A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 04:56:37 am
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Bocce Ball  (Read 9245 times)
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« on: October 20, 2008, 09:33:49 am »

Anyone else ever play?

I got invited to a party at a friend's house yesterday which revolved around a Bocce Ball tournament.  Great fun, I'd never played before and was only vaguely aware such a game existed.

I think it would be great to get a "league" of sorts going down in Riverparks, or at the croquet lawn at LaFortune Park.

FMI:

http://www.bocceballsets.com/

http://www.bocceballrules.net/

http://www.ibocce.com/rules.html

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
sgrizzle
Kung Fu Treachery
T-Town Elder

Inconceivable!

« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2008, 09:59:27 am »

I've played before but it's generally only popular amongst the AARP crowd.
mobboss
Activist

« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2008, 12:17:34 pm »

pretty fun game, i play with friends once a year when im in denver.. we tend to let drinking interfere though. maybe that wouldnt be too good for league play, but it never stopped bowlers did it?

zach

PonderInc
City Dweller
City Father

« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2008, 12:32:37 pm »

I'd definitely play Bocce, though I think I'm better at Petanque. (French version, slightly different game.)  Quite fun...and not an AARP member in sight!  

Much like bowling, in that drinking improves your game...right up to the point where it hurts your game!
Breadburner
City Father

« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2008, 03:41:55 pm »

Bob Stoops is an expert....

we vs us
City Father

« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2008, 07:17:41 am »

Whilst in Chicago, I was privileged to take part in the Bocce for Bad Bowels fundraiser and tournament.  Don't laugh.  It really does exist.

I'd be happy to partake in a bit of Tulsabocce.  Of course, I suck at it, but that's never stopped me before. PM me and I'll show up.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2008, 07:19:21 am by we vs us » Logged
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2008, 08:48:05 am »

quote:
Originally posted by we vs us

Whilst in Chicago, I was privileged to take part in the Bocce for Bad Bowels fundraiser and tournament.  Don't laugh.  It really does exist.

I'd be happy to partake in a bit of Tulsabocce.  Of course, I suck at it, but that's never stopped me before. PM me and I'll show up.

Think you could talk the missus into it as well?

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
AngieB
Proud Westsider
City Father

« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2008, 08:54:36 am »

Could we do a TulsaNow fundraiser or something? Like get the Vision Builders warehouse and have Parbuster put down artificial turf and have a tournament. With beer.

I'd totally be in!
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2008, 08:44:08 am »

quote:
Originally posted by TulsaMINI

Could we do a TulsaNow fundraiser or something? Like get the Vision Builders warehouse and have Parbuster put down artificial turf and have a tournament. With beer.

I'd totally be in!

Smokin' idea.  Would your DH play?

AngieB
Proud Westsider
City Father

« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2008, 09:26:06 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Conan71

quote:
Originally posted by TulsaMINI

I'd totally be in!

Smokin' idea.  Would your DH play?

I think I could talk him into it!
Wilbur
« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2008, 04:20:31 pm »

I play and have a court set up in my backyard (although, it's grass instead of sand).  It's always a hit when family visits.

And folks of all ages play, much to the dismay of Sgrizzle.
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #11 on: October 22, 2008, 04:27:11 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Wilbur

I play and have a court set up in my backyard (although, it's grass instead of sand).  It's always a hit when family visits.

Tourney at Wilburs!!!!

OurTulsa
« Reply #12 on: October 22, 2008, 04:27:31 pm »

Bocce is an excellent social game.  Bocce was somewhat of a family tradition for us.  My Nona's hood had two small dirt fields near the main square where you could always find a game; the convenience store owner always had a set of balls for use...my brothers and I would go play when bored.  Family's would play each other for bragging rights in the hood.  

It gets really fun when you start making up conditions to play by like increasing the distance of the pitch, throwing over the head, drunk and blind-folded, speed tossing (three balls with 5-7 seconds), or combat bocce where multiple games are crossing each other...

There's a restaurant in The Hill in St. Louis that have bocce tournies with regularity.  I hear the turn-out was always fairly significant.  

I actually have a cheap bocce set I keep in my trunk in case I happen on a social gathering.  The new park downtown appears perfect for such a tournament.  Call the time and I'll show and bring my set!!!  Someone pitch in to bring the small tables and chairs and wine and we'll call it an event!
sgrizzle
Kung Fu Treachery
T-Town Elder

Inconceivable!

« Reply #13 on: October 22, 2008, 06:08:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Wilbur

I didn't say it was ONLY certain ages, just more popular with the AARP crowd.

You've got your membership, right?

[Cheesy]
AngieB
Proud Westsider
City Father

« Reply #14 on: October 22, 2008, 06:10:53 pm »

I have a Bocce set too...though I don't carry it around in the trunk (or, in my case, the boot).
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org