A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 12:18:01 pm
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: NYC Pizza  (Read 5095 times)
Rex
« on: October 17, 2008, 02:37:15 pm »

This place is great! It's at 48th and Harvard by the Spirit Bank.  The pizza is really good.
PonderInc
City Dweller
City Father

« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2008, 02:57:36 pm »

They also make incredible cannoli!  They don't fill the shells until you place the order, so you'll get crispy shells with incredibly rich, creamy filling.
mrburns918
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2008, 02:59:37 pm »

A month ago was the first time I went to NY Pizza and it was great. I went back night before last, not so good. I will try NY Pizza again, everyone is entitled to a bad day.

I loves me some pizza.

Umberto's? Always good.

Mr. Burns
unknown
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2008, 03:04:28 pm »

Better than Marios? I've been tempted to try it, but with Marios across the highway... I can't seem to make it there.
MsProudSooner
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2008, 03:31:07 pm »

I like it as well as Mario's.  I think the guy who owns NYC is related to the guy who started Mario's.
Gold
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2008, 03:39:30 pm »

The guy who started NYC actually started Mario's.  Both are good, but I prefer Mario's.  The white pizza is one of the marvels of the modern world.
danno
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2008, 05:08:52 pm »

Went one time about 3 months ago on a weeknight, and I hate to say that I didn't have a very good experience. I walk in, approach the counter, and the kid says in a surly tone, "What's your name?." Kind of confused as to why he wants to know my name, I tell him. Kid responds (again in surly tone), "What do you want?!" I tell him that I want two slices of pepperoni and a large drink. Without saying anything, he hands me a tiny clear plastic dixie cup. I look around and notice that every other patron in the place is drinking from a large styrofoam cup. I hold up the tiny dixie cup that the kid gave me and ask him if it is a large, and he says "yeah," and goes on about his business. I'm pissed off at this point, but I decide to sit and wait for my pizza. About 20 minutes go by, and I have not gotten my food yet (customers that came in and ordered after me had already been served), and I am getting irritated further. Finally, the same kid from earlier comes by with my pizza and says "I'm really sorry dude." The pizza itself was ok, but I really didn't like the way they spoke to me as a customer...and the dixie cup thing really rubbed me the wrong way. I'll stick with Mario's, thank you.
Kashmir
Civic Leader

"My name is Talking Tina and I think I hate you"

« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2008, 04:52:07 pm »

Yeah that.  He was yelling at his dad or whoever last time we were in and kept screaming "J**** C****!  G**D*****!"  We were the only ones in there eating and it felt we were intruding on some sordid family episode.  Haven't been back!
Markk
Civic Leader

« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2008, 04:58:15 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by danno

Went one time about 3 months ago on a weeknight, and I hate to say that I didn't have a very good experience. I walk in, approach the counter, and the kid says in a surly tone, "What's your name?." Kind of confused as to why he wants to know my name, I tell him. Kid responds (again in surly tone), "What do you want?!" I tell him that I want two slices of pepperoni and a large drink. Without saying anything, he hands me a tiny clear plastic dixie cup. I look around and notice that every other patron in the place is drinking from a large styrofoam cup. I hold up the tiny dixie cup that the kid gave me and ask him if it is a large, and he says "yeah," and goes on about his business. I'm pissed off at this point, but I decide to sit and wait for my pizza. About 20 minutes go by, and I have not gotten my food yet (customers that came in and ordered after me had already been served), and I am getting irritated further. Finally, the same kid from earlier comes by with my pizza and says "I'm really sorry dude." The pizza itself was ok, but I really didn't like the way they spoke to me as a customer...and the dixie cup thing really rubbed me the wrong way. I'll stick with Mario's, thank you.

During the ice storm, they had power when few others did, and kept me well fed for a couple of days.  Good pizza.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2008, 04:59:06 pm by Markk » Logged
mobboss
Activist

« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2008, 08:18:24 pm »

i think when kenny and his dad argue, its just new york, i go when its busy hoping they are in  a tuned up mood. you may not realize how tough it is to work alongside family EVERY DAY, but those little things get to you.

you want white washed generic food and service with a smile, go to mazzios or some chain.

their pizza is top notch, and not only new york style flavor, but new york attitude as well. and that's great by me.

rays, famous rays, rays famous, bari, nonni's, alta, grimaldi's,  they all got that same deal goin

FUGGEDABOUDIT
zach

Kashmir
Civic Leader

"My name is Talking Tina and I think I hate you"

« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2008, 08:24:41 am »

quote:
Originally posted by mobboss

i think when kenny and his dad argue, its just new york, i go when its busy hoping they are in  a tuned up mood. you may not realize how tough it is to work alongside family EVERY DAY, but those little things get to you.

you want white washed generic food and service with a smile, go to mazzios or some chain.

their pizza is top notch, and not only new york style flavor, but new york attitude as well. and that's great by me.

Ha, I know they have attitude, Mario's does too, and I feel it's just part of the shtick.  They actually have always been really great.  I don't order Mazzio's or chain pizza either, with the exception of Imo's when I am in Missouri.
There are lots of family owned businesses around with great eats and they don't seem to find it too difficult to not be jerks.
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #11 on: October 20, 2008, 09:09:05 am »

quote:
Originally posted by mobboss

rays, famous rays, rays famous, bari, nonni's, alta, grimaldi's,  they all got that same deal goin

FUGGEDABOUDIT
zach

Heh, I hung out with your brother at a Bocce Ball gathering yesterday.  Pretty fun clomping down the memory lane of the alternative publishing business in Tulsa.

Anyone try the new pizza place in the old McDonalds on 11th & Pittsburg yet?  My neighbor had invited me last week, but I'd already made plans.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
grahambino
« Reply #12 on: October 20, 2008, 10:56:27 am »

in a photo finish, i say Mario's by a nose, but NYC pizza is certainly worth your business as well.
sgrizzle
Kung Fu Treachery
T-Town Elder

Inconceivable!

« Reply #13 on: October 20, 2008, 11:19:48 am »

But who does deep dish chicago style?
PonderInc
City Dweller
City Father

« Reply #14 on: October 20, 2008, 12:25:53 pm »

Savastanos has Chicago style pizza.  Way out in the burbs at 111 and Memorial.  They make a thing that's so deep, you'd need snowshoes to walk across it.  You can also special order Italian sausage from them.

Pretty good pizza...I just don't often feel the need to travel that far to eat it.  Last time I was there I think I heard the owner talking about moving next to the Spirit Center.  Not sure when.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org