A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 09:34:41 am
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 16   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Brookside  (Read 105017 times)
mrB
« on: October 27, 2008, 01:50:37 pm »

Billy Sims is moving into the neighborhood at 38th & Peoria. East side, north end of the Brookside Market. Opposite end of strip from Webers'. Gonna have drive thru Q!

Billy & Elmer, is the Restless Ribbon ready for a Q show down?

And center 1 has new tenant going in to new unfinished space on the corner of 34th & Peoria, "Pohlenz Cucine Moderne".

Looks like center 1 is just getting longer and whiter! Maybe the brick could have been left alone and given the businesses an individualized character about them. center 1 could be center 13.
quote:

For the record
By World Staff Reports
10/26/2008

Commercial Building Permits

(Listed by owner, tenant or building name. Weekly update lists new commercial construction, expansions and enlargements of more than $50,000. Information is from initial applications and is subject to change. Dollar amount is valuation declared by owner.)

Pohlenz Cucine Moderne LLC, 3402 S. Peoria Ave., interior alteration- interior finish, $70,000.

Scott Pohlenz’s Summary
In December 2008, I am opening my Tulsa, Oklahoma showroom and design studio "Pohlenz Cucine Moderne". We are an exclusive dealer for "Valcucine" in Oklahoma, Missouri, Kansas and Arkansas. Valcucine is an Italian kitchen cabinet manufacturer who is commited to sustainable design and dematerialization.

Through our design studio, we offer design resource services to Architects, Interior Designers, Contractors, and End Users.

Scott Pohlenz’s Specialties:
Licensed Architect
http://www.linkedin.com/pub/dir/scott/pohlenz
http://www.center1tulsa.com/

jmikeh
Citizen

« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2008, 02:06:03 pm »

That will be interesting.

It's not bar-b-que.  It's boomer-que!
Ibanez
City Father

« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2008, 02:10:12 pm »

I've eaten at the Billy Simms location in The Farm twice.

The food was average at best.

I will not be going back.
joiei
City Father

« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2008, 04:38:43 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by wavoka

I've eaten at the Billy Simms location in The Farm twice.

The food was average at best.

I will not be going back.

I had the same experience.  It just isn't good bbq.  At least as I like bbq.  Others may love and God bless ya, you can have my share of the Billy Sims version.

It's hard being a Diamond in a rhinestone world.
sgrizzle
Kung Fu Treachery
T-Town Elder

Inconceivable!

« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2008, 05:24:33 pm »

I've had it. I really dont know what Billy Sim is famous for, but obviously it;s not culinary talent.

It's not bad but not amazing either.
jmikeh
Citizen

« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2008, 08:49:15 am »

I am hoping JR's Place comes to to T-Town eventually.  I have heard amazing things about his BBQ restaurants in the OKC area.

Renaissance
City Father

« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2008, 09:16:32 am »

quote:
Originally posted by sgrizzle

I've had it. I really dont know what Billy Sim is famous for, but obviously it's not culinary talent.

So you're not a Sooner . . .

Billy Sims is one of OU's four Heisman winners and one of the great rushers in college football history.  And one of the nicest guys you'll ever meet.  Most Saturday gamedays in Norman he drives down Lindsay with the windows down and gives the Boomer Sooner to the tailgaters.  

On Topic:
His BBQ is no Elmer's but it is serviceable.  It will a nice addition to Brookside.
Steve
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2008, 10:06:48 am »

Yea, being a great football player doesn't mean your restaurant is going to have great food!

I only crave BBQ about once a year; I really have to be in the mood for it.  When I am, 99.9% of the time I end up at the old Knotty Pine on Charles Page in west Tulsa.  The ambience may be lacking, but for my money and personal taste, it is the best in town.

SXSW
City Father

« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2008, 02:23:49 pm »

Wasn't there once a yogurt shop there?  I don't particularly like that strip mall there but it at least it's well-kept and full.  I'd rather see something like the building next to it to the north of 38th where the salon and Fuji reside that fronts the street.  Really want to see that Blockbuster go at 36th for the same reason.

YoungTulsan
City Father

« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2008, 02:29:40 pm »

Video rental stores are a dying breed.  Blockbusters have been thinning out rapidly, however that one is probably doing well due to all of its competition going out of business.  Maybe it'll be gone in a few more years.

The old Hollywood video is sitting empty still, on the subject of brookside.  So is the Delta Cafe.  There were rumors of something opening there, but it has been a long time now.

I think Brookside could use a nice gym.

But then again, whenever the subject of Brookside business comes up, I always stress the need to add more PEOPLE to brookside first, or else shops/restaurants will keep opening/closing without true critical mass, only a "trendy" appeal.

charky
Civic Leader

« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2008, 04:07:17 pm »

Yeah...Billy Sims BBQ is pretty average. I've tried it a couple of times...and probably won't go back.

Did have a great experience though at the location in the Farm not long after it opened. Took my wife and mother-in-law...and Billy was there wiping down the tables. He introduced himself...asked all of our names and had a nice 5-10 minute conversation. One hell of a nice guy.

OurTulsa
« Reply #11 on: October 29, 2008, 12:46:48 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by YoungTulsan

Video rental stores are a dying breed.  Blockbusters have been thinning out rapidly, however that one is probably doing well due to all of its competition going out of business.  Maybe it'll be gone in a few more years.

The old Hollywood video is sitting empty still, on the subject of brookside.  So is the Delta Cafe.  There were rumors of something opening there, but it has been a long time now.

But then again, whenever the subject of Brookside business comes up, I always stress the need to add more PEOPLE to brookside first, or else shops/restaurants will keep opening/closing without true critical mass, only a "trendy" appeal.

Don't say that too loudly, there are some in the Brookside neighborhood that will want to wring you out.  They like Brookside as a neighborhood commercial district as opposed to a regional commercial district.

I've heard rumors that a fitness center is pursuing the old Hollywood Video space.  Like most rumors, we'll see.  What's wrong with Fitso besides the fact that it has little to no street presence in the district.  That aside, it's a nice Gym.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2008, 12:48:02 pm by OurTulsa » Logged
YoungTulsan
City Father

« Reply #12 on: October 29, 2008, 02:42:01 pm »

No I agree that Brookside is best as a haven for LOCAL business.  But local businesses can get into the urban dense scene, if the critical mass is there.  Sitting idly by while outside groups like Bomasada come in and build the density is not the answer.  Local builders, pounce on it.

When, as I've described it, desirability is high but quality of dwellings is low to such an extreme that single 20-somethings are paying $800-1000/month to rent 1950s construction rotten huts with little modern amenities, the market forces are there.  At the same time, renters without families are killing the population density because thats all there is available right now.  One renter occupying an entire house does not equal density.  New, modern, upper-mid-range priced (Not necessarily super rich) apartment/condo dwellings are needed by the bushel in Brookside.  Bomasada is meeting the need, but they will be sending $$ out of Tulsa.

Nik
Philanthropist

« Reply #13 on: October 30, 2008, 07:03:59 am »

quote:

What's wrong with Fitso? There is also the Yoga Room.
bugo
Civic Leader

« Reply #14 on: November 04, 2008, 12:09:28 am »

quote:
Originally posted by mrB

Billy Sims is moving into the neighborhood at 38th & Peoria. East side, north end of the Brookside Market. Opposite end of strip from Webers'. Gonna have drive thru Q!

Billy & Elmer, is the Restless Ribbon ready for a Q show down?

I can't think of any reason to go to Billy Sims when Elmer's is just down the road.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 16   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org