A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 08:51:33 am
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Ruth's Chris Steak House  (Read 41144 times)
Teatownclown
City Father

Put the "fun" back into dysfunctional, Tulsa!

« Reply #15 on: October 03, 2012, 10:46:36 pm »

I am favorably impressed (no sarcasm, I mean it).  I would not have guessed anywhere near that high.

They are not all full time....and the quality of pay is meh.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2012, 10:48:44 pm by Teatownclown » Logged
Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #16 on: October 03, 2012, 10:53:26 pm »

They are not all full time....and the quality of pay of pay is meh.

A good opportunity for students etc than cannot work full time regular hours.  Pay?  Tips can be good.  When I was fresh out of TU with my Master in Engineering degree, my sister was slinging drinks in a cowboy bar in OKC.  She did work a few more hours (between semesters at OU) than I generally did but she was making as much or more $ than I was.  She used her savings to go to Europe for about 6 months.  

Edit:
A part time job can also provide a way for someone to be part of the downtown scene without spending their own money all the time.  I did the morning clean-up at my favorite bar for a while when I was in the Navy.  For an hour or so per week day, I got the money I spent back at the bar the next night.  I was not a big spender and draught beer was a lot less expensive then.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2012, 11:05:28 pm by Red Arrow » Logged

Teatownclown
City Father

« Reply #17 on: October 03, 2012, 11:00:13 pm »

A good opportunity for students etc than cannot work full time regular hours.  Pay?  Tips can be good.  When I was fresh out of TU with my Master in Engineering degree, my sister was slinging drinks in a cowboy bar in OKC.  She did work a few more hours (between semesters at OU) than I generally did but she was making as much or more $ than I was.  She used her savings to go to Europe for about 6 months. 

Good girl...not leaving student loans behind for you and me and the guy behind the tree....
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #18 on: October 04, 2012, 02:07:22 am »

Let's play a forum game. Let's make a list of restaurants and retailers that have gone out of business in the 71st Street corridor in the last 10 years. Then we'll make a short list of the downtown restaurants and retailers that have gone out.

Meanwhile, in downtown, we've consistently turned empty buildings into revenue generating, Tulsan employing companies. My rough guess is that in the last 10 years in downtown we've added restaurants and retailers that do 30+ million dollars in sales and employ somewhere north of 1200 Tulsans. By the end of this year, Elliot and I alone will have 500 plus employees. Our companies in and around downtown will combine for nearly 20 million in sales.

I can't help but wonder when these types of comments will finally wear out. How many success stories do we need to see in downtown before we believe that it's not a passing fancy?

I got my fingers crossed you are right - about the passing fancy thing.  We also go downtown as often as possible just to see what is happening next.  And eat.

Went to Bricktown (OKC) Tuesday evening and was a little surprised by how many empty buildings there were.  Kind of like Tulsa downtown.  But the OTHER thing about that was also similar to Tulsa - there are still plenty of good, viable businesses doing well, even when there are empty buildings around.  And both downtowns have lots of construction going on - public and private - which would hopefully make for better access, traffic flow, residential availability, etc.

Bottom line, I'm betting you are right about it NOT being a passing fancy.  

BOK center still looks like a crashed spaceship!!

« Last Edit: October 04, 2012, 02:09:19 am by heironymouspasparagus » Logged

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
carltonplace
Historic Artifact
City Father

« Reply #19 on: October 04, 2012, 07:05:09 am »

Nobody said Downtown's a joke, but government subsidization of real estate development is not capitalism.

Sales in the 71st street area are gargantuan...twenty times what downtown contributes to the tax base and all achieved through private enterprise.

I am glad you and Elliots investors have so many employees.

You da man...just leave my tax contributions for higher priorities...

OK, for comparison:
What tax subsidies are Downtown business owners getting that are not in play at 71st?
Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

I might be moving to Anguilla soon...

« Reply #20 on: October 04, 2012, 07:11:48 am »

OK, for comparison:
What tax subsidies are Downtown business owners getting that are not in play at 71st?

He's referring to the Vision2025 projects downtown (rehab of the existing CC, the BOK Center) that is drawing businesses downtown.  Forgetting the fact that the Blue Dome was still doing fairly well before the arena was built.

Libertarianism is a system of beliefs for people who think adolescence is the epitome of human achievement.

Global warming isn't real because it was cold today.  Also great news: world famine is over because I just ate - Stephen Colbert.

Somebody find Guido an ambulance to chase...
rdj
City Father

« Reply #21 on: October 04, 2012, 07:44:35 am »

Don't be surprised if Ruth's Chris ends up in South Tulsa rather than downtown.  The 91st & Yale corner is highly attractive for national chains with the announcement of Whole Foods.  It's like flies to the dung.

