A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 03:43:15 am
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Karen Keith sets the record straight  (Read 6369 times)
sgrizzle
Kung Fu Treachery
T-Town Elder

Inconceivable!

« Reply #30 on: November 04, 2008, 08:47:43 am »

quote:
Originally posted by tim huntzinger

In the interest of fairness, Bates has responded to Keith's response on his blog.

I sure have noticed a lot of John Sullivan/Karen Keith yard sign combos around town . . .

I saw a Sally Bell/ Karen Keith combo this morning. Not sure if it's a "house divided" thing or just an uneducated voter.
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #31 on: November 04, 2008, 09:09:42 am »

quote:

From Batesline:

"Furthermore, would Karen Keith unequivocally commit that she would not send a tax for amenities to the voters? Sally Bell has.

She has danced around this issue, by saying that the final decision belongs to the voters. But the voters can only give a thumbs up or thumbs down on whatever package the County Commissioners choose to send to them. Tax votes are expensive: Expensive for the county election board, expensive for the proponents, and expensive and time consuming for the opponents. Putting a tax on the ballot is not a neutral act. Surely Keith understands that."

By Bell refusing to send any referendum to the voters on personal principle of "no new taxes" wouldn't that equate to totalitarianism which most definitely is not a hallmark of any Republican philosophy I'm familiar with (excepting the Bush II admin [}:)] )?  Do we want one official deciding what is and isn't best for us without letting the consituents decide?

Personally, I never said we shouldn't vote on a River Tax, but I did say many times it was hurried through and was not ready for a vote when it was presented.  A package of that magnititude simply can not be rushed to a vote in four or five months.

I wasn't a proponent of V-2025 by any stretch but look what all we have gotten from it.  I think it's gone a long way to advance our county.  Personally, my family has benefitted from some of the higher education improvements which came from it, the company I work for has gotten some work from it as a result, and we have all personally benefitted from new public gathering places and community centers.

If there are amenities which would make Tulsa more liveable or could stimulate economic activity (i.e. better higher ed facilities, infrastructure development, etc) and has been well thought-out, it should be brought to a vote of the people.

Is Bates endorsing totalitarianism?  

Now semi thread drift- slap on the knuckles to both campaigns, the BA expressway from 15th St. to the IDL is littered with Bell & Keith  campaign signs on the median and the shoulders.  The Bell camp seems to be the worst offender on this.

Would anyone else be upset with a stiff fine for placing signs on public R-O-W, like $500 per sign to be billed to the offending campaign?  Placing signs in the median creates a hazard for whomever is dumb enough to run across three lanes with a pile of signs.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
waterboy
« Reply #32 on: November 04, 2008, 09:24:49 am »

I wouldn't support a fine like that. Its sort of a tradition and a minor inconvenience.

I would support a fee that would be levied against all candidates who use push in signs. The fee would amount to 10% of their print run. The proceeds would be used to pay for sign pickup on ROW's.
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #33 on: November 04, 2008, 09:42:16 am »

quote:
Originally posted by sgrizzle

quote:
Originally posted by tim huntzinger

In the interest of fairness, Bates has responded to Keith's response on his blog.

I sure have noticed a lot of John Sullivan/Karen Keith yard sign combos around town . . .

I saw a Sally Bell/ Karen Keith combo this morning. Not sure if it's a "house divided" thing or just an uneducated voter.

Could have been a duplex....

Saw an Obama/McCain one a week or so back.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org