A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 04:32:42 am
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 16   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Brookside  (Read 105112 times)
joiei
City Father

« Reply #15 on: November 04, 2008, 07:07:42 am »

Unless Billy Sims has improved there product it will not be a showdown.  It be Bad has it all over the football player.

It's hard being a Diamond in a rhinestone world.
stageidea
Civic Leader

« Reply #16 on: November 04, 2008, 12:16:49 pm »

So is Billy Sims going to be the new Rib Crib? Just average food with a massive amount of locations?  

I am not personal fan of their BBQ and so I don't see the need or a reason of why they are expanding so quickly.  

I personally enjoy Stutts House of Barbeque#8206; (stuttshouseofbarbeque.com).

bugo
Civic Leader

« Reply #17 on: November 07, 2008, 08:29:29 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by stageidea

So is Billy Sims going to be the new Rib Crib? Just average food with a massive amount of locations?  

I am not personal fan of their BBQ and so I don't see the need or a reason of why they are expanding so quickly.  
quote:

OU fans who care more about supporting one of their heroes than the quality of the Q.  The meat at Sims is OK, but the sauce wasn't very good IMO.  I don't like sauces that are overly sweet.  I'm going to be working next to a Billy Sims very soon, so I plan on ordering their sandwiches plain and dry and pouring some Gates (www.gatesbbq.com) sauce on it.

What's the Q like?  What kind of sauce do they use?  How sweet/spicy is it, and is it tomato based or molasses based?  The prices are definitely reasonable.  I'm interested in trying it next time I'm in that area.

Are the "rib tips" anything like Kansas City-style burnt ends?
joiei
City Father

« Reply #18 on: November 07, 2008, 09:13:21 pm »

I just had BBQ that beat the heck out of Sims.  It is Buffalo BBQ up in Sperry, it is the trailer in the Daylight Doughnut parking lot.  Excellent stuff.  The half order was shared 3 ways.  Worth the drive, yes.  I had ribs, sliced and hotlinks.  Good beans and homemade slaw.  It isn't a restaurant although there is a picnic table there.  It is only open Mon-Fri for lunch and dinner.  On weekends, the owner is usually off competing at a bbq cookoff somewhere.

It's hard being a Diamond in a rhinestone world.
SXSW
City Father

« Reply #19 on: March 02, 2011, 08:42:27 am »

Video rental stores are a dying breed.  Blockbusters have been thinning out rapidly, however that one is probably doing well due to all of its competition going out of business.  Maybe it'll be gone in a few more years.

Good call.  I noticed yesterday that the Blockbuster at 36th & Peoria is going out of business and everything in the store is now on sale.  That is a prime corner in Brookside, I wonder what will take its place?  I'm sure Aberson (developer of the Consortium and Center 1) is interested, and whatever they do I hope they raze the Blockbuster and build up to the sidewalk.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2011, 08:46:38 am by SXSW » Logged

Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #20 on: March 02, 2011, 09:08:31 am »

Good call.  I noticed yesterday that the Blockbuster at 36th & Peoria is going out of business and everything in the store is now on sale.  That is a prime corner in Brookside, I wonder what will take its place?  I'm sure Aberson (developer of the Consortium and Center 1) is interested, and whatever they do I hope they raze the Blockbuster and build up to the sidewalk.

CVS?  Shut my mouth.
swake
T-Town Elder

« Reply #21 on: March 02, 2011, 09:34:48 am »

CVS?  Shut my mouth.

A small hotel?
Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #22 on: March 02, 2011, 09:55:18 am »

A small hotel?

Well that'd be much better.
OurTulsa
« Reply #23 on: March 02, 2011, 12:41:29 pm »

Oh Crap - that's a prime corner for a CVS and they will kick that bastad back quick - oh, the horror! 

On the flip side, what an opportunity site!  Development there has the ability extend the urban context of Brookside to the south.  If done well an 'end cap so to speak' could really help emphasize the 'there or place' element of Brookside - really reinforce Brookside as both a neighborhood commercial node and a small regional destination.  Unfortunately, our City hasn't had the capacity or the initiative to be proactive with development outcomes - maybe that could change with an on-coming planning director but that may be too late.
YoungTulsan
City Father

« Reply #24 on: March 02, 2011, 01:34:52 pm »

I don't think the lot is big enough for a CVS, thank god.

Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #25 on: March 02, 2011, 01:46:17 pm »

I don't think the lot is big enough for a CVS, thank god.

Those houses to the East look pretty vulnerable.  I'm hoping for better though.  I'm sure the condo owners behind Starbucks are too.
SXSW
City Father

« Reply #26 on: March 02, 2011, 01:56:34 pm »

On the flip side, what an opportunity site!  Development there has the ability extend the urban context of Brookside to the south.  If done well an 'end cap so to speak' could really help emphasize the 'there or place' element of Brookside - really reinforce Brookside as both a neighborhood commercial node and a small regional destination.  Unfortunately, our City hasn't had the capacity or the initiative to be proactive with development outcomes - maybe that could change with an on-coming planning director but that may be too late.

Agree.  Though I think Brookside has enough pull to not allow CVS, or to at least make them build to the sidewalk.  I'm hoping Aberson redevelops that site.  I know some dislike Center 1 aka "the white district" but I love how they front the sidewalk with big windows and how they are full of local businesses.  Aberson has said he wants to reinforce Brookside as a locally-owned business district.  Retail and/or a new restaurant with patio seating would be a big improvement at that corner.  I'd also like to see the parallel street parking extended south past 35th Pl and the left turn lanes eliminated on Peoria which would make that area more pedestrian-friendly than it is now.

The yellow is the Blockbuster, which would be demolished, and the red is the new building fronting the sidewalk with glass along Peoria and 36th.  The blue is an infill building on the small parking lot south of Starbucks that would be perfect for a restaurant with outdoor seating as it sits back further from the street like the adjacent Pei Wei/Starbucks.  The streetscape with the trees next to the parallel parking areas would also be extended to 36th.  All parking would be behind the buildings with access off 35th Pl and 36th St.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2011, 01:58:52 pm by SXSW » Logged

Renaissance
City Father

« Reply #27 on: March 29, 2011, 04:15:41 pm »

Jerry Reeves has the Blockbuster site under contract pending rejection of the lease in bankruptcy proceedings.  Sounds like the site will be renovated for multiple retail tenants.

Link: http://tulsabusiness.com/main.asp?SectionID=24&SubSectionID=90&ArticleID=52485
Quinton
Activist

« Reply #28 on: March 29, 2011, 07:49:59 pm »

Stutts has been great for years.Went there a week ago.

Liberalism is a mental disorder
guido911
T-Town Elder

« Reply #29 on: March 29, 2011, 08:51:53 pm »

Stutts has been great for years.Went there a week ago.
Their menu looks fairly simple. And simple is terrific.

http://www.stuttshouseofbarbeque.com/menu.htm

As a victim of his crap, do ya think this post will pass our self-appointed policeman's content test?

Someone get Hoss a pacifier.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 16   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org