's is the most expensive of them, Wilson's probably my favorite).

Tulsa also offers a good number of Lebanese steak houses for some reason. Like any "ethnic" steak house, it's just a steak house with a slight twist.  "Eddie's" on 31st is an interesting experience.   We also have a world class Vietnamese (crap, or is it Thai?) chef and many good Thai/Vietnamese restaurants.  Why you will surely not be thrilled with the sea food in Tulsa coming from NO, we offer several good sea food places - Bodeans and White River Fish Market foremost in my mind.  And for some reason Midtown and Downtown Tulsa have to be up there on the list of per-capita sushi bars.  We even have a no-thrills sushi restaurant that is reasonable enough for families (The Sushi Train!).

Of course we offer a decent selection of fine dining.  It will not compete with the 5 star old world style of many of the place in New Orleans - but the prices will not either.  Wild Fork is a modern dining experience, Polo Club nearby is more reserved, the Chalkboard downtown is a beef-wellington 4-star type place, Mahoganies is a top notch (and top priced) steakhouse in town.

Lets not forget the pizza places.  Oh the debates.  The normal contenders for best pie in town are:  The Pie Hole (just as the name describes, ate there last night), Hideaway Pizza (loved by visitors for some reason), and Lumburtos (Nigerian moves from NYC and opens a pizza shop in Oklahoma). Let's not forget Joe Mamma's - which isn't open in Tulsa yet (there is one in a suburb) but will be downtown soon.

Then you got Mexican food.  El Toro and Rio Verde are my favorite mexican places in town.  El Guapo downtown is a good change up and they have rooftop dining.  There is no shortage of family owned Mexican places.

Coffee shops... my three favorite coffee shops in town are Double Shot near 21st and Boston, The Collective at 11th and Harvard-ish, and (brain fart) the one in the Mayo building downtown near Cheyenne and 5th.   Doubleshot is the most "coffee shop" of the three with bags of beans sitting around waiting to be roasted.  The Collective is a bar/bistro/cafe chill type place across from the University of Tulsa.

Chill bars you say.  The four main bar districts are Brookside, Cherry Street, the Blue Dome and the Brady (the 2 former in midtown, the latter downtown).  5-8 bars in each area and at least one chill bar in each.  The Blue Moon Cafe (I recommend dueling piano night), the Brook, Kilkenny's, McNellies pub, Bostons, Grey Snail, The Collective, plenty of chill bars from college bars, wine bars, etc. Keep in mind many bars may have a band and be a little wild one night, and be pretty calm the next.

I left out the chains, but I should mention some regional chains.  Rib Crib is a modification of a steak house.  A little more home style and quiet than Texas Roadhouse or the like.  Mazzio's is a Pizza Hut like place.  And Braum's is a burger joint that is just a step above national places for quality (burgers taste like beef).  Braum's also has "neighborhood markets" that have fresh produce, diary, ice cream, and other food items you might need.  Damn glad one is within walking distance of my house.  

If you want the same ole' same ole' you'll find those here too.  Pei Wei, PF Changs, Melting Pot, whatever the trending chain upscale places are.  We even have McDonalds...

While on the subject of food/local things, I should mention that Quick Trip is the unofficial official store in Tulsa.  It is a gas station chain started and Hq'd in Tulsa that now stretches over the Midwest.  Fast, clean, decent prices, did I mention fast?  Learn to love it.
- - -

Stuff to do

There is plenty of culture in Tulsa to enjoy. The Philbrook museum of art (and the grounds!).  The Gilcrease museum of the America's.  Jewish museum of art.  Brady arts district.  Art all around!

There is a growing wine industry in Oklahoma.  While you may not be here for the prime growing/harvest season, you can still travel to a few of them in one Saturday and sample/buy some good regional wines.  I picked up a case in Stroud (40 minutes west of Tulsa) yesterday (mixed case: 2 red zin, 2 cab, 1 Merlot, 1 odd mixture that seemed tastey).

We have many musical acts coming to venues large (BOk center), medium (Brady theater), and small (Caines, and many bars).  University of Tulsa and Oral Roberts University are worth walking around the campuses, lectures, and events.  Both have D-IA basketball teams and both have a good shot of playing in the NCAA tournament this year.  Expo Square often has something going on.  Tulsa Performing Arts center is home to our world class Ballet, an Opera, and a Symphony - not too mention theater companies and traveling performances.  You can always go to the zoo, the aquarium, etc.  You'll be in town for Mayfest, the Blue Dome Arts festival... Always something to do if you pay attention.

