A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 12:26:09 pm
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 16   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Brookside  (Read 105026 times)
RecycleMichael
truth teller
T-Town Elder

« Reply #135 on: March 07, 2018, 09:05:27 am »

This map sucks. Where is the Mid East?

Are we afraid of properly naming it that because there is always tension there?

Power is nothing till you use it.
TulsaGoldenHurriCAN
City Father

« Reply #136 on: May 11, 2018, 10:37:35 am »

Coffee, cocktails and carnations: Husband, wife team up for new concept on Brookside

It will be called Foolish Things Bar and Biscuit

With close to a dozen years of combined business acumen between them, husband and wife entrepreneurs Justin and Katie Carpenter have proven they are adept at many things.

Standing still, however, isn’t among them.

“We’re not very good at relaxing, which is a good or a bad thing depending on how you look at it,” she said. “But we just love what we do. If we’re not working, we’re talking about work or talking about other conversations we’ve had with other business owners or where we are in the process. It kind of never stops for us.”

The new cost for doing business in Tulsa.
For those who care about business and this community, we have a deal for you. Start a digital subscription for only $0.99. Sign up now at tulsaworld.com/subscribe.

Staying in character, Justin Carpenter, owner of Foolish Things Coffee Co., and Katie Carpenter, co-owner of Ever Something, an event/wedding planning/floral shop, are planning a new venture in the Brookside area.

Foolish Things Bar & Biscuit will incorporate coffee, cocktails, food and flowers at 3524F S. Peoria Ave. in Center 1. It is expected to open around October, the couple said.

“We’re kind of excited to bring both of our passions together and present a new experience, honestly, for Tulsa,” Katie Carpenter said this week during an interview at Foolish Things Coffee Co., 1001 S. Main St.

Nestled in a narrow, 2,600-square-foot space, Bar & Biscuit, besides serving espressos, spirits, wine and beer, will cater its cooking to the brunch and pre- and post-dinner crowds. The floral component will allow customers to buy arrangements and bouquets or simply watch employees create them.

“In the same way as the downtown location, we want someone to come in after a run and feel comfortable bellying up next to someone in a tux about to go to a wedding,” Justin Carpenter said in an email.

In an earlier interview, he said, “We’re trying to do something that’s unique to Tulsa but that is also very respectful to the neighborhood, that really tries to embody what the neighborhood is about.”

The Carpenters were college sweethearts at Wheaton College, the Illinois liberal arts school they attended. Justin Carpenter started Foolish Things Coffee in September 2012, and Katie Carpenter will celebrate her five-year anniversary at Ever Something in a few months.

“He’s so driven and passionate,” Katie said of her husband. “So when he finds something that he really wants to pursue, he kind of goes all in. That was definitely his mindset when it came to opening a retail space.”

With no previous experience in the cafe industry, Justin Carpenter trained at Topeca Coffee before opening his first business. For the Brookside concept, he is being tutored by the drink experts at Valkyrie. Also, working with the Carpenters on cuisine and menu development is chef Philip Phillips, who founded the local Lone Wolf food truck.

“One of the coolest parts for us is being able to collaborate with people in the industry,” Justin Carpenter said. “It’s unique to Tulsa that we have an environment where chefs and restaurateurs and bar owners are willing to partner with people they trust who are going to push the industry forward. It’s flattering for us that we are considered part of that group.”

http://www.tulsaworld.com/business/realestate/coffee-cocktails-and-carnations-husband-wife-team-up-for-new/article_d961f5cb-3458-5aec-b08d-c1236730d616.html
TulsaGoldenHurriCAN
City Father

« Reply #137 on: May 11, 2018, 10:39:42 am »

It will be called Foolish Things Bar and Biscuit

This concept sounds interesting and Foolish Things is great, but that name sounds ridiculous. I won't be surprised if people think it's some kind of dog-friendly bar or dog related place.
hello
Civic Leader

« Reply #138 on: May 11, 2018, 10:47:38 am »

Ever Something is a little out of my price range when I'm trying to buy flowers. I'm sure they're worth it but...yeah.

Tulsa needs something like OKCs Okay Yeah/Plant Shoppe. Great coffee and plant store, with pretty reasonable prices.

rebound
City Father

« Reply #139 on: May 11, 2018, 11:02:33 am »

This concept sounds interesting and Foolish Things is great, but that name sounds ridiculous. I won't be surprised if people think it's some kind of dog-friendly bar or dog related place.

