A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 04:34:40 pm
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Brookside  (Read 106126 times)
Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #210 on: September 15, 2022, 09:18:46 am »

Claud's has been in business since 1954 but their Brookside location didn't happen until 1965 when they bought the Van's Hamburgers location there:

That stretch of Peoria sure has changed since then.

https://goo.gl/maps/qJQ4nbV7MXJbRbN88

swake
T-Town Elder

« Reply #211 on: September 15, 2022, 10:00:13 am »

Claud's has been in business since 1954 but their Brookside location didn't happen until 1965 when they bought the Van's Hamburgers location there:

Before that they were on Admiral. I'm not sure when Van's opened on Brookside (they had other locations) but I think it was the mid 1950's (the city claims the building was built in 1955 but they aren't very accurate on older stuff). Shame that Claud's doesn't redo the original Van's sign with neon and such (since it's still there) and ditch that 60's-era (?) sign they have now. I think their current sign should have a lantern on top as signs from that era are prone to.

Bonus - the old Claud's sign before the current one:

Is now at Ron's Hamburgers in Skiatook

Wow, good finds. Thanks
tulsabug
Civic Leader

« Reply #212 on: September 15, 2022, 12:40:05 pm »

That stretch of Peoria sure has changed since then.

https://goo.gl/maps/qJQ4nbV7MXJbRbN88

Indeed - the dirt roads were certainly charming! It's amazing how Brookside in the early 50's was waaaaaay out in the boonies.

Interestingly the building next to Claud's is still there but just has a different canopy around it and the windows on the side seem to be blocked off. The Brown's Auto Service that was there became Brown Volkswagen - the first VW dealership in town. They moved down Brookside a bit to 4212 S Peoria - that building is still there but the 2nd floor has been lopped off. I'll update this post with some pics later today.
swake
T-Town Elder

« Reply #213 on: September 15, 2022, 02:28:28 pm »

My grandparents lived in Brookside for 60 years. They moved to 36th St near Utica in the mid 1940s and back then 36th was a dirt road and ended two doors down from their house. They were at the very edge of town.
Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #214 on: September 15, 2022, 04:11:38 pm »

My grandparents lived in Brookside for 60 years. They moved to 36th St near Utica in the mid 1940s and back then 36th was a dirt road and ended two doors down from their house. They were at the very edge of town.

My 1971 Phillips 66 street map of Tulsa (& OKC) only goes as far south as 71st Street plus a tiny bit.

shavethewhales
Philanthropist

« Reply #215 on: January 18, 2023, 10:33:59 am »

Anyone know the story behind Holy Moses Brewing? It's been under construction for a couple of years on the south end of Brookside. Looks like they made slow but steady progress for about a year and a half, but the last update was from last April. Anyone happen to know if they are still alive? Apparently covid/supply chain issues really hampered them. Bad timing...
SXSW
City Father

« Reply #216 on: January 18, 2023, 02:03:34 pm »

https://www.kjrh.com/news/local-news/tulsas-brookside-sees-big-changes-coming-in-new-year

Interested to know more about the BOK at 33rd.  I've heard rumors of a boutique hotel with a restaurant and a BOK branch remaining on the ground floor. 

tulsabug
Civic Leader

« Reply #217 on: January 19, 2023, 05:01:05 am »

Anyone know the story behind Holy Moses Brewing? It's been under construction for a couple of years on the south end of Brookside. Looks like they made slow but steady progress for about a year and a half, but the last update was from last April. Anyone happen to know if they are still alive? Apparently covid/supply chain issues really hampered them. Bad timing...

Sounds like any project I do on my house!  Grin
Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #218 on: January 19, 2023, 10:26:15 am »

Sounds like any project I do on my house!  Grin

The last 10% of any project always takes 90% of the time.   Grin

SXSW
City Father

« Reply #219 on: July 17, 2023, 12:35:39 pm »

The developers of the BOK site at 33rd & Peoria are seeking a rezoning to MX.  I'm hearing mixed-use apartment/restaurant/retail with a BOK branch still operating on the ground floor.

patric
T-Town Elder

These Aren't the Droids You're Looking For

« Reply #220 on: July 29, 2023, 08:29:09 am »

The developers of the BOK site at 33rd & Peoria are seeking a rezoning to MX.  I'm hearing mixed-use apartment/restaurant/retail with a BOK branch still operating on the ground floor.