Live Generous.  Live Blessed.
zstyles
Philanthropist

« Reply #22 on: October 04, 2012, 08:08:54 am »

Hasn't anyone watched Resturant impossible...come on! If those people can even own a resturant and lose money for years, than someone who is even half as smart can make a million..no billion..no zilllllion...dollars...mwwahahahahaha

I have some great resturant ideas I just am not stupid when I look at the metrics that go into percentages of restaurants that FAIL consistently no matter WHERE they are located...

carltonplace
Historic Artifact
City Father

« Reply #23 on: October 04, 2012, 09:51:22 am »

He's referring to the Vision2025 projects downtown (rehab of the existing CC, the BOK Center) that is drawing businesses downtown.  Forgetting the fact that the Blue Dome was still doing fairly well before the arena was built.

Oh! I see. Indirect tax benefits!

Kind of like an 8 lane 71st St and and an 8 lane highway 169 paid for by tax payers?

Yes, those downtown business owners sure are beholden to the tax payers.
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #24 on: October 04, 2012, 09:53:00 am »

Nobody said Downtown's a joke, but government subsidization of real estate development is not capitalism.

Sales in the 71st street area are gargantuan...twenty times what downtown contributes to the tax base and all achieved through private enterprise.

I am glad you and Elliots investors have so many employees.

You da man...just leave my tax contributions for higher priorities...

Those people on 71st Street didn't build that.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
DTowner
City Father

« Reply #25 on: October 04, 2012, 10:08:49 am »

With Prhyme Steakhouse already preparing to open downtown, it would not surprise me if RC opened somewhere out south (definitely not at 61st and Yale between Mahagony and McGill's).  From what I've heard, Place One was recruiting RC, but the longer it drags on without an announcement the less likley it seems RC will be a tenant.

In the what's new department - TTC keeps beating a dead horse.  While all public subsidies effect private development, I would argue that Tulsa's quality of life was much more improved by the BOK Center, OneOk Field and the Convention Center remodel than the building of 169, the Creek Turnpike and numerous road widening projects in south Tulsa.  Some prefer the strip mall, big box store, chain culture of the 71st St. corridor.  More power to them.  I prefer what's happening downtown.  But you can't deny both areas are the beneficiaries of certain public investments that have helped spur private development.  So you can't criticize downtown development as subsidy driven while praising the glories of the 71st St. corridor as some paragon to free market economics.
Teatownclown
City Father

« Reply #26 on: October 04, 2012, 12:15:02 pm »

Dtowner: You can't put false wording in my mouth....I will just spew it back on you. Again, I am not down on downtown. I just think people need to be more careful as opposed to greedy. I fear for Elote because their newest concept has vaulted them into the possibility of losing money. I fear for Juniper because Justin has steaked another claim in the Brady. I worry too many restaurants chasing too few dollars might erode all the good choices as they may eventually be forced to close. What was the name of the Mayo Hotel eatery that everyone was ga ga over when it opened? Open your eyes people. I am addressing this thread....not the entirety of downtown. Of course, my suggestions go ignored on Downtown like adding more residences for retirees and older folks.

And here's another point: The east end is a puzzle of properties that in their collective acreage could offer up a needed user in the area with outparcels and mixed use flexibility. This would mean cooperative investors getting everyone to agree to street closings, utility relocation, grading, etc. in order to prepare the site for a ready and willing user. The Home Depot site lent itself to becoming a developable tract through cohesive planning. Seems to me the land owners in the east end are reactive rather than proactive. What's happening with the Bill White land?

Also, the Stan Lybarger comments in TW this morning were right on. Who the f is fighting the assessment district?
« Last Edit: October 04, 2012, 12:20:22 pm by Admin » Logged
Teatownclown
City Father

« Reply #27 on: October 04, 2012, 12:19:14 pm »

Oh! I see. Indirect tax benefits!

Kind of like an 8 lane 71st St and and an 8 lane highway 169 paid for by tax payers?

Yes, those downtown business owners sure are beholden to the tax payers.

Hmmm.... let's see...Highways lead to street widening....street widening adds to growth...school districts benefit....better schools lead to more demand...more demand increases traffic....traffic adds to sales... a self perpetuating economy.

Now, what's missing in downtown?
Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #28 on: October 04, 2012, 12:20:12 pm »

What was the name of the Mayo Hotel eatery that everyone was ga ga over when it opened? Open your eyes people.

Trula's downfall was a drop in quality.  It was not a lack of available business.

Let's look into this.  Does anyone else agree with Teatownclown's posts about downtown getting too much to do?
Teatownclown
City Father

« Reply #29 on: October 04, 2012, 12:31:21 pm »

Trula's downfall was a drop in quality.  It was not a lack of available business.

Let's look into this.  Does anyone else agree with Teatownclown's posts about downtown getting too much to do?

Too much to dew? what? They have no plan...it's helter skelter down there....except for KFF...they have the money and hence some control. Get it yet?
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org