Slight Drift.   We need more dog-friendly bars and restaurants in this town!  On brookside, about the only option is RBar. 

AdamsHall
Civic Leader

« Reply #140 on: May 11, 2018, 12:30:57 pm »

Slight Drift.   We need more dog-friendly bars and restaurants in this town!  On brookside, about the only option is RBar. 

Blue Moon Cafe patio is dog friendly too.
rebound
City Father

« Reply #141 on: May 13, 2018, 06:59:13 pm »

Blue Moon Cafe patio is dog friendly too.

Forgot about that one.  I remember you have to take the dog around the outside.

tulsabug
Civic Leader

« Reply #142 on: December 17, 2021, 07:47:57 am »

Not for nothing I'm reviving the Brookside thread. Hearing something about the church at 36th and Peoria being torn down for  high-end apartments with retail underneath. I have zero to back this up - anyone hear anything?
Tulsan
Civic Leader

« Reply #143 on: December 17, 2021, 10:32:36 am »

Not for nothing I'm reviving the Brookside thread. Hearing something about the church at 36th and Peoria being torn down for  high-end apartments with retail underneath. I have zero to back this up - anyone hear anything?

Looks like it sold to an entity named “Soc Row LLC” on 12-1-21. The zoning was changed from RS-3 to MX1 back in May 2019 in TMAPC. The application for rezoning  was very vague but presumably they’ve had it in mind to market the property for some time.

Will do some more digging and report back, but this rumor appears to have legs.
Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #144 on: December 17, 2021, 11:01:40 am »

Looks like it sold to an entity named “Soc Row LLC” on 12-1-21. The zoning was changed from RS-3 to MX1 back in May 2019 in TMAPC. The application for rezoning  was very vague but presumably they’ve had it in mind to market the property for some time.

I don't know where to find the zoning codes.  What are RS-3 and MX1?

LandArchPoke
Philanthropist

« Reply #145 on: December 17, 2021, 01:26:59 pm »

Not for nothing I'm reviving the Brookside thread. Hearing something about the church at 36th and Peoria being torn down for  high-end apartments with retail underneath. I have zero to back this up - anyone hear anything?

It is happening, Ross Group project. Looks really really nice from the renderings, it is going to piss the neighborhood off to no end I can imagine when renderings are released haha. Not much they can do at this point, zoning is in place so as soon as the debt for construction is secured I would imagine you'll see press releases about it early next year. Church is retaining space in the development and there will be a plaza and ground floor retail with a mix of local and national tenants. Design is pretty modern/contemporary if they don't cheapen it up. It's like a 5x nicer version of the Cosmopolitan. Will be even nicer than the NOMA project, definitely one of the more exciting proposals I've seen in a while if they follow through with the design they have now.
Tulsan
Civic Leader

« Reply #146 on: December 17, 2021, 02:56:38 pm »

Here’s what’s coming. It’s a shame they’re going to tear down that church for this characterless crap. Same architect as the 11th and Lewis deal (“NoMa” lol). Maybe they can call this one SoPa.

LandArchPoke
Philanthropist

« Reply #147 on: December 17, 2021, 03:29:18 pm »

Here’s what’s coming. It’s a shame they’re going to tear down that church for this characterless crap. Same architect as the 11th and Lewis deal (“NoMa” lol). Maybe they can call this one SoPa.

Difference of opinion - frankly I think it's a huge improvement. The church is a big dead space street interaction wise and there is about zero architectural significance to that church outside of the north entry tower off 36th just east of Peoria. The rest of the building is nothing but a generic tin building that had stone slapped on the side with a giant parking lot.

I'll take density with retail up to the sidewalks, will help lengthen the core of Brookside south too.
Tulsan
Civic Leader

« Reply #148 on: December 17, 2021, 03:45:19 pm »

generic tin building

You sure you’re not describing the building in the drawings?
LandArchPoke
Philanthropist

« Reply #149 on: December 17, 2021, 03:50:13 pm »

You sure you’re not describing the building in the drawings?

Grin just difference of opinion. I'll take the tin building in the renderings that extends streetlife and density south versus the tin building church with zero activity, pushed back from the street, and with half the site as a surface parking lot. Being across from the QT in combination that pretty much are the killer of street life that fragments anything south from the more pedestrian part of Brookside north. 
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 16   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org