TULSA, Okla. — Right along the Restless Ribbon at 33rd and Peoria, The Bank of Oklahoma building has sat empty for several years.

Elliot Nelson’s development group, Fishless Desert, is proposing a four-story apartment complex with space for retail and restaurants. Nelson is a well-known
entrepreneur in the Tulsa area, who brought the city McNellie’s and several other restaurants and properties.

Jody Rogers lives in the cul de sac behind the bank and is one of half-dozen neighbors who sent a letter of concern to the city.
Rogers would be most impacted because a two-story parking garage would flank her backyard. Unreasonable, she said, because there’s not a building in Brookside over two stories.

« Last Edit: July 29, 2023, 08:30:40 am by patric » Logged

"Tulsa will lay off police and firemen before we will cut back on unnecessarily wasteful streetlights."  -- March 18, 2009 TulsaNow Forum
dbacksfan 2.0
City Father

« Reply #221 on: July 30, 2023, 10:36:24 am »

More details from KJRH

TULSA, Okla. — Next week, the Tulsa Planning Commission is set to take up whether to rezone the space for a mixed-use development.

Elliot Nelson’s development group, Fishless Desert, is proposing a four-story apartment complex with space for retail and restaurants. Nelson is a well-known entrepreneur in the Tulsa area, who brought the city McNellie’s and several other restaurants and properties.

Jody Rogers lives in the cul de sac behind the bank and is one of half-dozen neighbors who sent a letter of concern to the city.

“We aren’t afraid of progress,” she said. “We want progress in Brookside, but this seems a little bit unreasonable.”

Unreasonable, she said, because there’s not a building in Brookside over two stories. The original plan called for five stories, but after hearing from concerned neighbors, developers lowered it to four stories. Living directly behind the bank, Rogers would be most impacted because a two-story parking garage would flank her backyard.

Neighbors on the street over (33rd) are concerned as well. 2 News spoke with another neighbor via text who is concerned about parking and traffic in the congested entertainment area that is already lacking parking.

“Both sides of the streets there is parking for the restaurants,” Rogers explained. “It’s hard for cars to get by.”

In a recent meeting with the developer, Rogers said the developer admitted there wouldn’t be adequate parking for the complex with 60 units.

“[It] would cover 1.5 cars for a two-bedroom, three-bedroom apartment, that doesn’t work,” she said.

Both neighbors told 2 News the City of Tulsa would need to install a traffic light in the area to avoid a traffic nightmare.

Rogers said she appreciated the developers’ transparency and willingness to listen. Nelson told us Tulsa is short on housing in every price point and is wanting to meet the needs of Tulsa in a respectful way.

https://www.kjrh.com/news/local-news/vacant-brookside-bank-property-up-for-rezoning-for-mixed-use
« Last Edit: July 30, 2023, 10:38:33 am by dbacksfan 2.0 » Logged
buffalodan
Activist

« Reply #222 on: July 30, 2023, 12:45:56 pm »

It sounds like everything I would want in an apartment complex. Actual mixed use building, located in a transit corridor where parking is limited, near bars, restaurants, and close to grocery stores. We currently walk about a half mile to reasors a few times a week for shopping. I could easily do my shopping at trader joes and keep that same walk.

I get the nimbyism and that this is a bit bigger than what they were probably wanting. But I think this will be great for the area.
SXSW
City Father

« Reply #223 on: August 03, 2023, 08:30:39 am »

Did the rezoning for 33rd & Peoria (BOK site) get approved yesterday? 

Urban Enthusiast
Activist

« Reply #224 on: August 03, 2023, 08:56:43 am »

Did the rezoning for 33rd & Peoria (BOK site) get approved yesterday?  

Yes, it was approved.
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org