Or take a day trip to OKC to see the memorial, Brick Town (San Antonio river walk / 10), OU campus, their arboretum, the State Capital Building.  Or head north to the Tall Grass prairie.  In the summer there are plenty of large lakes within an hour of Tulsa, find someone with a boat and tag along, go camping at the state parks, hiking, horse riding, or just go for a drive.  
- - -

I bought a house when I moved here, thus my apartment help is lacking.  I can help with locations but not specific landlords etc.  For $650 it might be hard in the areas you are talking about, but I can be proven wrong.

When in doubt, ask.  Tulsa is a mix of Midwestern friendliness, Southern Hospitality, and Southwest Independence without the Texas superiority complex ([Tongue]).  Let us know how we can help.

- - - - - - - - -
I crush grooves.
sauerkraut
City Father

I Conquered The 2013 -2015 Polar Bear Plunge!!

« Reply #32 on: November 15, 2008, 10:11:20 am »

Housing and rents are some of the lowest in the nation in Tulsa. There are web sites that compair city cost of living indexs. Tulsa has alot to do, The city is working on re-building a jogging trail along the river, Jenks has a big fish bowl that they say is quite a thrill to visit, I have never been to that yet but would like to see it. Tulsa has just about everything you could need or want from night clubs to restaurants. The only thing that could be improved IMO is the supermarket stores, the city is lacking a bit in that department. Welcome to Tulsa! You'll love it![8D]

Proud Global  Warming Deiner! Earth Is Getting Colder NOT Warmer!
guido911
T-Town Elder

« Reply #33 on: November 15, 2008, 10:28:27 am »

quote:
Originally posted by waterboy

The locusts make for good eatin'.

I heard that's a real treat for old people. [Tongue]

Someone get Hoss a pacifier.
Michael71
Civic Leader

« Reply #34 on: December 03, 2008, 10:21:49 am »

quote:
Originally posted by RecycleMichael

Since you are coming from N'Oleans, I was hoping you couild bring me some voodoo dolls. I gots some folks I need to get evens with.

I'll take 2-dozen charbroiled oysters from Drago's please.  My wife & recently moved back to Tulsa from NOLA & I really miss Drago's

--------------------------
"Why be part of the 'brain drain' that gets sucked out of Tulsa...The opportunity IS there, you just gotta make it!!"--Eric Marshall
Michael71
Civic Leader

« Reply #35 on: December 03, 2008, 10:38:11 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Cyraelea

And if anyone could recommend a chill bar that would be great too. I'm more of a pub gal than a wine bar one.....[Wink]

Bars for you..
Cellar Dwellar
Arnie's Bar--great on a Sunday
Rehab Lounge
Bru House
Caz's
Empire

You have to check our new locally-brewed beers called Marshall.  They're great!

--------------------------
"Why be part of the 'brain drain' that gets sucked out of Tulsa...The opportunity IS there, you just gotta make it!!"--Eric Marshall
Cyraelea
« Reply #36 on: December 03, 2008, 02:49:39 pm »

Ah yes Drago's... I actually...don't like seafood. Sad I know, I know! Please don't judge. I'm an outcast in my family. But oysters from Drago's..that doesn't even count! Those are amazing. Mmmm...I haven't had any in a while. I know where I'm going to dinner! Thanks for the responses everyone! You've been more than helpful!
Steve
« Reply #37 on: December 04, 2008, 10:17:22 am »

quote:
Originally posted by TulsaMINI

And along with those locusts, has anyone else been plagued with those crazy camel crickets? I've lived here all my life, and I think they are new to the area or something. They're icky.

Tornadoes and camel crickets. Run! Run far away!!!

I have heard them called "cave crickets," but I think we are both talking about the same thing.  I had a big invasion of these in my house for the first time this year; this was the first year I recall ever seeing them.  They don't make any noise, but hop like mad when chasing one.  The first time I encountered one was walking down my bedroom hallway in the middle of the night, one jumped on my leg and scared me to death!  Through deduction and logic, I pinpointed the source of the invasion to either my laundry room and/or fireplace.  One and a half cans of standard Raid bug killer later, no more cave crickets.  I haven't seen one in my house in about 3 months.  I also sprayed outside around my fireplace and the ash dump access door on the outside.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2008, 10:19:40 am by Steve » Logged
inteller
« Reply #38 on: December 04, 2008, 01:15:37 pm »

i'm being invaded by geckos....hell I didn't even know geckos were present in Oklahoma.  But all the better, geckos love to eat bugs and these particular geckos don't drink coffee and try to offer me insurance.
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org