A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 05:10:20 am
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 16   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Brookside  (Read 105008 times)
Teatownclown
City Father

Put the "fun" back into dysfunctional, Tulsa!

« Reply #90 on: May 06, 2011, 10:35:58 am »

Dead zones make for good parking!
TheTed
City Father

« Reply #91 on: May 06, 2011, 11:21:27 am »

It's amazing how many banks there are. I go to the bank like four times a year. And I'm considering switching from BOK to a bank with an app to deposit checks via smartphone.

Once that happens and my apartment's washer/dryers start accepting credit, I'll never see the inside of a bank again.

SXSW
City Father

« Reply #92 on: May 06, 2011, 12:37:21 pm »

I would argue it is worse than the current building because it has almost no chance of ever becoming anything else.  Yet another bank in Brookside does nothing to add interest to the area and creates a little dead zone a night.

Exactly, the Blockbuster had a death wish 5 years ago and I'm surprised it lasted as long as it did.  That building could've easily been torn down and a new building built to the sidewalk with space for 3-4 small retailers, including a bank if they really wanted to be there.  The advantage would be that Brookside would continue to cater to the pedestrian with sidewalk-facing buildings and not the car with a front parking lot.  It discourages walking which is one of the reasons Brookside is so popular.  

It should've been built like Center One and would've served as a nice gateway into the heart of Brookside from the south..

Nik
Philanthropist

« Reply #93 on: May 08, 2011, 12:11:14 pm »

Noticed the front to the old Ida Red space was remodeled to create a sheltered front patio area.  Any idea if anything is going in?   

Another self serve yogurt place. Not sure which brand.
Teatownclown
City Father

« Reply #94 on: May 08, 2011, 01:24:26 pm »

That's the word. Yogurt shops are todays ice cream parlors. This year there has been many many opened.
Americans can be fooled but most eventually just come full circle.
rdj
City Father

« Reply #95 on: June 08, 2011, 12:15:59 pm »

Is it confirmed that a bank is going in this old Blockbuster?  I have a contact with a financial service company that is looking for a midtown location.  They wouldn't share a spot with a bank.  I hate to have them call the broker, that is like sending someone to a dating site.

Live Generous.  Live Blessed.
Teatownclown
City Father

« Reply #96 on: June 08, 2011, 12:56:29 pm »

yes...confirmed.
stageidea
Civic Leader

« Reply #97 on: June 08, 2011, 12:59:15 pm »

I was hoping for something more exciting than a bank.

Teatownclown
City Father

« Reply #98 on: June 08, 2011, 10:47:08 pm »

Like another boozerie? A tattoo parlor? Another pizza joint?

What did you have in mind?

A bakery? A jewelry store? A used car lot? A car rental lot?

There's not a whole lot of demand period. Just look down the street at the constant turnover. Unfortunately, the trickle down economy drained all the mom and pops from self proprietorship retail. Not many national chains want to go that close to the river nor an area with these demographics unless it's Utica Square.

Banks are a staple in neighborhoods. Keeps money safe from looters unless they go unregulated.

The key ingredient for any successful real estate project is the underlying credit of the occupants. Hence, the best projects don't appear to be what all the "I want this and that" crowd cries out for. Unfortunately, the real pros stay with what's financially feasible. That means companies with solid credit.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2011, 11:35:29 pm by Teatownclown » Logged
Breadburner
City Father

« Reply #99 on: June 08, 2011, 10:53:46 pm »

Like another boozerie?

Or yoga for people stoned and over 60.....

Teatownclown
City Father

« Reply #100 on: June 08, 2011, 11:22:50 pm »

Or yoga for people stoned and over 60.....

Now a marijuana dispensary would be ideal but for the fact we will be the last state to ever legitimize the substance. The nursing homes/assisted living/retirement complexes need to infill downtown to help that area with disposable income. Yoga doesn't need four walls....besides, it's for the balanced and flexible which Tulsa is very short on.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2011, 11:29:32 pm by Teatownclown » Logged
stageidea
Civic Leader

« Reply #101 on: June 09, 2011, 09:55:31 am »

I am not saying that a bank is a negative.  Just not that exciting. 

Of your list I think I would like the Bakery.  But note I would like a "Real" bakery, not another Panera clone.  I am actually surprised it isn't yet another tanning store or nail salon.   

Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #102 on: June 09, 2011, 09:59:38 am »

A bank is fine imo.  Be lovely if they moved it up to the sidewalk and made it more attractive.

I think the bank robbers are probably looking for a place to work and then be able to easily walk over to an entertainment venue or coffee place to spend their ill-gotten booty.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2011, 01:20:16 pm by Townsend » Logged
YoungTulsan
City Father

« Reply #103 on: June 09, 2011, 11:47:35 am »

I said it in my 2008 post, what Brookside needs is more residents first and foremost.  It doesn't even have the population density that it did 20 years ago due to the single family postwar homes now mostly being rent houses for 20somethings, or elderly people who bought the home originally.  New businesses continue to be a risky proposition there until more people actually LIVE there.

SXSW
City Father

« Reply #104 on: February 05, 2012, 12:30:04 pm »

New restaurant/bar concept R Bar is now open where BruHouse used to be (34th & Peoria).  I walked by last night and it was packed.  There is also a new boutique next door (C Grant) that has been open for a few weeks.  They have really modernized that part of the block.

On A Whim (women's boutique from OKC) is also set to open soon in the last vacant spaces in Center One next to Blue Moon.

There is also some serious infill going on in the neighborhood to the east of Peoria.  I counted at least 8 different construction projects in that small area.  Some of it is decent, most of it is crap..

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 16   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org